Holiday Suggestions

Hi All,
Wanting to ask the forum for suggested holiday destinations.
Intending to have a 6 week break away next July (escaping the winter blues) to obviously a tropical destination.
My wife and I enjoy ocean based activities (diving, fishing, sailing) and bush walking. We enjoy other cultures and experimenting food wise.
Destinations we have enjoyed so far are : Fiji, Vanuatu, Malaysia (Sabah), Maldives, Hawaii, and a lot of SE Asia and of course Australia.
Any suggestions will be welcomed. Obscurity is not a worry.

Thanks
Harro.

Hiya

Does it have to be tropical? How about Europe in summer?

Montenegro is a beautiful country - lots of nature to explore, not swarmed with too many tourists yet (as far as I know - haven't been back for a while).

If you get bored of Montenegro you can pop up to Croatia and go island hopping - although it will be pretty crowded in summer I'd imagine.

Plenty of ocean based activities in the Adriatic Sea and the weather will be great.

Cheers

Jamie

Hiya

Does it have to be tropical? How about Europe in summer?

Montenegro is a beautiful country - lots of nature to explore, not swarmed with too many tourists yet (as far as I know - haven't been back for a while).

If you get bored of Montenegro you can pop up to Croatia and go island hopping - although it will be pretty crowded in summer I'd imagine.

Plenty of ocean based activities in the Adriatic Sea and the weather will be great.

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks Jamie.
Will investigate your suggestion. To be honest we had never factored in Europe across their summer. Just hoping it is not too busy.

Cheers.

Take a look at Japan.
They have some outstanding nature, with bush walking/hiking and general outdoor stuff. Mainly outside the major centers. There are some areas with great ocean activities there also - though I'm yet to discover theses myself. Others on the forum have far more knowledge of Japan - but I loved it and look forward to going back.

Places like south turkey have a lot to offer - though it can be busy. Also easy to access other medeteraian areas. (Greece, Spain etc)
Try looking at Egypt - no bush/Forrest but great diving.
Iceland has some excellent outdoor activities - though is a hike from oz, and about 10days is more than enough to get right around the island.
I did a 6 week trip visiting uk, Iceland, Greece, turkey and Egypt a few years ago and had a blast in each place. The good thing with Europe is that if you want to move you can and for a few hundred $ and a couple of hours you are in another country.

Closer to oz are the obvious choices of indo, Thailand, Vietnam etc.
look at derawan island in indo. We were there a couple of moths back. Nice diving but again a few days is enough.

Cheers blacky

Hi Harro,

You mentioned oz,how about canberra ha ha.

Sorry couldn't help it :D

Cheers Spades.

Ps.Escaping winter blues in Scotts head:confused:

Take a look at Japan.
They have some outstanding nature, with bush walking/hiking and general outdoor stuff. Mainly outside the major centers. There are some areas with great ocean activities there also - though I'm yet to discover theses myself. Others on the forum have far more knowledge of Japan - but I loved it and look forward to going back.

Places like south turkey have a lot to offer - though it can be busy. Also easy to access other medeteraian areas. (Greece, Spain etc)
Try looking at Egypt - no bush/Forrest but great diving.
Iceland has some excellent outdoor activities - though is a hike from oz, and about 10days is more than enough to get right around the island.
I did a 6 week trip visiting uk, Iceland, Greece, turkey and Egypt a few years ago and had a blast in each place. The good thing with Europe is that if you want to move you can and for a few hundred $ and a couple of hours you are in another country.

Closer to oz are the obvious choices of indo, Thailand, Vietnam etc.
look at derawan island in indo. We were there a couple of moths back. Nice diving but again a few days is enough.

Cheers blacky

Thanks Blacky.
Japan has been on our list for a while now. Europe across their summer period also is appealing. We have spent many months travelling throughout SE Asia. Cambodia being our highlight.

Cheers.

A cosy -5 at the moment :) About to walk to the office :eek:

Cheers

Jamie

Aren't you 5 steps away from your office eg:your office is in your house?

Only joking :D

Is it snowing lol?

On the upside the cooler weather keeps you young.

Cheers Spades.

Aren't you 5 steps away from your office eg:your office is in your house?

Only joking :D

Is it snowing lol?

On the upside the cooler weather keeps you young.

Cheers Spades.

haha - nope. Not working from home today - working from the office....which is less than 1km away down the road in Dickson so can't really complain :)

Cheers

Jamie

It snowed in north Canberra on Friday afternoon. I took the dog for a run this morning and it was -6. Perhaps I should have worn my gloves...

As for holidays, have you thought about flying to the east coast of the US then working you way down, through the Caribbean, into South America? Warm, fun, cheap once you're there, heaps to see and do.

It snowed in north Canberra on Friday afternoon. I took the dog for a run this morning and it was -6. Perhaps I should have worn my gloves...

As for holidays, have you thought about flying to the east coast of the US then working you way down, through the Caribbean, into South America? Warm, fun, cheap once you're there, heaps to see and do.

Thanks VYBerlinaV8.
The US is on our agenda for 2017. A trip with extended family, hopefully for longer than 6 weeks.

Have to ask , is your dog a Husky? -6 (that's cold).

How about Cardrona, Whakapapa, Mt Dobson or Mt Hutt in NZ? Nothing takes away the winter blues like a few weeks skiing.

Thanks Scott.
We did a 3 week motor home trip around the South Island in 2009. The scenery was spectacular. We were there in November and still found it cool.
Skiing whilst great fun, is not what we are seeking on our next trip. We tend to gravitate more to ocean based activities.

Thanks VYBerlinaV8.
The US is on our agenda for 2017. A trip with extended family, hopefully for longer than 6 weeks.

Have to ask , is your dog a Husky? -6 (that's cold).

You'll love it. We're going with extended family this Christmas for 5 weeks.

The dog is a half Jack Russell half mini fox terrier. It's tan and brown and loves children. The trouble is that if I leave it at home it howls, knowing I'm off having a walk or run without it. Fortunately it seems to have lost weight during the last few months since I've been exercising regularly again.

Fly to florida - tour around for 2 weeks, then cruise the caribbean for 2 weeks, then visit Cancun/Mexico for 2 weeks (taking in some Mayan highlights)......
Hmmm, thats my wishlist anyway lol. Cheers nat.

Fly to florida - tour around for 2 weeks, then cruise the caribbean for 2 weeks, then visit Cancun/Mexico for 2 weeks (taking in some Mayan highlights)......
Hmmm, thats my wishlist anyway lol. Cheers nat.

Thanks Nat.
Another suggestion with plenty of merit.

Ahh, that dreaded wish list!

Back