Help - tenants taking me to VCAT

lol luckyone, you are not wrong!

We negotiated what we thought was fair. We keep 1 months rent and don't charge lease break fees, they receive bond back.

Clearly not good enough. Here's hoping we get the same member second time around ;)

Good luck! I hope the judge leans your way. Sounds like you've done all the right things so far. Hopefully they don't take on the "poor me" attitude and have a judge who feels sorry for their dismal situation and feels like sticking it to the "rich" landlord.

Good luck! I hope the judge leans your way. Sounds like you've done all the right things so far. Hopefully they don't take on the "poor me" attitude and have a judge who feels sorry for their dismal situation and feels like sticking it to the "rich" landlord.

They usually do because VCAT judges earning $120k are pretty poor too and can't afford houses and rent.

They usually do because VCAT judges earning $120k are pretty poor too and can't afford houses and rent.

I wonder what would happen if a VCAT judge rented a house and the landlord decided to take the judge to VCAT.

Would it be one of those temporal distortions that forms a singularity of infinite mass, absorbing the universe as we know it?

I wonder what would happen if a VCAT judge rented a house and the landlord decided to take the judge to VCAT.

Would it be one of those temporal distortions that forms a singularity of infinite mass, absorbing the universe as we know it?
I strongly believe that is EXACTLY what would happen :).

Me too!! :)

I think after this next VCAT hearing it is time to look for a new PM.

Another visit to see them yesterday after receiving a statement of account (I asked why no payment was made on my other property). Well I found out why!! $3000 worth of repairs invoices dating back to June *sigh*

Most I approved....however, one related to an issue which I was told, was "tenant has reported a leak with the toilet", I said yes, get this looked at by a plumber.....

I presumed if it was anything other than a leak/seal issue I would be contacted. It turns out the entire toilet was replaced at a cost of $1200! Omg, I could have had my local water company do it under the single-dual flush scheme for $300.

What are the "rules" for PM's authorising work like this without my express consent? Is there a monetary value? It wasn't considered an "emergency repair" so how can they just spend my money however they choose? :S

Getting a little sick of this...can you tell ;)

I am told the next VCAT paperwork should be here early next week, yay! lol

:)

Cails,
Treat it like a business..and look after this stuff yourself.

You wouldn't buy a coffee shop and have a managing company oversee it for you...would you?

Why do so many think, you can make money, and have a bunch of people who probably don't even own a property themself..manage it?

Hi Kathryn,

I have been seriously thinking about it but I have also presumed I just don't have the time. I work about 70 hours a week and am often out of state or overseas.....

Also I am not so sure I would be good dealing directly with tenants...I think face to face I may be a little bit of a pushover (;)) and I would stress a lot about very minor issue...hence why I don't work in this kind of industry! lol

I suppose I saw the relative cost of a PM as pretty fair (when it works well!) and as in Australia we can claim the costs back through tax, it was even more attractive....

I will definitely think on it though...thanks Kathyrn.

Jess :)

I presumed if it was anything other than a leak/seal issue I would be contacted. It turns out the entire toilet was replaced at a cost of $1200! Omg, I could have had my local water company do it under the single-dual flush scheme for $300.

What are the "rules" for PM's authorising work like this without my express consent? Is there a monetary value? It wasn't considered an "emergency repair" so how can they just spend my money however they choose? :S

Recently had a cistern replaced for $180 which included the initial callout to diagnose the fault. Unless they were using a high end toilet suite, replacing a whole unit (without a rebate of course) should be 2 hours labour ($160'ish) and the suite of say $300.

The amount allowed to spend should be on your management agreement. Mine say $0 without authorisation, since I have my own network of trades which I can get better rates from than the agencies.

Thanks Dave!

The labour cost was around what you suggested. The parts came in at $795! I checked the fitting from the wall etc and they have not been changed so I am presuming this was just the suite and some minor extras.

Usually they always get a quote and let me know which I then approve/or say I will get alternate. For some reason this time they thought they wouldn't bother.

Jess

Goodness me that's crazy!! We ALWAYS get Owner's authorisation on ALL jobs, regardless of what amount is specified on the management agreement. It is time for you to get a new PM.

Wow - $1200 for a new toilet!!!! It had better do everything! Including clean itself and the shower & basin too.

Assuming your property is located in VIC the emergency amount a tenant can spend has just been changed to $1800 plus GST. Likely your authority says the agent can spend $1000 + GST on emergency repairs. Regardless of this, I would argue that they didn't contact you prior to the works going ahead and that the cost for the new toilet is excessive. I have recently advised a plumber to go ahead with replacing a toilet system, a water saving tri-flush for $290 including taking away the old system.

I would also be quite concerned about the invoices from JUNE not being paid before SEPTEMBER. Now that is over the top. I understand sometimes trades can be slow submitting their invoices but never are they 3 months behind!! They need their money to continue their business and they don't like to wait to be paid. I am concerned that your PM has had these invoices for some time and only just got around to entering them...... I would be worried about this not so much for now but if you had some maintenance done in February and were planning on claiming it on tax and your PM didn't bother to enter the invoices that financial year, it could mess you around a bit!

Shop around for a new PM and when you are looking ask them how long they have been working with tradies! You may also find it interesting to know that all real estate agents are bound by a code of ethics and obligations (hold laughter please!), one of these obligations are;

"disclose any personal or commercial relationship they have with a supplier to their client, if they recommend that supplier"

So if they are using someone that they are related to etc. then they need to tell you!!

Sez,

I am hoping it also pays my mortgage for me at that cost.

The PM has until today to research the situation and get back to us....we shall see what happens....

I did interview this owner PM and loved her! but unfortunately as business grew she hired another PM which is when the problems started. It seems that the last PM left in a very big hurry!!! And yes the invoices had been sitting there since June and she didn't bother to deal with them. I think the owner PM knows from the last meeting that I am at the end of my tether and will move!

I just need to get the VCAT and current issues sorted out and then re-evaluate! I am overseas for 3 months next year and really don't need this kind of thing occuring again.

Jess :)

Back