history of cash-positive properties

Hi guys

I have read a couple of property investing books, inclusing the author of this website. Anyway it sounds to me like in the past there has been a lot of cash-positive properties on the market. Especially writters like Steven Mcknight make it sound like in the early 2000s there were cf+ everywhere he looked.
I am also aware of the high interest rates of the 80's in australia so not sure how that ties in.
But basically what I am asking is, has there ever been a golden-age for people who wanted to persue a strategy of acquiring cf+ properties to build up their portfolios? Or it has always been very difficult, and has now become much more difficult?

I am just wondering if the strategy needs adjusting with the times. Perhaps add in the component of a renovation to boost rent etc.

12 months ago they were on the shelf all over western syndey, south west sydney and regional NSW. They didnt look CF+ but they were, because pricces hadnt moved however rents were and psyche hadnt caught on.

I reckon over a period of a week I would witness 30-40 of them in todays market week in week out.

12 months ago they were on the shelf all over western syndey, south west sydney and regional NSW. They didnt look CF+ but they were, because pricces hadnt moved however rents were and psyche hadnt caught on.

I reckon over a period of a week I would witness 30-40 of them in todays market week in week out.

Wasn't that due to the sharp drop in interest rates which didn't remain low for long.

Nope, not when you buy regionals for $60k renting for $180-$200pw. Now they are $100,000 renting for $200pw and these are towns of 10,000+ populations with bunnings etc...

Sydney properties $160,000-$200,000 renting for $270-$300pw.

They are still out there but takes more skill to find them. 2008 - 2009 they were everywhere.

Steve reckons right now is a once in a life time opportunity to buy CF+... in the US

third leg down is what i'm hearing - but the fact that some cities are sitting at 1993 prices means they can't get much lower - values may just stagnate and inflation may take hold.....

appears that no matter what your country's economic credentials, everyone's looking down the barrell of stagflation.

interesting how that can happen - reeks of architecture.

But basically what I am asking is, has there ever been a golden-age for people who wanted to persue a strategy of acquiring cf+ properties to build up their portfolios? Or it has always been very difficult, and has now become much more difficult?

I reckon there was a golden age. Starting about 1996 and going to 2000 in say Sydney, and extending to a later date in other areas. In my part of rural NSW, house prices never took off till 2003, and then they promptly doubled or more in a few years.

This was caused by the high interest rates and inflation of the 70's and 80's. Lots of people including my family nearly went under from 20% interest rates, and people were scared to borrow much for a long time after.

Houses were super cheap in 1996, and I reckon these times were a one off and may never happen again.

Rental yields may have been high as well 10 years earlier, say in the 80's, but if interest rates are 15% and rental yields are just 8%, then they are no where near cashflow positive, but probably worse than today. I don't remember many people having much cash in the 80's, it was tough.

See ya's.

third leg down is what i'm hearing - but the fact that some cities are sitting at 1993 prices means they can't get much lower - values may just stagnate and inflation may take hold.....

appears that no matter what your country's economic credentials, everyone's looking down the barrell of stagflation.

interesting how that can happen - reeks of architecture.

It is a good time even if the leg is going down. You'll never catch the bottom.

But as an investment proposition, at 8% yield and 2% interest rates in key cities (not talking rubbish Detroit 25% yield styles), why not?

At 80% gearing, that's 30% ROE

Rental yields may have been high as well 10 years earlier, say in the 80's, but if interest rates are 15% and rental yields are just 8%, then they are no where near cashflow positive, but probably worse than today. I don't remember many people having much cash in the 80's, it was tough.

I would rather 5% yields and 7% interest rates than 8% yields and 15% interest rates.

Back