Help!!! I need to get my Brisbane property rented.

I've got a brand new property in Moggill which is 18km west of Brisbane CBD. It is located in a beautiful estate surrounded by above average homes. The problem is that I can't get it rented even though I've brought the rent down from $440 to $380 in the last few weeks. I know that it is May/June but I thought that it would be gone by now.

A friend of mine recently rented his house in the same estate for $460 per week.

What are my options?

• Get a new agent. My present agent doesn't seem proactive enough. Instead of making suggestions, he keeps on relying on my opinion.
  • Have a number of agents look for a tenant for me. Has anyone got an agent they can suggest for that part of Brisbane town?
  • Be patient and wait
  • Decrease the rent but how low should I go?

Would value your opinions.

how many agents have you got it listed with? if only the one, get at least another one or two tomorrow! don't wait as you will only lose out. fing around and ask about rents, length of time to let, tenant demand etc.

is your mates property comparable to yours? if so and your area is also comparable, it would probably be the agent who is not doing their job. how long have they been managing? by the sound of things, they aren't experienced.

i find that i have to be proactive with my agents all the time so that my property is the one dealt with NOW.

all the best

I would get more agents on board to advertise. I have recently had to do this as I have had a similar problem although the property was also for sale which makes it tougher. You could try a private ad to see if that attracts any enquiry. The main thing is to TRY something different if there is nothing happening. The agents in my area are telling me that not as many people are moving around at present - people are sitting tight. Saying this, it seems that some others on the forum are experiencing the opposite in their respective areas. :confused:

Uh....it isn't that ad that says "Ower says get it rented"?

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=69410839&s=qld&tm=1243144431

That's pretty bad advertising..... could be a sign of bad things to come from this agent....

The Y-man

ps. if it is this one, the yard looks a bit ordinary....

Thanks Y-man. I left it to the agent to word it. Didn't realise that it was that bad.

The house has been finished but more landscaping needs to be done. Maybe I need to get a better photo.

Appreciate your input

how many agents have you got it listed with? if only the one, get at least another one or two tomorrow! don't wait as you will only lose out. fing around and ask about rents, length of time to let, tenant demand etc.

is your mates property comparable to yours? if so and your area is also comparable, it would probably be the agent who is not doing their job. how long have they been managing? by the sound of things, they aren't experienced.

i find that i have to be proactive with my agents all the time so that my property is the one dealt with NOW.

all the best

Thanks graiseme. I've only got it listed with one agent. Yes, will take your advice and get it listed with more agents. My mate's property is a little bit better than mine but not $80.

I agree, I'm not as proactive as I should be. At times I'm too loyal to one organisation but am learning that this is not always the best approach.

Appreciate your input.

I would get more agents on board to advertise. I have recently had to do this as I have had a similar problem although the property was also for sale which makes it tougher. You could try a private ad to see if that attracts any enquiry. The main thing is to TRY something different if there is nothing happening. The agents in my area are telling me that not as many people are moving around at present - people are sitting tight. Saying this, it seems that some others on the forum are experiencing the opposite in their respective areas. :confused:

Thanks Rockstar. I will get more agents on board but sure if a private ad will help. According to my agent, he has tried advertisements in the local paper with little or no success. He thinks that it will be a waste of money.

As with the others, I appreciate your input.

According to my agent, he has tried advertisements in the local paper with little or no success. He thinks that it will be a waste of money.

Ask agent to show you the advertisement in paper.

Dear North Brisbane

• I experienced the same recently PM's said what they felt they could rent a new build for BUT it did not happen.
  • Local PM's have double the rentals on their books and less people looking to rent = quite time of year + FHOG & Boost have kicked in

You are doing the right thing by allowing pets - IMHO

I suspect a large part of the problem is that the agent's on the other side of Brisbane from the IP. If I wanted to rent in Moggill, I'd walk past all the RE agents in Kenmore - who are all in a row on Moggill Rd - and ask for their rental lists. I wouldn't go looking in Kedron. (If you decide to go for a Kenmore agent, Franzwa Van Vuuren is the principal at Brisbane West RE and is a consummate professional.)

Yes, I'd probably also look on realestate.com.au, but I'd think "the agent's at Kedron; he's not going to drive all the way across town to show me the property. He probably only comes over this way once a week". I'd assume that I couldn't arrange an inspection quickly, and move on, I think.

Also photos with a date that's 3 months ago are also a bad sign.

I suspect a large part of the problem is that the agent's on the other side of Brisbane from the IP. If I wanted to rent in Moggill, I'd walk past all the RE agents in Kenmore - who are all in a row on Moggill Rd - and ask for their rental lists. I wouldn't go looking in Kedron. (If you decide to go for a Kenmore agent, Franzwa Van Vuuren is the principal at Brisbane West RE and is a consummate professional.)

Yes, I'd probably also look on realestate.com.au, but I'd think "the agent's at Kedron; he's not going to drive all the way across town to show me the property. He probably only comes over this way once a week". I'd assume that I couldn't arrange an inspection quickly, and move on, I think.

Ditto to this. Also alot of renters don't even look online - they just drop into the local agents and ask what they have.

Um this might be odd. Maybe place an ad in newspaper? Thats not new, but i meant chinese newspaper? Never know. Mums previous IP was advertised via chinese newspaper and same with dads. Alot of response. But i dont know your area so may or may not work.

Anyway just a suggestion..

Um this might be odd. Maybe place an ad in newspaper? Thats not new, but i meant chinese newspaper? Never know. Mums previous IP was advertised via chinese newspaper and same with dads. Alot of response. But i dont know your area so may or may not work.

Anyway just a suggestion..

Uh, this is Moggill, not Sunnybank. :)

Hi Nth Brisbanite,

I also notice that there are 4BR properties for rent that are $30/week cheaper than yours, with landscaped gardens.

Certainly, I think the photo does not do it justice.

If you are really desperate, you might consider lowering the rent.;):)

Regards JO

Thanks for that information, Tracey. I'll contact Brisbane West RE. Didn't realise that the photo was so old so will have to get it updated.

Hi

Here's a tip for you. Once you get it rented, and soon I hope, have your lease expire in Jan or July. These are the 2 busiest periods of the year so if it comes vacant again during these times, you have the best chance to get it rented quicker, because this is the biggest inquiry period.
Dont get sucked into just offering a 6 or 12 mth lease, offer a 7 or 13 mth lease so you minimise your risk. The law does not say you have to offer a 6 or 12 mth lease!!:cool:

Best of luck

Hi

Here's a tip for you. Once you get it rented, and soon I hope, have your lease expire in Jan or July. These are the 2 busiest periods of the year so if it comes vacant again during these times, you have the best chance to get it rented quicker, because this is the biggest inquiry period.
Dont get sucked into just offering a 6 or 12 mth lease, offer a 7 or 13 mth lease so you minimise your risk. The law does not say you have to offer a 6 or 12 mth lease!!:cool:

Best of luck

Thanks for that tip and to everyone else for their advice. This forum continues to be so helpful. It provided me with a great finance broker which has dramatically turned my situation around.

Ozperp, I did contact your recommendation. They appear to be very professional.

Great news!!!! The house is now rented at the listed figure to people who want to stay for 3 years. Over that time I hope to get the rent up to market rate

Back