Had my first game of golf yesterday

Inspired by that thread recently started by Luce Rocks.
And given impetus by a phone call in the morning from a bloke down the road asking me whether I wanted to have a hit at the local course.
It was a great way to spend a couple of hours on a Sunday arvo. I can't believe it's taken me so long to have a go at golf given the course is walking distance from home.
We played nine holes.
I got 8, 7, 5, 7, 4, 9, 5, 6 and 6.
The 9 was because I hit the first shot into the river and apparently that cost me three shots.
Who on earth would put a river beside a golf course?
The most useful thing I learnt as a complete beginner? Don't try to smash the ball. Every time I tried to give it a really good whack, it ended badly.
It cost me $15 including the hire clubs. I'll do it again for sure.
Scott

Good for you, Scott. Welcome to this great game.

It's amazing how many folk I have come across in golf who say; "Gee, I wish I had taken this up as a kid!".

By the way; to hit a ball into the river is a one stroke penalty.

eg;
1. you hit your tee shot into the river. (1st stroke)
2. you drop another ball within 2 clublengths of the spot where the ball entered the river (assuming it is marked as a hazard) (2nd stroke for the drop).
3. you play your next stroke (3rd stroke).

The only difference to this is if the river is deemed "out of bounds". In this scenario, you have to go back to the place where you played your last shot (the tee shot in this example) and repeat step 2.

Your penalty is then a "stroke and distance" penalty - ouch!

Your 3rd stroke is then played from that spot.

(There is a third penalty drop option, but it's a bit complicated to explain it here. It is better understood if you are shown.)

The good thing about golf is you can play it at any age, on your own or with others, and you can play with folks of any standard.

Last Saturday I rang one of the many fine local public golf courses near me at the last minute, looking for a casual game.

They teamed me up with 3 blokes I didn't know. One was the Dad, about 70 years old, the other two were the son and son in law, about 40 years old. All about "90" shooters standard.

They had no idea I was a pro, and I did not tell them. I try very hard to keep my past in these scenarios a secret. Just play, enjoy the day and make their day a pleasant one if I can.

We had a terrific day and a few beers afterwards.

That's the magic of golf.

Last time I played was early high school for sport one term. Had a great time. Especially watching a friend develop an orange-sized lump on his head after successfully intercepting an incoming drive.

Was that $15 a regular price down there Scott? Interest piqued.

Is as playing with a bloke who is always down there. One of those members that everybody likes and says hello to. Bizarrely, they also let him bring his dog along and it has a great time. I suspect I might have got a discounted price.

I also suspect I might be a natural.

I also suspect I might be a natural.

LOL so was "Happy Gilmore" :p
happy-gilmore.jpg

Those water ways used to keep the candy flowing for us when we were young snappers. We'd put our snorkels on and start retrieving. We couldn't believe the money adults for pay us for these silly balls.

I'm no good at the game for many reasons but I'm also a high risk player. If there is a shot which needs to go between trees and then curl around another tree, I'll take it.

I have unrealistic expectations of my golfing capabilities.

Those water ways used to keep the candy flowing for us when we were young snappers. We'd put our snorkels on and start retrieving. We couldn't believe the money adults for pay us for these silly balls.

I'm no good at the game for many reasons but I'm also a high risk player. If there is a shot which needs to go between trees and then curl around another tree, I'll take it.

I have unrealistic expectations of my golfing capabilities.

Sounds like bay view signature

I was caddie for a mate playing in the Semi Finals for Club Championships...

He really should of won, his handicap is +4 (as in has to shoot 4 under par to play to his handicap). Was up against someone playing off 2 or 3...

But the grandfinal BBQ at my place the day before hurt my mate, haha he wasn't in good form.

Playing matchplay (head to head) he lost 2 & 1 (two down with only one hole to play).

I'm only able to play golf 6months of the year due to hockey, was planning on going out for quick 9 holes after work tonight... but dont think the weather is going to hold up!

Interesting piece of trivia - Julie Bowen of "Modern Family" (Claire Dunfy) fame was the hot reporter that Adam Sandler was involved with in the movie.

And the great Lee Trevino (a 6 time major winner) made a cameo appearance as himself.

happy-gilmore-4.jpg

A man who also has the unfortunate distinction of also being struck by lightning -

After he was struck by lightning at the 1975 Western Open, Trevino was asked by a reporter what he would do if he were out on the course and it began to storm again. Trevino answered he would take out his 1 iron and point it to the sky, "because not even God can hit the 1-iron." Trevino said later in an interview with David Feherty that he must have tempted God the week before by staying outside during a lighting delay to entertain the crowds, saying "I deserved to get hit...God can hit a 1-iron".

Source: Wikipedia.

A reporter once asked Lee Trevino what his plan was for the coming round of that day.

Lee said; "Well, first I'm gunna try 'Swing A'. If that don't work I'm gunna try 'Swing B. And if that don't work, I'm going back to the Clubhouse, because with "Swing C', I ain't breakin' 80!" :D

I watched him do a clinic at Metropolitan Golf Club during an Australian Open one time.

He was playing high, soft landing bunker shots with a 4 iron. Amazing.

Back