Grid-tie solar system on my PPOR - what about when it becomes an IP?

Here's a curly question for you all.....

I'm looking at installing a 2.1kW grid tied solar system on my PPOR.
This system is going to generate around $1700/year worth of solar credits, which will pay off my system in around 2 years (im buying the gear cheap through work).

This is all fine and dandy.... but we will eventually be moving out in 4-5 years and turning our current PPOR into an IP.

.... so what would I be able to do about that solar feed-in credit once I move out of my home and rent the property out? I called Energy Australia, and they advised that the account holder for the property would receive the solar feed-in credits - which would be the tennant if the property is rented.

That sucks!! I dont want to give away my $1700/year worth of solar credits!!
Apparently there is no mechanism to send the bill to the tennant and the credit for the solar feed-in power to the landlord.

So.... Would i be able to remain as the "account holder" for the property, and then charge the tennant "power usage"? (kinda like how water bills are done in NSW).
Normally with the power bill for a house with a solar system has two parts:
- the bill for the power you have consumed
- and a credit for the solar power you fed back into the grid

... so could i just charge the tennant for the power consumed, and keep the credit??

Is it possible to stipulate something like this in the tennancy agreement?

You keep the account in your name, collect the excess $ and up the rent a little more. The tenant is afterall getting a residence whereby they will not have to pay any electricity bills. :)

there is an article in this months API mag about this. Im not sure the solution of just upping the rent would be the right move.. what if the tenant uses copious amounts of power? I think it would be better to writ into the lease the you will provide xx amount kwh and any excess is to be paid by the tenant.

i might check out API mag then, and see what they suggest.

I am also thinking that i might just remove the system and install it again on my next PPOR.... then i can just get the feed-in credits on the new home instead.
Yes it will cost me to get it re-installed.... but thats probably worth it in the long run versus the headaches of chasing tennants for power consumption, etc.

Witzl...let the tenant be the power customer, but how about letting the tenant know that they will receive credits as you have pointed out here and charge that extra in rent, explaining that they will receive it back in their power bills(credits).
Also, explain that they could make more by consuming less....it's their account after all...!:)

They get back the extra they pay in rent and you get the benefit as the owner.
Win Win....!

Isn't that what all this is about anyway....to get the population to save power not abuse it...?
Then you go on and install in your new PPOR and on it goes....:)

Back