Group Title Plan vs Building Unit Plan?

Could someone please tell me what is the difference in plain English between the two titles in relation to a Townhouse? I can't find anything online that doesn't talk in riddles to me. I'm confused. Building Management staff told me BUP is better but I cant work out why.

What I think you have been exposed to, is the old style of subdivision, at least here in Queedsland. They used to be broken down to
a. Stand alone block. RP, which stood for Registered Plan
b. Villa or Townhouse. Again, which stood on its own land, however enjoyed the use of some "common property". GTP, which stood for Group Title Plan.
c. Unit. In a block, and generally they were off the ground, with a garage or another unit below, ie the "air was subdivided". BUP, which stood for Building Units Plan.

A few years ago, they went to a standard SP, for all types of subdivision, which I believe stands for "Survey Plan".

Not sure whay any one would try to say one form of title is better that another, as they are in my opinion, much os a muchness. In b and c, you are part of a Body Corporate, whic you will not be in a.

Hope that helps

As far as I can determine, there is a difference;

Group Title basically this means that all your walls are yours.

Building Title means that the adjoining walls are yours and your neighbours.

Therefore permission to do anything to an ajoining wall has to be sort, if one party disagrees then the change cannot occur. This is above and beyond body corporate bylaws.

(correct me if i'm wrong)
A

ozsupra, in some GTP situations, a wall can be a common or party wall. When you say you can or cannot do some thing with a wall, it depends on what you mean. If you want to paint it, and or put up a painting, that is one thing, however if what you are thinking of doing, may have any structural impact, then yes, you must get Body Corporate approval, for any wall.

In QLD their are 2 main types of BC.

Standard Format:
This is designed for townhouses, villas, lowsets which can be defined by pegs at the corners of the property and everything within the pegs is your reasponsibility.

Building Format:
This is for multilevel building where owners live vertically above one another, appartment blocks, Six packs, tower blocks, etc and Foundations, building structure and roofs are BC reasponsibility in this situation.

Problem is in QLD developers, councils have been approveing what should have been Standard Format BC as Building Formats which introduces no end of complications as to who is reasponsible for what.

Back