Got my Australian Citizenship today

Pretty sure it's 4 years in Oz with last year being permanent resident.
Residency requirement is not more than 1 year out of Oz overall and not more than 90 days out in the last year.

This I reckon is correct. Four years with last year with PR is enough to apply for citizenship.

No that's just how long it's taken me. I think you may be able to become a citizen after being a permanent resident for 2 years? I may be wrong...

It definitely used to be 2 years, maybe it's changed.

One of the easiest countries to get citizenship is Ireland, I became a citizen and I'd never been there and neither had my parents (grandmother was born in Belfast).
So that's three citizenships and passports, now working on a fourth.

I think for me it was more for practical reasons that I applied for Aussie citizenship as I had to relinquish my original citizenship.

1. I had to apply for re-entry visa into Australia every 5 years. If the period lapsed while I was in Australia it would be very difficult for me to regain my PR.

2. If I did not apply for citizenship I couldn't get HECS and be denied the opportunity to apply for some scholarships. Luckily, I applied for one when I had PR and quickly applied for citizenship before they asked to see my passport.

3. My brother applied for Australian citizenship because country of our origin has mandatory conscription for men. Not that he would be conscripted but would be if war erupted but at that time tension between the neighbouring country was high.

4. My father applied for Australian citizenship because he was almost refused his PR renewal on the fifth renewal and he had his parent's estate issue sorted.

5. My mother took up citizenship, just in case my father may not get his renewal approved so that she could invite him to Australia on spousal visa.

6. Main reason for not taking up citizenship is because at that time when we were here in the 80s, you would automatically lose the citizenship of our original country, and should we inherit anything we would have to dispose of any real estate within a year of acquisition. My father being the eldest had high chance of inheriting something from his parents. With FTA and opening up of international borders I don't know whether we would have held on to our original citizenship as long as we did. Because foreign ownership of real estate is allowed now which was not allowed until the late 90s.

7. Applying for citizenship is not only about "feeling Australian". Even if I had felt Aussie there would have been other consideration that would have had to be made.

Back