GPS trackers to locate stolen cars

I have been learning about GPS trackers to locate stolen cars over the last few days.
It seems the solution is pretty easy if I want to spend a lot of money for the hardware , pay installation costs ,buy yearly prepaid sims cards in addition to $US49 a month to a provider which provides tracking ability.

I would be interested in solutions others have come across and what to avoid.
I am guessing there are economical solutions out there that are just as efffective as the more expensive solutions

You don't have insurance?
You can pay a company to track it, or get one that SMSs it's coords to your phone which allows you to look it up on google.

Reminds me of the days when this technology first came out about 10-15 years ago.

I recall the transport company I was working for fitting one of these devices to a prime mover incase the payload got stolen; which eventually it did.

Only problem was the tracker was fitted to the truck cab, which was dumped about 20kms after the robbery. It was the trailer that the crooks were after - from memory a couple of hundred grands worth of ciggies, most of which were missing by the time the trailer was located a couple of weeks later.....

Most of the vehicle manufacturers in the US include this feature as an aftermarket accessory - like GM and OnStar.

Cheers
Buddybee

You don't have insurance?
You can pay a company to track it, or get one that SMSs it's coords to your phone which allows you to look it up on google.
my excess is $500 and i would prefer to have my car back rather than the money. Locating the car quickly would probably save my car from being used as parts

Back