High LVR's and 2nd tier lenders?

Hi Everyone

I have been looking into 95% LVR loans with LMI capitalised and have read some relevant threads on SSF. I am aware of just how difficult it can be to qualify for these types of loans, but for a variety of reasons this is our requirement. Other necessary criteria include being able to (initially) do a land loan (~$210K) plus a construction loan (~$240K) for a H&L package, I/O, and prefereably to be able to merge the two loans once the construction loan settles. I would really appreciate some feedback on lender options for this type of loan.

CBA, WBC, ANZ and NAB are all out, either because they don't capitalise LMI or I'm not an existing customer. So that brings the likes of BankWest, ING, RAMS, Suncorp, etc.. onto the radar. BankWest's Mortgage Shredder looks like a solid product but has a relatively higher IR at 7.3% var. By comparison RAMS, for example, has a competitive IR but a 1% early repayment fee in the first 3 years, however I'm not sure whether this is a deterrent enough to avoid such a lender. We wouldn't look to sell the IP but we would likely look to release equity (eg. via a LOC) during this period. If a current lender's policy made this difficult we would look elsewhere, so I guess this is possible in the first 3 yrs. Being able to link a 100% offset account and limit ongoing fees is also a consideration but not as critical as other criteria.

I have only ever banked with members of the Big 4 and would be interested in people's experience or opinions with secondary lenders who offer 95% plus LMI cap. Also are there any hidden risks that I have overlooked? Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Angela :)

Hi Angela

95 plus lmi plus construct, Interest only AND you want a decent rate and a low break cost : ),

and perhaps an offset, and a lender that will top up equity for unspecified purposes

Gee, thats some wish list

Subject to the usual criteria I can see BWA doing it, but Suncorp unlikley on IO. Rams credit and LMI are pretty eqasy as well so no issues there. There are a couple of other lenders that will do much of what you want, but........

How much gen savings please and is it for owner occ or IP please ?

ta
rolf

95 plus lmi plus construct, Interest only AND you want a decent rate and a low break cost : ),

and perhaps an offset, and a lender that will top up equity for unspecified purposes

Gee, thats some wish list

Hif Rolf. I guess if you don't ask you never know. A girl can dream can't she?! :D

How much gen savings please and is it for owner occ or IP please

Genuine savings of $145K and will be an IP.

RAMS have just changed the 1% (or higher on some products) early repayment fee.

Effective from now this will be a capped fee that is structured as follows:

Loan discharged in year 1 - $1,600
Loan discharged in year 2 - $1,000
Loan discharged in year 3 - $ 600

There will be no ERF's in year 3 or 4, which some RAMS products previously had.

This affects both new and existing loans.

is this old Rams, new Rams or all Rams? I have friends just itching to exit an old rams loan

is this old Rams, new Rams or all Rams? I have friends just itching to exit an old rams loan

Its the new RAMS. RHG is the old RAMS and they are completley seperate. RAMS is now owned by Westpac. I am trying to find out what RHG are doing in regards to this and I will post any updates that I get.

Thanks
Marni

This is great news. However, it will be interesting to see whether this concession on ERF's results in an increase to RAMS variable rates? It certainly makes RAMS 95% + LMI cap. products look more attractive when compared to Bankwest with its higher 7.3% IR.

Can anyone provide any feedback on their experience dealing with (the newer Westpac owned) RAMS or Bankwest for IP purchases? Any pitfalls?

Thanks
Angela :)

A question for the brokers...

Having read a few other posts on the fourm I am a little confused...:confused:

Are RAMS products still available through brokers? I have read in some posts that RAMS pulled out of the broker market completely a few months back?

Having had an initial look at the RAMS website a few of their products look like they could meet my needs. eg. RAMS IO Maximiser, RAMS Basic, RAMS Rate Relief. BUT I prefer to use a broker.

Thanks
Angela

You need to contact your local RAMS franchise as they no longer deal directly with Brokers. I'm in Qld but if you have any questions I would be happy to help you.
In regards to RHG they have not changed their ERF's as of yet. I would imagine that they are in no hurry to either.

Okay...wow...what a selection of responses! :eek: So to recap, most brokers can't access RAMS products, some can, and RAMS has franchises if you need to approach them directly! I knew there was a reason we had always used a broker to steer us through the lending minefield!! :D

No they are not accesible through the Broker network (thankfully).

some brokers still have access to RAMS product............Though after this week I am wondering if its such a good idea :(

I'm almost afraid to ask why you both have reservations about dealing with RAMS. Is it service based (i.e. dealing with RAMS as a broker is/was a frustrating exercise), or is it product related?

Not having heard any negative comments thus far from anyone about their customer experiences with RAMS, I was hopeful that I had finally found the answer to my original post that started this thread! I was all ready to ring our broker and get things moving! :rolleyes: So close, yet maybe so far away! :D

Angela

Back