Heat from Paving

I'd love opinions on whether it would be foolish to use dark-coloured pavers on a driveway and paths around a house (IP). I'm talking specifically about Midland Handipave charcoal or Villapave carbon which are dark grey (as opposed to black)

It gets pretty hot in Perth in summer, and I don't wish to add to it - particularly if I'm trying to find a tenant in the middle of a heatwave (yes, the house will be airconditioned!).

From an aesthetic point-of-view, the charcoal pavers will look better than any of the sandstone/cream product with my cream brick - and will hide potential oil-drips too.

Thanks, guys :)

Cheers

Not sure about pavers, but we rented a house in risbane with charcoal coloured roof tiles and garage door.

I think that was a mistake - I restored a car in the garage and it was so hot with the uninsulated ceiling and garage door - I suspect the house was also hotter than it needed to be.

Cheers,

Hi Otter

Outside colour and surface will depend largely on how close to the house it is.

If you are talking about the driveway from the street, do whatever you think will present the house best.

For outside living areas it is a compromise between light pavers, which can throw unbearable glare on a bright day, to dark surfaces which, yes, can act as a heat bank long into the evening. Good in winter, though!

Bricks seem to neither glare nor retain heat for undue periods, and can add a really earthy presentation to a house. Depends on the style and design whether this would be appropriate.

Concrete colours ie cement grey, usually provide a compromise, and don't intrude one way or the other. Bit boring, though.

Or basic concrete with a brick over-pattern. Some of the houses where I live have the stencilled driveways and they certainly do look good.

Personally, I would aim to minimise glare, which I find more uncomfortable that radiant heat.

Cheers

Kristine

Thanks for your input, Kristine and Simon.

I've come to a compromise with a "cool grey" Midland paver which will go well with the front elevation colour.

This is my final decision, though maybe I'll just take another tour round a new subdivision and change my mind again, again. Or maybe not :rolleyes: .

Cheers

Back