Hobby Farm, Living our dream!! Sharing our journey........

Hi GG,

I usually disagree with Evand, but not this time. A lot of those things the marketing expert was doing, I would consider priority one for me to do if it was my business.

This group is one of your competitors, I take it you have been there to have a look.

http://www.farm.org.au/home/index.php

Develop / brush up on skills in animal handling, breeding etc

You may be at a disadvantage here compared to your competitors who could have/probably have been around farm animals all their lives. Need to ask yourself if you can do a better job than the competition, with less experience.
Maybe some novel/rare type animals??

Also, knowing local councils, I would 'repair' that shed immediately, before they came anywhere near the place. One wiff of that asbestos on the side of the shed from them and you will have lots of expenses. Plus on an acreage you can usually get away with repairs that tend to upgrade the size as well. ;)

I've been on a few acres for 25 years, and I would not take on this type of business, because I don't have enough practical experience with the variety of animals necessary to make it unique. Hiring others with experience will eat greatly into revenues.

For my money, first stop insurance 'how much', then council for appropriate zoning rules only, then "repairs", then gaining experience, then look at lots of competition, then maybe start developing plan with professional.

bye

GG,

If you're intending to make it into a business, given the recent tax changes the first thing you might want to do is stop calling it a "hobby" farm.

Cheers,
GP

She has a business degree, marketing agree and she is a graphic designer for web and publications. I have had business dealings with her for the past 15 years and she has always been on the mark with her market research.

GG

Has she mentioned that you'll need a "working with children check"?

Hi again,

so a home based business not a mobile farm???
I know some of this has been covered but here is my take...
Council consent to operate a home business, Public liability, restrooms, lunch rooms? Educational facilities?? or purely petting farm. Parking space/ mini van turning space. Increased traffic to the area/ street, dams/ or natural water and kids do not go well....Disability access (we cannot discriminate someone from seeing Bambi).
Special Licsense's for keeping certain types of animals..
I could go on and on.....
I have been on a farm all my life, many with small animals and maybe while your learning more about animal husbandary you can research the facts and figures and viability.
But where there is Passion and Dreams there can be success....
(Remember no more holidays once the "farm begins" unless you have goo caretakers..)
If you have any horse N pony qurries let me know.
Lisa
www.wyattparkstud.homestead.com

Hi again,

so a home based business not a mobile farm???
I know some of this has been covered but here is my take...
Council consent to operate a home business, Public liability, restrooms, lunch rooms? Educational facilities?? or purely petting farm. Parking space/ mini van turning space. Increased traffic to the area/ street, dams/ or natural water and kids do not go well....Disability access (we cannot discriminate someone from seeing Bambi).
Special Licsense's for keeping certain types of animals..
I could go on and on.....
I have been on a farm all my life, many with small animals and maybe while your learning more about animal husbandary you can research the facts and figures and viability.
But where there is Passion and Dreams there can be success....
(Remember no more holidays once the "farm begins" unless you have goo caretakers..)
If you have any horse N pony qurries let me know.
Lisa
www.wyattparkstud.homestead.com

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your reply, i always look forward to your imput :)

When I say homebased business, I mean a busines I can run from home, a Mobile farm (and maybe down the track, a farm visit version will evolve)

And regarding holidays, i have a lot of people who will look after my farm. A big box this business needs to tick, is lifestyle and we love going away on holidays :)

Thanks Lisa for your offer of help re Ponies / horses. They will be down the track, once i have everything up and running.

Cheers,

GG

I think I would probably make contact with someone doing this already but not in your area as they may not be very helpful if you are going to be their competition. Go spend some time with them and you will be able to get most of the answers you need without running around after too many other different people and/or organisations.

Good idea though to look for a point of difference - shame its not England as you would be able to have all kinds of exotics and run a falconry centre into the bargain! I kept a few birds of prey and bred barn owls myself back in the day.

How about getting a reptile licence and maybe you could breed and sell reptiles?

How about setting up a paintball experience they seem to be popular places.

I'm a Scout Leader and my Wife is a Kinder teacher :D

GG

A Police check (Criminal records check) costs about $50.00. I had to do a Child Protection Course last week - and guess what I have to do it every year + Police check every 3 years as working with children and vulnerable persons.

nice concept, i dont know its feasability but it sounds nice.
Personally i wouldnt change the name, i like the name, also it stops any future competitors using the district as its name.

Ideas im sure you have thought of this already:
1) approaching all the primary schools in melbourne
2) approaching the government, with regards to disabled people (at some discounted price). This is not as corney as it sounds, there are alot of government sponsorship programs that cater for the disabled. However you will need a track record, so get point one in order.
3) during school holidays, there are special day care centres that look after the kids during the school holidays. get yourself in one of these programs (you will have to offer a kick back if you know what i mean, because these are privately run organisations). There is one in box hill (or there used to be anyway, i went there as a kid, every few days they have an excusion to somewhere, paid for by the parents).
4) website that has a 'wow' factor

Last edited:
That's cool mate. I was questioning you because it sounds like you are pinning a large amount of your crucial business decisions on her sole advice.

I've been in business long enough to realise that a lot of people get all warm and fuzzy and make emotional decisions about these things when the decisions should be based on cold fact only. Its a bit of a tough attitude but needs to be for the survival of a business.

She sounds the goods. Good Luck with it.

Evand,

As I mentioned, I/we have been dealing with her for 15 years, if we didn't see results, she wouldn't have gotten past the first year :cool:

GG

Started to build animal enclousures over the weekend (rural fencing) Got it all wrong, learning by my mistakes :)

Its a learning curve, it wouldn't be fun if it was easy :rolleyes:

GG

Just quietly I think we can all see how keen you are but I think if it was me I might have waited just a little bit to get the results of a feasability study in before spending money.

In the meantime when you are a big success can me and hubby get a discount on a romantic farmstay - is there such a thing?

Just quietly I think we can all see how keen you are but I think if it was me I might have waited just a little bit to get the results of a feasability study in before spending money.

In the meantime when you are a big success can me and hubby get a discount on a romantic farmstay - is there such a thing?

Hi Sparky,

Even if i wasn't starting up this business, I would still need this fencing done for my animals :)

You are most welcome to stay, Maybe a Somersoft meeting place :D

GG

Hi Sparky,

Even if i wasn't starting up this business, I would still need this fencing done for my animals :)

You are most welcome to stay, Maybe a Somersoft meeting place :D

GG

All good then and thank you for your kind invitation!

Maybe a bit of lateral thinking and invite the somersofters over now for a working bee! LOL

Back