Has anyone tried to buy gold lately?

Just pondering this one

How do they establish initial price of a piece of gold you find fossicking and then sell, to work out your CGT

There is no base price is there?

I think the worst case would apply. Base price equals zero.

It must have been ten years ago I bought a few silver coins from an old chap [my age], a numismatist who had collected all his life, very knowledgeable, and did it deliberately to leverage this knowledge of coins into a super fund. He set up a shopfront to cash out upon retirement and he was spewin! GST took 10% of his retirement fund, straight off the top!

I think the worst case would apply. Base price equals zero.!

Ouch!

It must have been ten years ago I bought a few silver coins from an old chap [my age], a numismatist who had collected all his life, very knowledgeable, and did it deliberately to leverage this knowledge of coins into a super fund. He set up a shopfront to cash out upon retirement and he was spewin! GST took 10% of his retirement fund, straight off the top!

Taxman always has his hand out

In the US they don't have the ATO, they have The IRS

If you shorten the gap in the last two words it becomes, Theirs ;)

Gold is the antithesis of property so you will always get strongly held and worded opinions from property bulls.

...and i'm continually proving this thesis wrong.

productive land is a commodity.

gold is a commodity.

real estate in general will piggy back productive land as a commodity. it's cyclical and not instant, but the evidence is there.

this is why we saw both gold and land prices, especially in this resource rich country, surge together.

if not, off the back of money printing we would have seen a gold bubble OR a property bubble OR a stock market bubble.

but no, we saw all three.

i don't make the theory - i just report on what i see.

Gold and Silver react to QE3 :)

Attachments

• QE3 Gold.gif
    QE3 Gold.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 41
  • QE3 Silver.gif
    QE3 Silver.gif
    16 KB · Views: 44
Gold and Silver react to QE3 :)

Something bigger happened last week & hardly anyone has noticed..... I mean something HUGE!

Lindsey Williams: "The most significant day in the history of the American dollar, since its inception, happened on Thursday, Sept. 6. On that day, something took place that is going to affect your life, your family, your dinner table more than you can possibly imagine."

"On Thursday, Sept. 6... just a few days ago, China made the official announcement. China said on that day, our banking system is ready, all of our communication systems are ready, all of the transfer systems are ready, and as of that day, Thursday, Sept. 6, any nation in the world that wishes from this point on, to buy, sell, or trade crude oil, can do using the Chinese currency, not the American dollar.

Then someone else jumped aboard.... Russia.

"On Friday, Sept. 7, Russia announced, that as of today, we will supply China with all of the crude oil that they need, no matter how much they want... there is no limit. And Russia will not sell or trade this crude oil to China using the American dollar."

This is far more significant than QE anything.... even to Gold/Silver. ;)

I missed that and agree on it's importance. Didn't get a lot of airplay did it?

Listened to Rob Arnott

http://www.kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/Broadcast/Entries/2012/9/13_Rob_Arnott.html

yesterday and he was saying with a high degree of confidence that Bernanke would announce QE3 last night. I don't sleep well at night so I was up in the wee hours watching the ticker of SLV [an ETF] have a big drop. Remembering Arnott I bought some when it looked to have bottomed and watched it rise nearly $2 in the next hour or so. I sold with a little over $1 gain and went back to bed. Should have held, but that's hindsight. :)

I'm a self-confessed gold-bug but I don't think it is a good idea NOT to have Au/Ag exposure in your portfolio. That has been true for 10 years but it is even more so today.

Gold good, silver better!

Indifference, got a link to anything more substantial than the crackpot (Lindsey Williams) who wrote the above?

China and Russia have been increasing their bilateral trade for a couple of years now. What is so significant about September 6th?

Gold good, silver better!
Especially at current prices! Silver still trading $15 under a 30 year old high... cheap :)

Hi Sunfish

There's a 90 second grab here from Ben Bernanke, just go to Read More and click the 90 sec video

Federal Reserve launches QE3

120913074419-n-bernanke-fed-qe3-90-secs-00002608-video-11.jpg

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The Federal Reserve announced plans to unleash more stimulus Thursday, in its third attempt at a controversial program to rev up the U.S. economy.

The policy, known as quantitative easing and often abbreviated as QE3, entails buying $40 billion in mortgage-backed securities each month. The end date remains up in the air, as the Fed will re-evaluate the strength of the economy in coming months.

The Fed is wasting no time. The purchases begin Friday and are expected to add up to only $23 billion for the remainder of September.
The bond-buying policy "should put downward pressure on longer-term interest rates, support mortgage markets, and help to make broader financial conditions more accommodative," the Fed's official statement said.
Meanwhile, the Fed will continue its existing policy known as Operation Twist. Together the two programs will add $85 billion in long-term bonds to the Fed's balance sheet each month.

Read More

Indifference, got a link to anything more substantial than the crackpot (Lindsey Williams) who wrote the above?

China and Russia have been increasing their bilateral trade for a couple of years now. What is so significant about September 6th?

Especially at current prices! Silver still trading $15 under a 30 year old high... cheap :)
USA is kaput.
People are hunkering down, battening down the hatches. The storm is coming.
Peter Schiff reporting the straight truth about America...everyone is in a state of shock at how dumbass the Fed Reserve is...
operation-screw-the-fed-goes-all-in-on-qe

dollar-no-longer-primary-oil-currency-as-china-begins-to-sell-oil-using-yuan
This announcement by China is one of the most significant sea changes in the global economic and monetary systems, but was barely reported on due to its announcement taking place during the Democratic convention last week. The ramifications of this new action are vast, and could very well be the catalyst that brings down the dollar as the global reserve currency, and change the entire landscape of how the world purchases energy.

These duo actions by the two most powerful adversaries of the U.S. economy and empire, have now joined in to make a move to attack the primary economic stronghold that keeps America as the most powerful economic superpower. Once the majority of the world begins to bypass the dollar, and purchase oil in other currencies, then the full weight of our debt and diminished manufacturing structure will come crashing down on the American people.

This new agreement between Russia and China also has serious ramifications in regards to Iran, and the rest of the Middle East. No longer will U.S. sanctions against Iran have a measurable affect, as the rogue nation can simply choose to sell its oil to China, and receive Yuan in return, and use that currency to trade for the necessary resources it needs to sustain its economy and nuclear programs.

The world changed last week, and there was nary a word spoken by Wall Street or by politicians who reveled in their own magnificence as this event took place during the party conventions. A major blow was done on Sept. 6 to the American empire, and to the power of the U.S. dollar as the world's reserve currency. And China, along with Russia, are now aiming to become the controllers of energy, and thus, controllers of a new petro-currency.

china-and-russia-are-ruthlessly-cutting-the-legs-out-from-under-the-u-s-dollar
China and Russia have been spearheading a movement to shift away from using the U.S. dollar in international trade. At the moment, the shift is happening gradually, but at some point a tipping point will come (for example if Saudi Arabia were to declare that it will no longer take U.S. dollars for oil) and the entire global financial system is going to change. When that tipping point comes the global demand for U.S. dollars is going to absolutely plummet and nightmarish inflation will come to the United States. If such a scenario sounds far out to you, then you have not been paying attention. In fact, China and Russia have been working very hard to move us toward exactly such a scenario.

China and Russia are not the "buddies" of the United States. The truth is that they are both ruthless competitors of the United States and leaders from both nations have been calling for a new global currency for years. They don't like that the United States has a built-in advantage of having the reserve currency of the world, and over the past several years both countries have been busy making international agreements that seek to chip away at that advantage.

Just the other day, China and Germany agreed to start conducting an increasing amount of trade with each other in their own currencies. You would think that a major currency agreement between the 2nd and 4th largest economies on the face of the planet would make headlines all over the United States. Instead, the silence in the U.S. media was deafening.

Last edited:
*SNIP*

Just the other day, China and Germany agreed to start conducting an increasing amount of trade with each other in their own currencies. You would think that a major currency agreement between the 2nd and 4th largest economies on the face of the planet would make headlines all over the United States. Instead, the silence in the U.S. media was deafening.
Why has this not been major news in Aus this week as well?

Originally Posted by shuggy
*SNIP*

Think about it: The Yuan is not freely tradable [I can't buy any] and Germany doesn't have it's own currency. If Germany splits from the euro back to the mark, revaluation would make German products unaffordable so there wouldn't be much trade anyway.

I wrote an extensive post yesterday on where I think metals are headed for anyone interested:

http://www.bullionbaron.com/2012/09/saddle-up-for-bubble-phase-in-gold.html

Of course there are many ways it could play out, but with the Fed having launched what most will equate to "unlimited" QE it's hard to see the precious metals bull market playing out in any other way....

Even CNNMoney has a piece today: Opinion: Gold is not just a lunatic fringe investment

There is no reason to say gold is in a bubble. It's still bloody hard to find and recover.

Reports of the US demise are overstated.

But while you are in the USA bashing mood, you may enjoy this:

http://email.angelnexus.com/hostede...9e3959b1692248869b375b336a160fc5&ei=sggEvrkNq

What I thought was remarkable about this was that it appears to be written by a main-stream conservative.
Yep; pretty sad if it's all true.

And I can say that from my observations whilst living there; he's not far off the mark, IMHO.

I got the impression - and I didn't even try to do and detective-work to uncover the truths - just observation - that there was a healthy boys' club goingin' on amongst the super-corps and the Pollies, and the rest could eat cake.

Last edited:
Reports of the US demise are overstated.

But while you are in the USA bashing mood, you may enjoy this:

http://email.angelnexus.com/hostede...9e3959b1692248869b375b336a160fc5&ei=sggEvrkNq

What I thought was remarkable about this was that it appears to be written by a main-stream conservative.

Thanks Sunfish, good post but another sad story from the police state, USSA.

America also sucks because according to the opening trailer for Newsroom they lead the world in only 3 categories:

1) Number of incarcerated citizens per capita;
2) Number of adults who believe angels are real;
3) Defense spending

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16K6m3Ua2nw

Hi Guys,

I am totally new to the topic of gold and metals investing in general.
Looking at the growth of gold prices over the past 30 years (see the chart attached), I am wondering what has prompted the extraordinary growth started in 2002? What are the factors driving this?
According to the chart, the price of gold has remained pretty steady over the 20 years period between 1980 and 2000, and in 10 years, the prices has been multiplied by about 6!
I'd love to hear the story behind this and the reasons underpinning this growth.

What is the general view of the people trading in this area? Are the prices considered to be over inflated?

Keen to learn more about the topic.

Ta

Attachments

• chart.png
    chart.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 36
Hi Guys,

I am totally new to the topic of gold and metals investing in general.
Looking at the growth of gold prices over the past 30 years (see the chart attached), I am wondering what has prompted the extraordinary growth started in 2002? What are the factors driving this?
According to the chart, the price of gold has remained pretty steady over the 20 years period between 1980 and 2000, and in 10 years, the prices has been multiplied by about 6!
I'd love to hear the story behind this and the reasons underpinning this growth.

What is the general view of the people trading in this area? Are the prices considered to be over inflated?

Keen to learn more about the topic.

Ta
Far too big a story to be told here. It isn't a commodity story, it is a macro-economic one. The very short answer is that while governments around the world adopt a beggar thy neighbour attitude in a rush to debase their currencies to gain trade advantages, there is only limited things they can do to debase gold, and they have tried them all, including artificially boosting supply with tungsten.

King World News is a start, Kitco & 321Gold are others. Search on "gold bug sites" I guess. If you want conspiracies goto Bill Murphy and the Gold Anti-trust site.

Back