Granny flat development

Hi Guys,
background info in my last post (almost a year ago) here - http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73984

After procrastinating about the above project for the best part of 8 months, its finally moving into action. I've got draftsmans finalised plans, the building certifier has pretty much signed off on it, and I've had a bunch of quotes for builders. All thats remaining is getting a few engineering drawings and picking a builder and telling them to start ASAP.

I have attached the plans and an itemised quote a builder im leaning towards has given to me. I am after any further general advice/thoughts you have on either - Theres not a hell of a lot of room to move on the design as its currently meeting all of ACPLAS requirements, but i would appreciate any thoughts on the quote and things I might be able to cut corners on/do it myself or whatever to keep the price down. My current housemate is a qualified plumber, and my other good mate is an electrician - so ill probably get them to do all the plumbing/electrical work as a start.

Thanks!

Attachments

• backyard1.png
    backyard1.png
    154.7 KB · Views: 138
  • backyard2.png
    backyard2.png
    160.2 KB · Views: 113
  • backyard3.png
    backyard3.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 102
Where is the kitchen?

Yea, if a detached structure doesnt have a kitchen, it's not a granny flat under the BCA definitions. It would be a 'studio' instead.

Studios still need to meet BASIX though. Interestingly, the construction/compliance costs are very similar to a granny flat, so why not put a kitchen in her and REALLY add value to the property?

Serge

Last edited:
Ah, fair question which I forgot to address in the OP.

The developement has been submitted as an extension/addition, not as a dual occ, which means its not allowed to be self contained, and therefore cant have any kitchen on the plans. After its completion I will be able to install a kitchenette (no stove), which I will do on the verandah side of the living room.

Maybe Im better off applying for an owner/builders license and coordinating all the trades myself? Anyone had experience with this?

Maybe Im better off applying for an owner/builders license and coordinating all the trades myself? Anyone had experience with this?

GOING OWNER-BUILDER

Advantage:
1. This option can save you around $20,000 on, say, a $90,000 Builder's project.
2. Not a bad option if you know what you're doing and you live at the subject address.

Disadvantage:
1. You have no Home-Owner-Warranty Insurance (seven years)
2. You will probably take around 6 months to build versus a builder taking 2 months, so you'll lose 4 mths income- $5,000 on a $300/wk rental
3. You will spend the next 6 months chasing trades, organising materials etc so expect to spend 4+ hrs a day doing this after work perhaps?

It's a part-time job and it requires focus and a great deal of organisational skills. it's certainly educational. It can dfinitely be done if you know what you're doing or have a friend/family member who has project managed or is a builder to advise you as well.

Ive been an Owner-Builder (twice) and from my experience, up to lock-up is reletively easy but after that it gets kinda hectic and can be very frustrating, especially if you don't have experience in building. If you're unemployed i would definitely do it.

Serge.

My dad did a major renovation as an owner-builder, during my HSC (wasn't I ecstatic), did a lot of the work himself too.

Shaved off about $40k. He is however incredible with time management and cost tracking. I know way too many other people who struggle to create a project plan which leads to time and cost blow-outs.

Some of those pricess seem on the high side.

For example: You could get a semi frameless shower screen measured\installed\delivered for about $700.

Also, shop around for tiles and you could pick them up for at least 50-60% lower than that from warehouse outlets.

It doesn't sound like much but if you can do that for each item then it starts adding up.

Back