HECS debt and rental property

I will be able to afford a rental property in the near future.

However, my partner and I have a HECS debt. I was wondering how my extra repayments due to rental income will be calculated.

If it is absurd, then I might as well just pay of the debt and forget about investing at the moment.

Would there be a good way to do this?

If you determine that you have sufficient funds/income to purchase an IP, then I would not advise the lender unless they specifically request info about your HECS debt.

If your IP is positively geared then your taxable income will increase and this will increase your yearly HECS repayments and accelerate the repayment of your HECS debt.

If your IP is negatively geared, you will receive a positive tax return as you will have paid greater weekly/fortnightly/monthly tax than your applicable HECS repayment threshold.

When considering the rate you wish to pay off the HECS debt, you may need to consider the discount benefits of making early repayments.

This is my opinion, and not the ATO's. We sometimes have different opinions.

I was under the impression that all rental income goes under the umbrella of 'fringe benefits' and therefore a percentage of HECS must be paid off the grossed up value of the rent. I believe this is a new thing? I think this was to prevent high income earners never paying off their debt because their taxable income was quite small with negative gearing.

If this is how it is, then I pay a huge HECS bill on top of the fringe benefits I already get. The negative gearing won't bring my taxable income back down to a positive return, unless I rent for peanuts.

My current lender was told that I have a HECS debt, but they didn't hold it against me at all.

Riskybusiness

You are displaying a somewhat less than honest mindset and if an applicant does not declare something like a HELP debt - which will show up on their pay slips anyway - they risk being seen as withholding information from a lender tantamount to deception.

MissAlison, I read your question as whether your rent income will be deemed to be income and added to your annual income from which HELP is deducted. Is that right?

What happens is this:

You will receive rent income from the property. This income is not taxed at source.

So your gross income for the year is Wages plus Rent

If you are currently earning, say, $50,000 per annum and receive rent of $15,000 your gross annual income will then be $65,000

You then add up all the expenses involved in earning that income:

eg personal items (sunglasses) $250
Interest on Loans $17,500
Letting and Management Fees $3,000
Rates and Insurance $1,500
Repairs and Maintenance $750

Total deductions for the year: $23,000

So your taxable income is now $42,000

You have already paid tax and HELP from your 'day job' PAYG income of $50,000, being ordinary single person tax of $9,000, plus HELP @ 4% = $2,000

But

A taxable income of $42,000 would have ordinary tax of $6,600 although your HELP would still be calculated on the $50,000 (thanks to u3228133 below for posting the link on this to the ATO)

In theory, you would then be entitled to a tax adjustment refund of $4,400.

When calculating return on the investment, don't forget to include the $4,400 as 'income' from the investment, as without the investment you would not have received the tax refund.

Obviously, all the usual disclaimers apply regarding this post, but to the best of my knowledge this may be the answer to your question.

As you are considering investing in income producing assets (property) you may care to spend a bit of time on the ATO website. There are all sorts of downloads available for property investors. 'Negative gearing' is a wonderful tool and the sooner you invest in property, and the longer you hold the property, the greater your benefit will be.

Hope this helps

Kristine

By the way, MissAlison: The only reason you have a 'huge HECS bill' is because you have received a tertiary education and have been allowed time to pay for that education. Many people do not have that option - a lot of education is paid for 'up front' so although those people do not have a HECS / HELP bill, huge or otherwise, they have had to pay cash for their education. If that cash has been borrowed then the repayments would be significantly more than the contribution required by the Australian Government in repaying the fees for the education.

HECS / HELP is a wonderful innovation in achieving more Australians to gain tertiary qualifications. We value our 'brainy' people and you are a National Asset. However, do not let yourself be blinkered 'Oh! I have to pay HELP so I'm not going to invest'!

Be aware and glad of the opportunity you have had through your brains and your education and make the most of the higher income you are now going to be earning because of that education. Go forth and become wealthy, be successful and be a shining, glad and grateful example to others so that this wonderful, Lucky Country of ours can have more brainy people earning more money. The more wealthy individuals there are in a population the better and stronger the whole country is. Good on you for your study, and good on your for investing. Go for it!

Last edited:
I think you are all missing somethign here. Any negative rental income is added back to your taxable income when calculating your HECS repayment income. So the example given above is wrong, you would still be liable for HECS on the $50k.

Getting this wrong will cause a nasty suprise at lodgment time.

ATO: http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/00154060.htm&page=10&H10

Hence my worry. I can't quite get around the wording. It reads that my net rental loss will be added to my taxable income, and my 7.5% HECS repayment will be taken from there. Thinking about it, I would still be slightly ahead given that my taxable income will be lower. If I do end up purchasing an IP, I suppose I will just have to work out how much HECS I will have to pay and have it taken out of my pay each week as to avoid a massive tax bill come the end of the FY.

Being obligated to pay so much HECS at once would be too much of a burden, unless the tax benefits mean that I will still be ahead and paying off my debt faster.

I wish I had an accounting degree rather than a paramedics degree and in the progress LLB. I have to think about how it WILL pay off over time and to forget about my ever growing HECS debt.

You will only have a problem if you plan on using an ITW variation, and don't tell the ATO at that time that you have a HECS debt. I told them two years ago when i had a HECS debt and they incorporated the HECS debt into the rate they calculated for me. And come lodgment it was all ok.

Sorry MissAlison,

I gave you some bum advice. I would use the link provided by u3228133.

This link also states.
From 1 July 2009, the way that we define repayment income is changing.

From 1 July 2009 *HRI will be the sum of, taxable income plus any total net investment loss (which includes net rental losses), total reportable fringe benefits amounts, reportable super contributions and exempt foreign employment income.

I find their wording interesting though. When reading through their document labeled "How we work out your tax" it appears that the only net investment loss applicable to HECS repayments is from rental loss. This document outlines that Question 21 of the Taxpack is the relevant section for calculating rental loss. Question 21 of the Taxpack 2008 supplement refers to a rental property only.

Does this mean that if an individual borrows money to purchase shares, and the shares produce low dividends, that this investment loss is not added to your HECS assessable income? It seems a bit funny that the only loss added to your HRI is through property investing.

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/IND00133162n09760608e.pdf

Risky,

you are correct regarding the shares thing. It will also apply to FTB payments too. It is basically an equity issue, and also a budget one. Expect to see your 2010 tax return to look alot more complex than it already is.

Back