Holiday in New Zealand (on budget)

Cross over to see the two glaciers (Fox and Franz Joseph)

There's dozens of glaciers in the NZ Southern Alps but Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers are easily the most accessable (they two of only a handful of glaciers in the world that descend so low in altitude and into forest).

If you look on this page of my users gallery you'll see some pics of the glaciers and also of Lake Matheson (which is not that far from the glaciers).

M

Hi Sue78,
That road looks scary:eek: Is it like that all the way to the top?

If I am going through Arthurs Pass but if I don't want to stay overnight in Greymouth, where will be the best place to stay. My friend told me Greymouth is not the most exciting place.

Will it be too rush to travel from Christchurch to Franz Joseph or Fox Glazier in one day? We are trying to stay an extra day in Queenstown. More time to look for an IP for BruceW.;)

Yes and it gets scarier the higher you get! drive very slow! but the Remarkables is very good for beginners coz they have the magic carpet which is like a long treadmill and the beginners area has only a slight slope....unlike Perisher which I think is horrible for beginners as the beginners slope is steep and they use the stupid t-bar thing which is dangerous.

I loved the beginner runs off the chair lifts.

Don't stop in Greymouth, there really isn't much to do there. We went from Christchurch to Franz Josef in one day. The tranzscenic leaves very early and arrives in gremouth at around noon....pick up car, get lunch, go to the supermarket and stock up then off to franz josef....you can stop along the way to take pics. Get to franz Josef in the early evening! Hike up the glaciers the next day.....mind you, I am very unfit and have asthma. the helicopters wouldn't go up at that day coz it was too cloudy so we had to hike instead....I got about 3/4 of the way before giving up!! but I got to see glaciers hiking Mt Cook (from a distance)..it's flat and way easier but just as dangerous... we walked the track that had just been partly cleared from an avalanche a few days back.

From franz josef, it's a long drive to queenstown. we stayed 1 night in haast and it was quite scary...felt like a ghost town. i think we were the only people in our corridor in the hotel and they had the doors of every single room wide opened....that place gave me the creepers jeepers!

with kids, you might want to look for Lord of the Rings filimg locations...we didn't but that would have been fun!

I grew up in franz josef if you would like a contact for a helicopter flight then give me a yell my unlce mike runs heliservices there :)

Hi Sue78,

I changed my plan, I am going on the Arthurs Pass, Fox Glazier, Queenstown, Mt Cook and Christchurch route. Would like to visit Milford Sound but I think it will be too rush.

If I am going through Arthurs Pass but if I don't want to stay overnight in Greymouth, where will be the best place to stay. My friend told me Greymouth is not the most exciting place.

Will it be too rush to travel from Christchurch to Franz Joseph or Fox Glazier in one day? We are trying to stay an extra day in Queenstown. More time to look for an IP for BruceW.;)

Tropic,

Thats exactly what we did. We did it with a 4yrold and a 1yrold so we had to make a few stops. We got to Franz Josef just after dark (in a Torago too..)

Would help if you have more than one driver. Plus you then get to share some of the scenery. Quite a bit of the trip is wiggly windy roads through mountains so it can take a bit longer to drive than you might expect.

Once you get to the west coast there is a fair stretch of highway that lets you catch up. Also investigate the train maybe (but I reckon the drive is an adventure in itself!)

We also did the drive from Franz Josef to Queenstown in one day and yes, it's quite long. But with the length of your stay I reckon its good to push the envelope.

Bruce

Thanks again for the info.

Now I know I can drive to Franz Josef in one day. I think it will be best to leave the accomodation booking till the last minutes. We will pre book Queenstown accomodation though, the holiday home owner said she can move it one day forward if we arrive early.
I also saw a one day tour from Queenstown to Milford Sound, if we are not tired we'll give it a go.

Sue78, when you said you booked the hotel last minute on wotif, did you book from an internet cafe or hotel lobby? I never make a credit card payment on the net other than from my home and office PCs.
That road to the Remarkable just doesn't look save. Is it very quite? If you miss a bend you're gone.

BruceW, do you think Queenstown property will give you good capital gain? How is the yield over there?
What are you looking for? Just in case I see one that you like.;)

I went to NZ in April last year. Fell in love with the place :)

Warning: Franz Josef is HIGHLY expensive. Everything is overpriced here and i mean everything. Hotels are the cheapest thing there actually. I booked before leaving but really depends on season.
With that said, the glaciers are beautiful, but if you're on a budget then you'll only want a night or two here.
We took a helicopter up to the glacier and it was spectacular. Weather can be bad though, our helicopter was delayed by over 24 hours.

I havent read all this thread so unsure where you are heading, but we did north and south island in 2 weeks, hitting most of the tourist traps.
Skipped Queenstown for Wanaka as the scenery is just as good and its a (slightly) quieter place.

All in all my fave place was Kaikoura, then Wanaka.

Not sure if your hitting the north island, but if so, dont miss the big volcanoes in Tongariro National Park - my other half decided it would be wise to drive up one (or was it another mountain, i cant remember) in heavy fog, hundreds of metres off the ground, slippery road and inches from the edge.. needless to say i cant recommend that, but viewing the volcanoes from a safe distance is a MUST - most Aussies will never see mountains like these, they are just huge.

The great thing about NZ is that no matter where you go, you'll always see spectacular sights.. I could spend years travelling that country and never get bored.

Have fun!

That road to the Remarkable just doesn't look save. Is it very quite? If you miss a bend you're gone.

It's safe if you drive carefully, it can get hairy when you have to corner with a bus, best to just stop and wait for it in most cases. You only need chains if there's snow on the road and you don't have a 4wd. Best option is to get a 4wd hire car. We had a Subaru Legacy and it was fine in the snow.

The views are definately worth the effort though, check out the lookout at the top of the Shadow Basin Chairlift. Requires a short steep walk through deep snow, but it's absolutely magic!

I drove around the north and south islands for 2 weeks a couple of years ago. I would highly recommend hiring a car and driving around. Driving conditions are a little more difficult than here is Australia, but you adapt very quickly. Just be careful not to run off the road while taking in the spectacular scenery! I almost did a couple of times :D

Regards,
Ozi

Now we have booked for the accomodations and car, how to get a good deal on ski lesson for a family. Maybe only for 2 x 1/2 day ski gears and short lessons. We just for to try it nothing comprehensive but most of them are quite expensive!
Maybe we get as much fun going down hill sitting on a cardboard:D
You have to excuse us, we have never seen snow:eek: .

Either had I so I was very excited to see it on the top of the mountains and of course walking on it on the glacier :D

Just got back from NZ and Queenstown is just so pretty I felt in love.
The whole South Island has some many nice spots.
The views are just amazing.

I wonder if it's a good idea own an IP over there.
Bruce W, how are you going with your plan?

Not sure if your hitting the north island, but if so, dont miss the big volcanoes in Tongariro National Park - my other half decided it would be wise to drive up one (or was it another mountain, i cant remember) in heavy fog, hundreds of metres off the ground, slippery road and inches from the edge.. needless to say i cant recommend that, but viewing the volcanoes from a safe distance is a MUST - most Aussies will never see mountains like these, they are just huge.

That's where we went - absolutely wonderful if you like tramping. We did the Tongariro Crossing but missed doing the crater walk to the top of Mt Ruapehu due to weather. Snowing etc over Xmas-New Years! Would definately go back to do it though.
http://picasaweb.google.com/S1135817/NewZealandSnapshots/photo#5018224072813358578
http://picasaweb.google.com/S1135817/TongariroCrossingNewYearsDay2007
There are heaps of shorter walks as well that take in spectacular volcanic scenery. There is a very good Lord of the Rings tour that operates as well and takes you to all the places they filmed the climbing Mt Doom bits.

Also recommended is a trip to Paihia in the very north where it is acutally warm!

Just got back from NZ and Queenstown is just so pretty I felt in love.
The whole South Island has some many nice spots.
The views are just amazing.

I wonder if it's a good idea own an IP over there.
Bruce W, how are you going with your plan?

I did warn you!

To be honest I havent looked lately. My criteria are pretty strict. I'd want it to be on its own section (rather than in a development) walking distance to town. Easy short term let (so i can derive an income to some degree) and of course views...

This pretty much makes queenstown hill the search area (along with every other property savvy visitor to queenstown ;) )

Tropic,

Im glad you enjoyed it and its lovely to know that someone else has been effected in the same way by such a beautiful area..

Now you know that photos just dont do the place justice !

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I have to thank you for the route.
We travelled through Arthur's Pass, West Coast, Queenstown, Mt Cook and back to Christchurch. That was a good route to take.

I am planning to go back there for a fly fishing trip or two. I even already have an approval from my wife!

Wanaka also a very nice place and woudln't mind to own a property there.

To be honest, I didn't look into any property. I switched the TV channel every time they showed businnes/share market news. Wasn't in a mood to think about business or investment.

Hi Guys

At least we have plenty of water to feed the streams and rivers so that people can go fly fishing.

Regards

ps and we can wash our cars any time we want.

Back