Help with dual occupancy valuation

Hi maybe you can help me out here......

I finally decided to get my dual occupancy revalued as I was aware that (finally) the local market had moved. This was confirmed by agents, actual sales prices I was aware of, Residex and even by the local valuers themselves. Having been confounded by valuers here before I rang and spoke to them about the basis on which it would be valued. He confirmed that “the only way to do this was by comparison with recent sales although dual occupancy are rare (here) it could be compared with duplex sales” (of which there have been at least 8 in the last few months). Being happy with this I asked him to proceed.

A week later I get my valuation – only 2.6% higher than about 18 months ago (reason being I have increased the rent) – the basis on which it is valued is on net rental return – ie gross rent less 2-3% for vacancies, rates, water, insurance, R & M and management – then capitalised at 8%. Although these weren’t identified in the report I rang him to confirm how he had come to this conclusion – I also disagree with this mathematics.

He did a comparison of recent sales of duplexes that ranged in net rental return of 6 – 8% from sales 3 – 5 months ago.

But it gets worse – he did a valuation of the land and buildings – somehow I don’t know how but it is less than last year’s valuation!!!!! I know of sales of similar houses in the street that if doubled would be well in excess of this valuation or what I expected.

But what makes me even more upset and frustrated is that with this method of valuation I will only ever get an increase in valuation if I manage to increase the rent and with costs such as rates, insurance and other fees always increasing my property will probably never increase in value. Or sell.

HELP – how can I get them to change their valuation?

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

Is your dual-occ one title? Or have you or can you unit title them or even better subdivide the block?

Was the valuer the same one as you used before? The valuer is partly right as there is a limited market for dual-occs on one title - for investors only really. But if you are able to sell them off separately (even if you don't plan to sell) s/he must vaue them as individual properties and use the standard res sales as comparisons (with some adjustments of course).

You'll be pushing it to get them to change the existing valuation unless you can fault the rational or numbers. Perhaps you could supply him/her with your comparables and rational - it sounds like you have? Based on figures that you supply plus comparables and armed with the old valuation (to show how little s/he thinks it's moved compared to the eveidence) you may have a chance.

Good luck,

Michael Croft (sometime valuer)

Michael

Yes he has valued them as being subdivideable and the valuation on this is worse than last year. He asked me some questions about the cost of subdividing - which I have investigated. He had no idea about the costs including the cost of 60 metre concrete driveway which is required. He estimated in his report that it would cost $5K - but my research indicates about $12K.

However I have just spent my lunch hour with a few agents one of whom has lent me his Residex sales figures for the last 12 months so I can compare sales. We had a look at a few sales and found that he had picked the worst sales over a period.

Anyway I'll just keep plugging away. The agents reckon the API article has made a big impact here so next year maybe I'll have another go.

Thanks

Cathy

Rolf

Checked this out with agents - they are the major valuers in town and the feeling was the other valuer was often worse!!

Will banks use out of town valuers?

Cathy

Back