Helping family

Hi, I am still learning about RE investing and don't know much at all about wrapping and LOs, but I am thinking of a stategy to help my brother and his partner buy a unit. We have a very good relationship. They can't get finance themselves (self employed, not very stable etc). But because he sold his Coogee IP last year, he has at least $50,000 left in some interest account.

His partner has an IP in Melbourne that she can't sell yet (can't get out of a loan cheaply), but in about a year she will be able to sell it.

They are renting in Southport QLD for $220 a week, and have seen a unit in that area which they like to buy but can't get finance.

I was thinking, if they can choose a unit, I could buy it for them and they can pay me off until they own it, something like a LO but more flexible, not 'officially', just arranged between us and a self-made contract signed by both of us.

If my brother can pay a deposit of say $50,000 on a say $200,000 unit, I can then get a loan for $150,000 plus I'd have to pay for the cost from our LOC.

Next year, when his girlfriend sells het IP in Melbourne, they can probably pay the whole lot or almost the whole lot.

THe problem is, I actually want it to be a win/win situation where I also make some money, say at least $10,000.
But I find it really hard to make money out of my own family. I also want him to really profit from it so that I don't have the feeling that I'm taking advantage of his bad situation.

What do you think, should I do this? I haven't menditoned it to him yet until I'm sure I want to go through with this.

Any one who knows how to negotiate this the best way possible for both parties? I'd appreciate any comments and opinions. Or if you know a better way, please tell me.

If your brother has $50K in cash then I dont think he's tried too hard to get finance on a $200K unit...

Unless he's an undischarged bankrupt it should be very easy for him to get finance.

Duncan.

Hiya

50 000 for 200 k easy as long as he has an ABN and hs been se for 2 years or more.

Integris Lo doc 6.55 variable + 850 app fee + around .75 % LMI.

300 deffered establishment if he gets out within 5 years.

Sugest he sees a good independent broker.

ta

rolf

Thanks, I'll encourage him to see another broker. You'll never know. Problem is, that he's only been SE for less than a year, and not making a lot of money at the moment. Very bad servicability.
May be if they can wait another year until his partners can sell her IP things will be much easier.

Hiya

On the lo doc type product they dont need to income.

Additionally there are funders that will do a loan without the minimum service history too
Ta

rolf

try pacific mortage corp in qld southport
they do lo doc loans,he could easily afford one and a unit there for less than 200k.we just purchased a pair of duplexes for 295 in southport with a lo doc se loan through pacific.was even easier than goig to a normal bank.
going in with family and friends doesnt work,it just ends in family domestics.

Rolf,
Can you recommend any good independent Brokers, I am in the sw area of Sydney.
Am looking for first IP and I am finding the financial side quite daunting. Time being the big issue.

Hi celivia
Agree with fitguy on dealing with family.Wife s brother and girlfriend renting .both have good jobs but no deposit.Builder friend getting divorce offers nearly reno prop for a song $295.
Make a deal with B/law I pay dep,S/D and legals $45 they borrow rest and live in and pay mortgage on prop while we renovate.At the end we sell and split CG 50/50.They have deposit go their way I go mine.Win/win both ways.3 months girlfriend father dies leaves a small fortune.I am told like the prop so much they would love to stay there.Pay me back $45 exactly and thank you so much.Other half tells me they are family let it go.Well property was sold 14 months later $620.How do I feel ? Oh very well it was great to help family my wife tells me.Happy business deals
Layer181

Hi, Layer, Feel sorry for you, this is BAD! You've put me right off dealing with family, it's probably better not to mix business and family. I don't want to spoil a good relationship, would be such a shame. Things will probably work out for them.

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

Layer181:

That's a real bummer. Although it also occurred to me that it seems you did not have a formal agreement in place, which probably would have either disallowed them to do what they did, or would have said that if they wanted to buy you out it had to be 1/2 share of market value plus legals etc.

Problem with doing this with family is that when you pull out an agreement they'll get all huffy and say you don't trust them. Stiff bickies. It's for the protection of both parties

LAYER 181:

What a story!
If there was ever a story to put you off going into ANYTHING with family this would be it.
what an unfortunate situation but I bet you'll never make the same decision again.

I believe in karma! You'll be rewarded!

guys some people don't get it ,totally oblivious even ask for my help on W/ends to finish reno.;) but I was oh soooo busy they gave up and paid subbies.We all get on fine as one big family which is what matters in the end I guess.
layer181

Back