Great bands of the 80's

MY first gig ever was the Smiths in 1984 in Northampton (UK):D

Argh!! I bow down before you. I still listen to them often & I still love them! But never got the chance to see the band live. The Cure & Echo & the Bunnymen were very well received in recent times here. Much lesser 80s bands have done reformation tours; I wonder if The Smiths have been tempted.. Only a year or two ago I saw a 20 year old wearing a Morrissey T that was put out by Dangerfield (I think). I guess today's youth have also discovered the 'original emo.'

MY first gig ever was the Smiths in 1984 in Northampton (UK):D
I'm very jealous!!
although that's before they released "how soon is now?".. in my opinion the best song from the 80's :)

Only a year or two ago I saw a 20 year old wearing a Morrissey T that was put out by Dangerfield (I think). I guess today's youth have also discovered the 'original emo.'
Interesting how the younger gen still like 80's music.. I've noticed dj's these days mix in some classics that sound awesome! but can also ruin the song.. some shouldn't be touched i think.

That is because the music of the 80's had beat, rythym, soul and grunty lyrics.

Have you heard the poppy, computer mixed, whispered rubbish that is coming out now? If it wasn't for the costumes even Kylie would be unknown.

If it wasn't for the costumes even Kylie would be unknown.

I dunno if costumes make the current stars onyly

From what I remember, 80's bands were well nown for their pop novelty hairstyles and costumes ??

Flock of Seagulls or KISS anyone lol

I don'tthink that y were the expcetion anymore than today's acts are

My favourites from the 80s:

Slayer, Kreator, Bathory, Fates Warning, Discharge, Celtic Frost, Atheist, Watchtower, Autopsy, Morbid Angel, Sepultura, Possessed, Morgoth, Hellhammer, Slaughter...

My favourites from the 80s:

Slayer, Kreator, Bathory, Fates Warning, Discharge, Celtic Frost, Atheist, Watchtower, Autopsy, Morbid Angel, Sepultura, Possessed, Morgoth, Hellhammer, Slaughter...

whooa...Slaughter is a massive odd one out of all of those! :confused:

Boods

One of the best British bands of all time. Johnny Marr used to be my (guitar) hero.

My fave 80s band was REM, before they made it big and went mainstream. I saw them in the 80s, amazing, still the best gig ive been to, saw them again in 98, terrible.

My Favourite Aussie band of all time and they were mostly an 80s band is Sydney's Died Pretty. By far the best Aussie band live. I think i saw every live gig in the 90s. Early Hunnas were great live as well.

Argh!! I bow down before you. I still listen to them often & I still love them! But never got the chance to see the band live. The Cure & Echo & the Bunnymen were very well received in recent times here. Much lesser 80s bands have done reformation tours; I wonder if The Smiths have been tempted.. Only a year or two ago I saw a 20 year old wearing a Morrissey T that was put out by Dangerfield (I think). I guess today's youth have also discovered the 'original emo.'

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 48
One of the best British bands of all time. Johnny Marr used to be my (guitar) hero.

My fave 80s band was REM, before they made it big and went mainstream. I saw them in the 80s, amazing, still the best gig ive been to, saw them again in 98, terrible.

My Favourite Aussie band of all time and they were mostly an 80s band is Sydney's Died Pretty. By far the best Aussie band live. I think i saw every live gig in the 90s. Early Hunnas were great live as well.
You are a man of infinite good taste, evand. I saw REM in the 80s at Festival Hall down here, and then 10 years later at the Myer Music Bowl. Agree with your assessment.
And Died Pretty played at the Prince of Wales - I think when the Celibate Rifles, Lime Spiders et al were still around. Ahhh, when I think of my ridiculous haircuts.:D
We saw almost every H & C gig down here for many years. Sometimes 3 or 4 nights in a row. We were the groupies (without the sex!). One of the best gigs ever was filming The Way to Go Out at the Seaview Ballroom. I still have the live video tape somewhere.:eek:

hey - for those hot pants even I'd consider turning.

Kylies videos singing is often pretty good thanks to techonogy - the live performances? Nah.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

The 80's bands were the first bands to reallly use technology and synthesise their music & voices to sound better or good

Yep - and they were new, orginial and didn't sound all the same.

Granted there are some great modern bands out there ... but they are the ones pushing the boundaries and coming up with something new. There just seemed to be more variety and body to the music of the 80's

Back