Has anyone ever lived with roommates?

I once lived in my mate's house with him, and another girl who also paid for a room. She was a horder as it turned out - sorta like a "doomsday prepper" - her room was absolutely packed to the ceiling with cans of food etc..she was a bit loony.

She moved out (took her a few days to move one room), and another girl moved in. More normal, but a bit of a wild child.

We all got along and had a good time for the most part - it gets hard when some are house proud and some aren't.

Two highlights of that experience;

1. The girl was in her bedroom one night with her boyfriend, and both my mate and I were out at separate events.

I came home earlier than him, and had to go out the back to get some items of clothing off the line for work the next day. It was dark.

The path to the clothes line goes straight past the girl's bedroom window, and she had left the blinds open and there was a soft light on inside.....

I had an R-rated view for about 10 mins (or was it 15? :eek:) - in the dark and unseen; had to drag myself away, of course. :D

2. A large bulge developed in the plaster above the bathroom handbasin one time - about the size of a babie's bath. It was huge.

We thought it was water leak related. My mate called in a plumber, who poked a hole in the plaster with a thin saw, and about 50 million termites fell out onto him, onto me and all over the bathroom...the house was being eaten away. :eek:

I enjoyed living with flatmates in my early twenties, especially overseas in Canada and USA.

However using my accent to my advantage I would always end up sleeping with the Female roomates, so yeah just became to awkward when everyone in the house is playing musical beds :eek:

Did live with a Bi-Sexual women in Brisbane for over a year, that was actually quite enjoyable, especially when she brought Female Companions home with her. ;)

But on a serious note since those days, only ever lived by myself, couldn't share a house anymore, like my own space too much, watching what I want on TV and enjoy not having to lock my room so nothing gets stolen.

Thanks for all the posts...some great stories here!

I'm a bit of a private person, so if I ever did get a roommate they'd have to be an introvert too. Hopefully there'll be some of that sort around!

I think it is good for people to do a shared house for a while....with non related people is even better.
You learn a lot about what you really like......and do not like!

Was in a shared house in Cairns during the early 80's....true party house with a variety of people sleeping in different places every night....great experience that I do not want my daughters to repeat....:D!

Another friend has had his mortgage serviced by roomies....was shift worker, now retired.
The appeal of roomies has disappeared because he is home when they are....
!
For someone starting out on building equity it is a great idea to monetize the asset by sub-letting a room.

More motivation to be able to get your own place back later.....:)!!!

Back