Has the rental market cooled?

Just found out this morning that long term tenants are moving soon. I had the letter regarding rent increase ready to post this morning, and phoned them as a courtesy to say we needed to increase the rent. They said they are in the process of buying.

Instead of increasing from $365 to $430 we will now be asking $460 from next lot of tenants.

This is one of the biggest problems with long term tenants, at least for many of us, self-managers and some agents I believe. The longer they stay, the harder it is to keep rents up to market levels. Each time we have increased the rent, they have stayed, but with this rise we were about to ask for, I would not have been surprised if they moved on, so we were prepared to have it empty for perhaps a week while we spruced it up, but now at least we will be getting market rates again.

This tenancy actually started below market simply because the house had been empty for several weeks while we had a new kitchen and driveway installed, so to lease it quickly, we knocked $20 per week off ($320 down to $300 in 2003). We have been playing catch up ever since, increasing slightly each new lease, but over the past year or so, with rents rocketing up, even with increases, we were still sitting too far below market.

I was hesitant to increase it to $430 but fingers crossed, we will now get $460 and the flow of extra funds will be very nice indeed.

Funny thing is, I had spent quite a bit of time getting the wording just right. Now the letter is in the bin :D

Wylie

I've got a friend who has just bought his first investment property in Rothwell which is about 25km north-east of Brisbane CBD. Even though he thought that there was an abundance of rental properties in his area, he was able to rent his out within a few days of listing. The rental market is not cool at the moment!!!

By the way, my agent, which is one the biggest property managers in Brisbane, has hardly had a property to rent for the last six months.

I have not been able to rent mine out, it's in the West side. Maybe because it's near Christmas, also I maybe asking too much $490p/w for a $530k property. But then that's what the agent suggested...

I will probably lower the rent.

I have not been able to rent mine out, it's in the West side. Maybe because it's near Christmas, also I maybe asking too much $490p/w for a $530k property. But then that's what the agent suggested...

I will probably lower the rent.

I think when you get up to this amount of rent per week the rental pool gets pretty small.

Someone will turn up soone enough though, but as you say; not many people looking to move right on xmas. Maybe the second week of Jan.

Back