Granny Flat Builders

Hi All,

I know Brazen can do approvals, but can anyone recommend good GF builders in Sydney or Western Sydney from their experience.

Even if you want to PM me, that would be great.

Anyone have any experience in general with Ian Cubitts Classic Home Improvements? looks like they have been in business for long, anyone used them?

I have read many many posts on other GF experience and it has been very valuable.

thanks

somer_hut

For what it is worth....

I went down this line of enquiry late last year to make a decision regarding my GF build.
I interviewed a number of builders (including Ian Cubitt) and went to see various projects.
I checked these forums and did extensive due diligence to get as much knowledge in order to make a good decision.

None of these builders inspired my confidence to part with more than $100k - $125k (plus a myriad of other costs) for a simple 2 bed house.
It is not that complicated when you break it down into steps.

After crunching numbers and much family discussion I decided to owner build and handle any problems as they happen.

I found that Brazen offers good advice and a sound approval process which was smooth and trouble free.

To this point my build has been going smoothly and with only minor problems (unforeseen site drainage issues) and it is within 9% of project budget and 8% of time (rain delays!)
Sure, the contractors are a pain sometimes and it is a long process that uses all the spare time - but it is worth it.

Do your checks and see the finished quality before you make a decision.
It takes time but is well worth it.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.

Granny flat

Hiya
I am planning to build my 2nd gf with the same builder; 75k incl gst for brick veneer tile or colour bond roof 60 sqm 2 bedder ; this is just the build cost alone though ; includes gst tho and turn key

Great price Virgo, I will def contact you when I decide to go down that path, 75k inc gist turnkey is awesome

In my experience, the areas that gfs are financially realistic, seem t be inner city or metro areas or mining towns with very little supply and huge demand

In my experience, victoria seems pretty hard, and for new, Sydney especially the west

I had a look at hunter but no where really stood out, maybe Newcastle

Hug

Hiya
Build cost only doesn't include landscape , drawing of plans, Pte Certifier,separate water and electricity,s94 if any.

Includes kitchen,flooring but no air con,blinds
Of course u pay more if u want higher quality kitchen etc but standard allowance given and spelled out in contract.

thanks for all the replies.

my initial enquiry with Ian Cubitt was due to their location Penrith and initial free design. So it gets me a feel of roughly where the GF can go and also how would privacy work. Will still do my research.

Serge: I might as well, soon be coming to you, you never know... With a second baby coming in June, I am testing the waters now and will go in action mode later in the year.

somer_hut

Would you mind sharing how much it costed?

Total projected cost finished is $75k.
That includes a full site survey, all compulsory and workers comp insurances, reinforced roof trusses for solar HWS, new drainage to the existing house, plumbing all the storm water to the street - over 45m of trenches and concrete!
Also included is upgrade power supply from the street, new water and power meters, demolition of old asbestos garage, landscaping and rubbish removal
Plus about $1500 of tools and equipment.

There are many small things that need to be done to get it right - you will read a lot and find that there are many ways to achieve the same outcome - all at different prices.

Contractors have quoted high and low for the same work - sometimes many thousands of dollars difference - this takes time check and get the genuine tradesmen who do good work for a good rate.

Ask lots of questions.........and ask for a discount.

For a builder to do this would cost well over $130k - and you would still have the problems.
At least all the problems are of my own making.....:)

$130,000 is about $30,000-$40,000 more than what the vast majority of reputable builders will charge for a standard Granny Flat.

Regarding comparing a builders price to what an owner builder can achieve (taking competency out of the comparison) a builder will get better prices across the board by at least 10% for trades and 20% for materials.

You might be relying on the trades getting the material but for these trades to be getting large discounts they will have to be volume contractors which more times than not are not the cheapest "trade". The cheaper trades are typically those who still work themselves and thus will have smaller discounts because they are non-volume contractors.

What I am trying to say that if you get a competent\reputable builder he should be cheaper than yourself (cost wise) by atleast 10% then add their margin is 15-20% means 5%-10% more expensive than if you build yourself.

You need to then ask if the time management is worth it for 5% premium over the build cost. If thats not enough incentive then surely the maintenance and 7 year guarantee is.

The only way I see owner builders getting material cheaper is via auctions and trading post etc which most builders simply cannot do.

Also if you add your own time (which no owner builder ever does) the cost will be more than getting a builder in most circumstances.

Anyhoots the value you get for owner building (personal satisfaction) is reason enough to try it at least once.. but from a purely numbers comparison I think its a false economy.

PS: I know I am heavily biased but I am still entitled to an honest opinion.

Total projected cost finished is $75k.
That includes a full site survey, all compulsory and workers comp insurances, reinforced roof trusses for solar HWS, new drainage to the existing house, plumbing all the storm water to the street - over 45m of trenches and concrete!
Also included is upgrade power supply from the street, new water and power meters, demolition of old asbestos garage, landscaping and rubbish removal
Plus about $1500 of tools and equipment.

There are many small things that need to be done to get it right - you will read a lot and find that there are many ways to achieve the same outcome - all at different prices.

Contractors have quoted high and low for the same work - sometimes many thousands of dollars difference - this takes time check and get the genuine tradesmen who do good work for a good rate.

Ask lots of questions.........and ask for a discount.

For a builder to do this would cost well over $130k - and you would still have the problems.
At least all the problems are of my own making.....:)

Back