Good Solicitor for Brisbane

hello Team

i recently bought a place in Everton Park and found many contacts mostly here on the forums. I also found a lawyer whom i found through a real estate agent at sunnybank who was very good and profession and most of all not expensive !

$700 approx for a complete buy and top class service. I have bought in Sydney many times and always used my local solicitor who has been ok but been gettings young people at his office to do the work. I never shopped around after dealing with TDT, i will .. competition is always good for everyone ....

TDT Lawyers
141 Inala Avenue (PO Box 17), Inala Qld 4077 | Telephone (07) 3372 9555 | Facsimile (07) 3372 9200

Thanks for posting. What was the total price including disbursements? going to start looking in Brisbane now and wanted to get an idea on approximate costs.

just what i needed

thanks thokkotu, just as I was gonna ask for one too :D

Does anyone else have any other recommendations for solicitors or conveyancers in Brissy as well?

Thanks Dave

I have attached a list of the searches that you might conduct in QLD to give people an idea of costs.

If the Qld Conveyancing Protocol is not followed and we don't conduct the recommended searches, we pay a huge excess on our insurance. The recommended searches can come to $800 by themselves.

As an absolute minimum, the following should be done:
Current Title Search x 2
Registered Plan
Land Tax
Rates
Special Water Meter Reading

Totals $327.32

One thing to bear in mind with conveyancing is that it is the number 1 claim by both volume and amount on solicitor's insurance in Qld and NSW (I assume other states also). I have never understood the looking for a cheap conveyance price on what is such a large transaction, with such high costs if it goes wrong. There are cheap firms who can do an outstanding job, and there are expensive ones who can do a crap job. When looking for conveyancing I would be asking how it is done in that firm and be more concerned with that than the price.

Some firms only use solicitors to conduct each conveyance and have 1 solicitor in charge of each file. Many other places do not use solicitors to actually conduct the file (only law firms can do conveyancing in QLD but that doesn't mean they get solicitors to do it). Some also use teams, that is a team of people handle the receipt of the contract, a different team handles the first letters, another team handles the searches etc etc etc. They are effectively a factory. Great for them on a cost basis, not great for you having lots of different people handling the file, not the same contact. Other places will have a paralegal do the work but only have a couple of paralegals per solicitor.

It varies greatly and prices are not always an indicator if this, as some of the most prolific advertisers are dearer than some of the firms who do it properly, and some of the cheaper ones may be a one man band who does it very well.

I know of several QLD firms that will act for both the buyer and seller in the same transaction. An ethical and legal nightmare waiting to happen.

A conveyance not only involves an expensive asset, there are stamp duty and land tax issues that can add enormous sums to the transaction, also body corporate levies can be massive.

We have been involved in numerous transactions this year alone that could have costs our clients large sums of money had we not been on top of things. Best example:

1. Unit development being sold by receiver, units needed hundreds of thousands of dollars of rectification work to be fixed so a body corporate levy in the tens of thousands per unit levied. BC involved in litigation with receiver. Receiver wanted us to pay whole amount to them, we wouldn't settle unless levy was paid to BC. We turned up to settle on 2 separate occasions and almost got to going to Court over it until receiver relented and settled. Numerous other buyers settled on the property, paid the receiver and are now left with large BC bills. That meant that numerous other law firms allowed their clients to settle on the purchase without either doing the correct searches on the body corp or without understanding the legal swifty the receiver was trying to pull.

If solicitors charged on an hourly basis, some of our conveyances would come to thousands of dollars. Yet most charge under $1,000. Also make sure that the price you are quoted is fixed. If you have to pay extra for extensions to finance clauses, B&P or a settlement fee, hourly rate to talk to a solicitor etc the cheaper initial quote can not be so cheap.

This forum is a great resource for things like this, you get recommendations from people who have used the firms even when you live across the other side of the planet.

Attachments

• Residential Enquires - Buyer.pdf
    218.7 KB · Views: 491
i am not sure how many ppl on forum is aware of that Darryl also knows Trust, Asset protection, and Setting up structure back to front.

He has setup our trust and corporate structure for us!

If solicitors charged on an hourly basis, some of our conveyances would come to thousands of dollars. Yet most charge under $1,000. Also make sure that the price you are quoted is fixed. If you have to pay extra for extensions to finance clauses, B&P or a settlement fee, hourly rate to talk to a solicitor etc the cheaper initial quote can not be so cheap.

I agree with everything RPI wrote above, but want to add that I have worked in two different law firms at different ends of the spectrum.

1. Was out in the suburbs. They 'employed' more students than lawyers. Students did the conveyancing largely unsupervised. Some even told clients they were lawyers! Price $700

2. Was in the CBD and we charged by the hour for everything, including conveyancing. I did several matters and the charges were from $3,000 to $11,000 (tricky one). These were for normal residential properties ranging from $500,000 in value to $1mil. Many of the clients were also solicitors working in other firms - they could have done it themselves but chose not to.

Now in my firm I get a property lawyer with 10 years experience to do my conveyancing matters. He does all the work himself too.

Note on the use of students - each law student must do 15 weeks supervised legal work to be admitted as a lawyer. It is very rare for a student to find a place willing to pay them so for most this is free work. As a result there are many companies out there that exploit the students and run their businesses largely on free labour. There is a big cut price conveyancing firm that does this. Run by 2 lawyers I think most or all of the staff are students who work for free.

Thanks Dave

IWe have been involved in numerous transactions this year alone that could have costs our clients large sums of money had we not been on top of things. Best example:

1. Unit development being sold by receiver, units needed hundreds of thousands of dollars of rectification work to be fixed so a body corporate levy in the tens of thousands per unit levied. BC involved in litigation with receiver. Receiver wanted us to pay whole amount to them, we wouldn't settle unless levy was paid to BC. We turned up to settle on 2 separate occasions and almost got to going to Court over it until receiver relented and settled. Numerous other buyers settled on the property, paid the receiver and are now left with large BC bills. That meant that numerous other law firms allowed their clients to settle on the purchase without either doing the correct searches on the body corp or without understanding the legal swifty the receiver was trying to pull.

Hi Darryl. Which unit complex is this? I wouldn't mind the heads up on this. PM me please if you are uncomfortable putting it on an open forum.

I agree that $700 is cheap- about 1/2 the price my firm charges. I made a decision not to go with the cost conscious client and I frequently get "so and so can do it cheaper but we would rather go with you". My view is that the job needs to be done properly- it will take time and as a lawyer time is what I sell.

Funny thing was I saw a Conveyancing Works quote the other day and after the ad-ons my fees were cheaper! I upped my fees to match them.

The reality is that with banks reducing staff it just sucks up more and more time to do a standard conveyance (and there are more and more pitfalls- such as Darryl mentions).

On Mortgagee sales I usually charge at the hourly rate (3-4k in fees). For an off the plan it will be higher than an existing cottage conveyance.

As for TDT- he's been around for years so I suppose he can't be too bad. He'll have insurance anyway!:D

Back