Highly expensive resources forgetaboudit

I recently bought a brand new 13 cd 1 dvd collection from a highly respected guru for US $40!.
It is the entire two day live mentoring program on cds.
I think we are about to see very good value buys around in this regard so before you spend big bucks........
If anyone would like to know the details just leave a pm. :)

I have absolutely no connection the any Real Estate company, it`s just great value info.

If the gurus are right, ie:

- 10% of the population bothers to find out about <insert guru idea here>
- Only 10% of this 10% bothers to act on what they learnt

then it follows that 90% of guru packs are bound to be gathering dust on shelves, and are likely to find their way to eBay or the local op-shop eventually.

If general sentiment turns against property, then we should see a flood of such material at give-away prices.

Peter

Yep, I think a lot of people will come to realise over time...they`ve been had!. :rolleyes:

The question is, are they giveaway prices or realistic prices?, I say these giveaway prices are a lot closer to actual worth. ;)

markpatric said:
The question is, are they giveaway prices or realistic prices?, I say these giveaway prices are a lot closer to actual worth. ;)

It depends on the content and how it stands up over time.

Bear in mind that not only is there a 'time value of money' but also a 'time value of knowledge'. Both can depreciate or atrophy if unused.

Some material imparts knowledge that is enduring and of long-term value. Other material has material that is only useful short term.

An example of enduring knowledge would be the principles in 'The Richest Man in Babylon' or 'The Millionaire Mind'. Such books with timeless information is probably worth no less than when it was first printed.

A secondhand copy may be a little battered, but this does not devalue the information within, so that is why op-shop books selling well below their cover prices are such bargains, provided the principles remains applicable.

Books written by current gurus are somewhat more time-specific. Examples would be Steve McKnight's 0-130 book (buy a heap of $50k houses in Ballarat) and one of the Fred Johnston books (which made a very strong case for buying in Sydney in 1997). Both books have some general principles that could apply in other markets at other times. But if you bought both books at the time and followed the authors recommendations you would have made a lot of money. Hence though both books have inherent worth, this is somewhat less than when the book first came out.

Other material dates even quicker. For instance stuff on wraps is useless if yields drop or financiers change their lending arrangements. It's a similar story with statistics or detailed market analyses prepared at a certain time.

The use of such time-dependent information mignt well have made some people (not just the seller!) a lot of money at the time. But information depreciation can be almost 100% in a couple of years and (unless it's needed for long-term historical comparisons) the stuff may only be good for keeping warm.

Peter

Since you mention it, I wouldn`t place much value at all on Steve McKnights books, among others, as they are nothing more than glorified advertising brochures imo, and not very good ones either. :D
Books are generally great value and always will be because of the fact you only need an idea or two out of each to get value, but seminars and thier content selling for $1000 and up for a day or two based on the fact you might make a lot of money in the future is really what I was getting at. :)

markpatric said:
Since you mention it, I wouldn`t place much value at all on Steve McKnights books, among others, as they are nothing more than glorified advertising brochures imo, and not very good ones either. :D

That's a wee harsh; I found them worthwhile, though his writing and marketing style is very American (probably due to where his ideas come from).

Books are generally great value and always will be because of the fact you only need an idea or two out of each to get value,

Especially now as we seem to be in a buyer's market for property-related books with the discounts deepening.

Purchased yesterday was Bernard Salt's 'The Big Shift' on the clearance table for $2.00 (no more left, sorry). And seen at Dymocks in Elsternwick were both McKnight books in a bubble pack - discounted $15.

but seminars and thier content selling for $1000 and up for a day or two based on the fact you might make a lot of money in the future is really what I was getting at. :)

Though admittedly some people prefer visual and verbal content to reading and value the social interaction/networking opportunities, so it's horses for courses.

Peter

If you want to interact with people with this mindset.....that is your problem!. :D :D ;)
But you also want to pay for the privilege?. :eek:

Seriously though I agree, I also enjoy the seminar atmosphere but one hour is my limit!.
I would gladly pay hundreds even thousands for a worthwhile seminar, but I can`t find one.

Last edited:
Back