Help with bathroom exhaust fan

Has anyone had this same issue, or recommend what u would do. I have an investment property, it is a second floor unit, out of a three story complex. So it has a concrete floor and roof. The paint in the bathroom is subjected to a lot of moisture from the shower as there is no exhaust fan fitted causing the paint to peel and excess mould. I do not want the moisture to start seeping into the plaster and walls. I emailed my property manager asking to get a quote on a wall mounted exhaust fan.

They replied that they would not be able to install it to the exterior wall of the bathroom where the window is as the gas hot water system is there and may not be compliant due to combustion/flue gases. Therefore they propose to install it to the section of wall that is actually the plumbing duct.

I'm thinking that this may cause more issues venting moisture into the duct, as I don't know how well ventilated it is either or if it's allowed.

As well as the issue of installing new surface duct on the cement roof to run power to the new fan from the bathroom light fitting, they could also drill into a water pipe or conduit for which they won't take responsibility. Will insurance cover me?. It is strata.

I really want to fix the moisture issue, but think that I could be causing bigger issues later on. I don't want to remove the gas hot water system for electric, this is an extra cost to me that I don't want.

What would you do???

Ta

From memory air conditioners need to be 1 meter away from gas hot water systems.

Maybe you should find out what the exact distance is in regards to Australian standards and reply armed with that info?

From memory air conditioners need to be 1 meter away from gas hot water systems.

Maybe you should find out what the exact distance is in regards to Australian standards and reply armed with that info?

I'll do a quick search and see what I can dig up. I also noticed that the window above the hot water system has a small mesh vent that runs the distance of the window about one inch width at the top. I don't want the fan in the window as vibration etc causes the window to crack. I would of thought if it has a small vent on the window, would a fan really matter much.

Tell your tenants to open the bathroom window and door when they finished showering, otherwise they can start looking for a new place.

A few years back one of my IP become a PPOR. OK it was a house, but the tenants that lived there, must have splashed water everywhere when showering. There was water in the hallway and heaps of mildew on the bathroom wall/ceiling.

Also, the sliding shower door was constantly breaking (probally coz of slamming)

I cleaned and fixed everything up.

In the two years I stayed there, mate, there never was one drop of water anywhere other than in the shower recess. There was no mildew anywhere and the shower door was perfect.

New tenant comes in and all the old problems re emerge. Aaaahhh !

Its all about using the ol' grey matter and respecting property.

Firstly, if a window is installed in the room, then it becomes the primary source of ventilation for the room. Therefore, irrespective of whether an exhaust fan is installed, if the room in question has a window installed in accordance with the provisions of sub-clause (a) then the ventilation requirements for the room complies with the BCA.

So does this mean I can install a wall mounted electrical fan next to the window??

Has anyone had this same issue, or recommend what u would do. I have an investment property, it is a second floor unit, out of a three story complex. So it has a concrete floor and roof. The paint in the bathroom is subjected to a lot of moisture from the shower as there is no exhaust fan fitted causing the paint to peel and excess mould. I do not want the moisture to start seeping into the plaster and walls. I emailed my property manager asking to get a quote on a wall mounted exhaust fan.

Putting the ventilation issue aside, have you used a mould treatment in the paint. Also, it may be better to use semi-gloss or gloss paint on all painted surfaces as these paints then to be more impervious to moisture penetration.

They replied that they would not be able to install it to the exterior wall of the bathroom where the window is as the gas hot water system is there and may not be compliant due to combustion/flue gases. Therefore they propose to install it to the section of wall that is actually the plumbing duct.

I'm thinking that this may cause more issues venting moisture into the duct, as I don't know how well ventilated it is either or if it's allowed.

A couple of issues here: plumbing regs/manufacturer's specs will reveal how far away from a gas flue can be from the corner of a building or a window, it would surprise me that there is a minimum distance for an exhaust near the flue.

As for venting into the duct - where is the moisture going to go? There is a slab top and bottom, probably fire collars (if it is a modern building) otherwise sealed with sand/cement slurry, asbestos, silicone or other gunk.

Could a window mounted fan be installed (if the distance of the window from the flue complies, then so would a fan in the window).

As well as the issue of installing new surface duct on the cement roof to run power to the new fan from the bathroom light fitting, they could also drill into a water pipe or conduit for which they won't take responsibility. Will insurance cover me?. It is strata.

Try double sided tape, probably no pipes in the slab itself (more likely to hit power if it is an older building). If the builder damages it, the builder fixes it (they should carry their contractors all-risk insurance).

I really want to fix the moisture issue, but think that I could be causing bigger issues later on. I don't want to remove the gas hot water system for electric, this is an extra cost to me that I don't want.

What would you do???

Ta

Investigate your other options.

Thankyou for your replies. Has helped me out. Yeah I thought exhausting into the plumbing duct was a bad idea as well. I don't want to compound my issues.

Our unit is on the second floor with concrete floor and walls and ceiling. No exhaust fan in the window but there's a window. We keep it open and no major moisture or mould problem. Just clean it regularly.
And yes, we used gloss paints and invest in moisture resistant coats.

installed exhaust fan in bathroom window, hooked up to the light switch, so they can either shower in the dark and mould the walls, or they can have the lights and fan on. not sure about vibration to the window, been there about 5 years now I think?

Buy a decent exhaust fan and have the window runners replaced and it wont vibrate, doesnt have to be a massive powerful unit, just need to circulate the air, Ours was a 8" and allowed the window to still open about 2 or 3 inches.

Solved any issues we might have had, Wiring was the biggest pain due to the concrete ceiling.

Back