Great bands of the 90's

the 23rd of September marks 20yrs since the release of Nevermind by Nirvana.. LIVE AT THE PARAMOUNT THEATRE will be shown at the cinemas one night only.. I'm thinking the quality will be amazing with the cinema audio.

For me doesn't get much better than grunge music - Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone temple pilots.. along with Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, Jane's Addiction..

What are you favourites from the 90's?

Beastie Boys (their best stuff is in the 90's imo although they started in then 80's and continue to today), Public Enemy, Fun Lovin Criminals, Rage Against the Machine, Sonic Youth, NWA

All great bands... a couple more to round out the best of them:

Offspring
Alice in Chains

Metallica, RHCP & GnR all did some great stuff in the 90's as well. ;)

I saw Nirvana play when the backed up for Violent Femmes at Fisherman's Wharf when I was on Schoolies. I found them quite boring but I didn't really know there music. It would be interesting to see if I still have that view if I saw a recording of their concert now. I really enjoyed Beastie Boys in concert. INXS would have been the best concert, with Michael IMO!!

All great bands... a couple more to round out the best of them:

Offspring
Alice in Chains

Metallica, RHCP & GnR all did some great stuff in the 90's as well. ;)
The Offspring were fantastic. Smash still remains one of my favourite albums ever. Green Day were also excellent back in the Dookie - Nimrod era. They were a different band to what they are now.

Red Hot Chili Peppers were good (Although awful when I saw them live a couple years ago.) The Cranberries were pretty good. Blink 182 were good with Dude Ranch, and then of course there is the Smashing Pumpkins, who through Billy Corgan always sounded like they were channeling Nirvana. Pity Billy has to be such a douche these days. Both Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie were very good albums.

EDIT: I should say I have always loved fast pop/rock/punk whatever it is most of these bands fall into, which is why they are all from the same sort of genre. There were many great bands around in the 90's, I was just obsessed with the music from the ones listed above.

The Pixies. Kurt always said he owed a lot of Nirvana's sound to them. Saw their Doolittle reprisal concert last year. Great stuff.

Might just throw out a bunch of Aussie bands, otherwise my list would be a mile long. Technically, a few of these aren't '90's bands' as they were around in the 80's and some still even today. The Bad Seeds, Bestial Warlust, Cosmic Psychos, Fallout, Dirty Three, You Am I, Budd, Asteroid B-612, Destroyer 666, Toe To Toe, Damaged.

Back