Gunnedah NSW - Next Boom Town?

I'm considering investing in Gunnedah in Northern NSW. I'm doing some work down there in one of the coal mines that's doing a major upgrade, and I've had a bit of a look around & done some investigation.

There seems to be quite a lot going on down there.

Whitehaven just committed to spend $600m in the Gunnedah basin over the next five years. Idemitsu are spending around $400m, Aston a similar figure. Caroona (BHP) and the Watermark project (Shenhua) are also in their early stages. Lots of smaller mines are operating and expanding in the area.

Santos are in the area doing Coal Seam Gas exploration/proving resources, and Eastern Star Gas (being bought out by Santos) are also in nearby Narrabri using gas to generate power and have big plans to expand their gas exploration & pipe it to QLD and/or Newcastle.

I've read the "More Gas than Gorgon" & "More Coal than the Hunter Valley" lines & they make me take notice.

Median prices for a house are around $244 for a house and $237 for a unit. Cheapies for under $200k are around, but seem to be in the low lying areas of town.

The place has a similar vibe to Chinchilla in the Surat Basin, QLD... I should have bought there (I was working there on a coal project a couple of years ago) before coal and gas really took off out there. Oh well! I must say, I like Gunnedah better than Chinchilla, it's bigger, nicer, has a good family & sports find of feel about it, plus great pub grub.

I wonder, if we bought investment properties based on great pub grub (the steaks are awesome, and cheap!), where would we end up?

Anybody got any thoughts on the Gunnedah basin? There are some older posts on the area... the area had good gains pre GFC, and has started to fire post GFC (last quarter, house prices rose by 17% according to RP Data). Yields are around 6%, so not fantastic, but reasonably solid, especially if the place takes off like the locals are expecting it to. Rents are on the rise, I hear.

ARTC have committed to upgrade the rail line to the area to carry more coal, with both Aston Resources and Whitehaven having committed to coal rail contracts.

The GP superclinic in town is under construction as an extention to the hospital.

Happy to hear your thoughts...

After much deliberation, we signed a contract on a property in Gunnedah.

We did a lot of head scratching on potential locations. Gladstone was my other main thought, but we ended up going with Gunnedah due to its relatively "undiscovered" status in the media and minds of investors.

The house is on over 2000m2, in a sought after 2B (med density) area, so has development potential. The house itself is relatively neat and rentable, close to the hospital, golf club, schools and medical centre that is under construction.

Maybe in a few years we'll develop out the back... or the whole block, if things go well.

Since we've been looking at the town, things have been progressing well in terms of the developments for the area. Just this week Aston Resources and Whitehaven announced increased port capacities out of Newcastle... another hurdle on the way for the expansion of activities in the area.

Time will tell.

By the way, if you're ever in Gunnedah, the Courthouse hotel on the main street does great steaks... and cheap. Next time I'm in town I'll check out how the renovation of the golf club is going.

Hi guys

I thought Gunnnedah/Tamworth, etc has been on the radar for a while now?

That 17% increase in the last quarter (if correct) would concern me that the opportunity may have passed.

Cheers

Jamie

Back