Great bands of the 80's

Yep - and they were new, orginial and didn't sound all the same.

Granted there are some great modern bands out there ... but they are the ones pushing the boundaries and coming up with something new. There just seemed to be more variety and body to the music of the 80's

Yeah sure... Billy idol had so much more to say than eminine

it's nice day for a white weeing

So much more meaning back then :confused:

Aga do do do shake pineapple shake the tree

There just seemed to be more variety and body to the music of the 80's
I'd agree when referring to 99% of the music played on tv and commercial radio.. it's total rubbish.

Thank god for "Triple J".. There has been countless new genres of music since the 80's which would suggest more variety. Also genres within genres.. what might sound like "electronic rubbish" might be house, trance, drum and base or countless varieties within that..

But some of the best bands at the moment sound very 80's to me.. e.g. Aussie guys "Empire of the Sun" & "PNAU". Also "the Drums" sound like "the Beach Boys" :cool: so some good music hasn't really progressed that much

Last edited:
Not worth arguing about Jaycee ... ;)

True

Twsited Sister and Glam metal were much mmuc more meaningful than the pop bands pretending they are saying something worthwhile today.. Back then such banbs had a real messages in their music :D like when Billy Idol was singing about white weddings, it was like really deep.. not like the rubbish today

Last edited:
Apologies - but I don't mean the Glam band.

I mean the early Death / Thrash band from Canada that released "Strappado."

Cheers!

aha! makes sense now...
just looked em up on you tube...don't think they would be the sorts to be wearing makeup, teasing their hair and singing in falsetto! :D

Going out on a limb here - they sound like a three way cross between early Sepultura/Metal Church/early Megadeth... controversial... you heard it here first...:p

Boods

Emo's just an affectation: Curtis really was depressed. But original.
LOL; I'll pay that.

Someone just told me that The Human League are touring. Looking up one of the Melb suburban venues shows there's a veritable moving feast of 80s nostalgia coming our way - and not all of it good:
Pseudo Echo
ABC - supports from Kids in the Kitchen & Wa Wa Nee (Oh, why?)
Tony Hadley with Go West (His own band must have refused to tour with him again)
The Angels
Vanilla Ice
Mi Sex (Should be on the same bill with VI so they could both just play their 1 hit & we can all go home)

Wow, I'm suprised about the strong mention of some great death/black metal bands here on SS. I thought I was the only one!

I really love early Judas Priest and Deep Purple, Mercyful Fate etc. And early Ozzy and Black Sabbath will always be a strong fave for me, although theres only so many years you can listen to it without tiring somewhat and seeking something different.

Going out on a limb here - they sound like a three way cross between early Sepultura/Metal Church/early Megadeth... controversial... you heard it here first...:p

Boods
I hear a lot of early Celtic Frost / Hellhammer, crossover punk and earlier hardcore. With a touch of Slayer.

The bands that you mentioned took influences from these sources at different times, so the comparison is valid in that sense.

The Jam
The Specials
The Beat
The Clash
The Cure
The Sunnyboys
The Church

Also some bands without the definite article:

Talking Heads
Big Audio Dynamite
REM
Public Enemy

Last edited:
By far for me - Midnight Oil.
Although I do ponder at times (right now) what Peter Garrett would stand for if he went for PM.
His policies would probably remain way too radical.... Forgotten Years comes to mind :)

Back