Help to find a Financial Planner in Melbourne please

Hi Folks,

My first post, although I have lurked :) and "listened" with keen interest to a number of your intelligent and enthusiastic discussions. Thanks for those.

I'm hoping to find a couple of strong options for a financial planner that will help me asap.

I'm in Melbourne, own the family home, have a couple of IPs, some equity, and a few shares with some gearing. I want to maximise what I can get done this year to progress my financial position, but I need a plan, which I've never operated with to date. I need to find an honest, passionate, caring, property-savvy advisor - I've heard there's one or two of them, but you've got to look hard!!

In reading some old posts on the forum, I found Steve Navra references. I checked out his Living on Equity paper, and it interested me greatly. However, he doesn't seem to have planners/representatives in Melbourne, so that doesn't appear to be an option for me. In old posts, Steve N did say some good things about Katrina Gay (nee Nicholson?) who is now with The Salisbury Group. Does anyone have any recent experience with Katrina and/or Salisbury?

Any advice, comments, recommendations would be very much appreciated.

SteveD

Last edited:
Hi dowlers,

Contact Katrina Nicholson at Nicholson Financial Planning. She was the Navra rep in Melbourne until she went out on her own. She can be contacted on:

03 9387 7505

Note: have just spoken to Katrina who has informed me that due to pesonal circumstances, she may not be taking on anymore clients this year. So sorry about that people! I wasn't aware.

Mark

Last edited:
Mark

I'd be concerned that Steve Navra does not cover Melbourne at all. Granted, Katrina was the rep, and split off. But, presumably she has been at least a little time away from her position at Navra. It would appear thta, despite my suggestion, that Steve cannot cover enquiries from Melbourne, at least in the short term?

Hi Geoff,

Can't see why not. Our client base stretches from way up in Weipa all the way around to Perth! I'm sure if dowlers contacts the office, it's not going to be an issue.

Mark

Thanks Guys, I'll have a chat with them about how effective a service they can provide "remotely".

I must say, I was hopeful of a couple more "hot tips" on options for a financial planner that people had experienced. Particularly one that could independantly advise on Navra and Steve's approach to living-on-equity.

Cheers, SteveD

I must say, I was hopeful of a couple more "hot tips" on options for a financial planner that people had experienced.

Cheers, SteveD

It's kind of difficult because it's a bit like cars - not sure if you are after a 2 seat sports car, a small fuel efficient one, a big 6, or a 4wd .... :)

Really need to know what your expectations of a planner are.

FYI, we use Freeman Fox (based in Qld but they have people on the ground here in Melbourne too).

http://www.freemanfox.com.au/frame.asp?mainFrame=/wealthclubpageone.htm

Cheers,

The Y-man

Thanks Y-Man.

I've got some investments, equity and a good job in IT management. I'm hopeful of being in a position to quit the day job in maybe 5 or 6 years, perhaps living on equity thereafter such as Steve Navra promotes. I think I need a planner to help me do that, party because of my lack of knowledge, but also lack of time outside of my job. I believe I need them to support and enhance my property investing, shares, and best use of equity, to accelerate my position from where it is today.

Is that sort of description of needs of any use in determining an appropriate, qulaity planner, or is it still too general?

Steve

I'm in the process of getting advice through Freeman Fox (as Y-man mentioned).

I suspect that they will be pushing share based investments against property. I don't have a problem with that, but I will try to keep an eye on the property side as well.

Back