granny flat bins, meters, and letterbox

Hi all,
We got our approved granny flat finished and ready to be rented out. Might be just some silly questions but wanting to get some ideas from those who've done it.

Bins - Do we share existing bins with the main residence? Or does granny flat gets its own set of bins from the council?

Meter - I've read about this in SS where we share the same meter and include electricity in rent, OR have seperate meters. Has anyone done the seperate metering option? If so, does the tenant use the correct "meter number" to get connected and billed?

Letterbox - GF doesn't get assigned its own number by the council, does it? So, do you just put like the letter "A" at the back of the house number and give them a seperate letterbox?

Just the nitty gritty details to be finalised. Hope someone can help.
Thanks,
Junie

Bins - Do we share existing bins with the main residence? Or does granny flat gets its own set of bins from the council?
Ring council and get a 2nd set of bins delivered. Your rates will go up to include the extra service.

Meter - I've read about this in SS where we share the same meter and include electricity in rent, OR have seperate meters. Has anyone done the seperate metering option? If so, does the tenant use the correct "meter number" to get connected and billed?
Get a meter separation done. Your electrician can prep the whole thing and then a contractor from the electricity provider will come out and put in an extra meter.

Letterbox - GF doesn't get assigned its own number by the council, does it? So, do you just put like the letter "A" at the back of the house number and give them a seperate letterbox?
2nd letterbox with "A" as you suggest.

You can get the plumber to install a flow meter between the house and granny flat too. Your PM will need to read this meter, so the water bills can be split (otherwise you as LL will pay for water).

I like to keep everything separate

Blacktown council charges extra for another red bin in the rates, the second recycling is free. Total cost is maybe an extra 110 bucks a year?

I have separate elec meters and they are billed separately and directly. Water meter is one for both with a water flow meter that the agents read and then separate water use for the tenants.

I have two letter boxes the gf gets the A ie 33A.

I also separately fence, so they are like their own villas with defined spaces

I like to keep everything separate

Blacktown council charges extra for another red bin in the rates, the second recycling is free. Total cost is maybe an extra 110 bucks a year?

I have separate elec meters and they are billed separately and directly. Water meter is one for both with a water flow meter that the agents read and then separate water use for the tenants.

I have two letter boxes the gf gets the A ie 33A.

I also separately fence, so they are like their own villas with defined spaces

I have the same setup except the water metre. The usage component of the water bill isn't worth the hassle of reading and claiming. I simply included in the rent. At least from bank's point of view, we are getting more rent :D

We just finished our GF and these are a valuable extra details that make it run easier.
We paid for a complete set of bins which were charged as a separate service on the existing house rates.
Council know if you have a CDC or DA and will not let you have a "extra set of bins" at the cheaper rate....(unless you don't have approval...;))
The water and electric meters are placed right at the same location to make readings easier.
Integral Energy meters fitted so you can have a separate service account for the tenants.
Letterbox is easy as the postie will sort out the 10 and 10A addresses - just have them in a sensible location so the postie can find them.

A PM told me that QLD electricity utilities will not allow installation of a second electricity meter unless you provide evidence of council approval for the dwelling. Has anyone else heard of this??

A PM told me that QLD electricity utilities will not allow installation of a second electricity meter unless you provide evidence of council approval for the dwelling. Has anyone else heard of this??

It would be fiscally irresponsible to have a rental dwelling that is not approved, there is heaps of anecdotal, and jurisprudicial(?), evidence of landlords being penalised beyound the income from the property.
the issue should not arise.
Building code and wiring rules are not optional
a statutory authority, is constrained to comply with the regulations, so will not connect an unapproved anything

The water and electric meters are placed right at the same location to make readings easier.

The only problem with water meters is whenever you dont have tenants you still pay hefty water-meter rental fees.

I advise my investors to just up the rent slightly to cover water-usage and as Devank ponted out, your rental income looks better to the banks for your next IP :)

You also don't get charged the rental for a second water meter = more savings to you. The rent is also higher than the usage in my experience. Granted you could get an absolute water hog but Ive never seen the usage be more than the rent in any of the properties Ive dealt with as a landlord.

Sorry but getting a second meter makes absolutely NO SENSE to me whatsoever.

Brazen.

The only problem with water meters is whenever you dont have tenants you still pay hefty water-meter rental fees.

I advise my investors to just up the rent slightly to cover water-usage and as Devank ponted out, your rental income looks better to the banks for your next IP :)
Do you suggest this "strategy" (increase rent to cover water usage) for granny flat tenant only or the main house tenant as well?

How much more do you think is reasonable/enough to cover water usage?
$10/week or $20/week or more?

Brazen.
You meant "water" meter only?
And we should always get second electricity meter for granny flat, right?

Do you suggest this "strategy" (increase rent to cover water usage) for granny flat tenant only or the main house tenant as well?
If you can calculate the main house consumption then what is stopping you from passing the rest to the granny flat tenant?!?

How much more do you think is reasonable/enough to cover water usage?
$10/week or $20/week or more?
Have a look at your previous useage componant and roughly work it out.

You meant "water" meter only?
And we should always get second electricity meter for granny flat, right?
Have you seen your own eletricity billl lately?

You also don't get charged the rental for a second water meter = more savings to you. The rent is also higher than the usage in my experience. Granted you could get an absolute water hog but Ive never seen the usage be more than the rent in any of the properties Ive dealt with as a landlord.
Brazen.

Private water meter....not Sydney Water....but to NSW standards.....$87 on Ebay.

Private water meter....not Sydney Water....but to NSW standards.....$87 on Ebay.

My plumber charges $400 for supply and install. Involves welding so better leave it to the pros. Also my agent doesn't charge me extra to read the meter. Gotta make them work for their income :)

My plumber charges $400 for supply and install. Involves welding so better leave it to the pros. Also my agent doesn't charge me extra to read the meter. Gotta make them work for their income :)

Oh James, you're just a cruel slavedriver you are! :p

Back