House design - who do I see?

Hello to the collective brain power that is the Somersoft Forum!!!

I have designed a unique house that I want to build one day. Who do I see for regulations, technical drawings. etc so that it can be owner built??? AND if you know, how much does the technical drawings cost (it's a small house)?

Thanks in advance for your help...:)

Last edited:
if you have your design find a good draftsperson :)
charges are any where from 25p/h to 45p/h

A good draftie will know what you need and can also advise on design issues or benifits

+1 for the draftsman.

They will be 1/10th the price of an architect and do just as good a job.
Get a draftsman from the area you intend to build as they will know what council require.
I had a house drawn up to concept stage which cost me about $400. To get working drawings done ready for council was going to be another $1500 or so I was told. This was from a draftsman.

i'm a draftie come display home / standard model designer.

prices above are about right - depending on detailing required.

and cheers for the recommendation stu! HandyAndy888 - PM replied.

Building designer

Agree, don't see an architect they charge the earth and come up with waky expensive to build designs.

If you talk to a drafty or building designer they will come up with practical easy to build plans, they can submit them to council and help out with tradies and such, generally they know a good amount of useful people.

Spend a bit extra on some really good windows and don't build box gutters (unless they are really wide and really really deep).

Cheers
quoll

Agree, don't see an architect they charge the earth and come up with waky expensive to build designs.

If you talk to a drafty or building designer they will come up with practical easy to build plans, they can submit them to council and help out with tradies and such, generally they know a good amount of useful people.

Spend a bit extra on some really good windows and don't build box gutters (unless they are really wide and really really deep).

Cheers
quoll

Thanks Quoll and everyone else...I really want to get this thing off the ground...

Q1. Can I use visiboard as cladding?
Q2. Is there a minimum volume a residential property must be?
Q3. What is the minimum roof pitch USUALLY?

Thanks all...:):):)

Q1. Can I use visiboard as cladding?
No idea, Sorry.

Q2. Is there a minimum volume a residential property must be?
Its usully set out in the council DCP or sometimes in covenants imposed by developers.

Your everyday project home roof is pitched at 22.5deg.
The higher pitched roof's are 27deg or even 30deg.

I'm sure in the snowy mountains they'd get even steeper.

Hi HA888

Minimum roof pitch is dependent upon roofing material and location. Sheet metal roofs can be as low as 1 degree, using Klip-Lok. Typical corrugated metal (known as Custom Orb) can go down to 5 degrees. Have a look at: http://www.bluescopesteel.com.au/go/building-products/roofing

Inherent wind and rain conditions will influence the decision. Here in Sydney/Newcastle I don't like to design roofs much lower than 10 degrees due to storms with heavy rain. Best bet would be to speak with a local roofing manufacturer/installer.

Hope this helps mate.

JJ

Ah, so clip lock is OK down to 1 degree..that sounds like what I need...

The "house" I am planning to build is 6m by 6m by 5metres high....I have labeled the project "The Cube". What I am wondering is will a house like this be allowed on a "block". I'd say no problems on a rural property, but what about in the city??? The idea is that it would be set at the back of the property and later on a "proper" house can be put at the front....:)

Ah, so clip lock is OK down to 1 degree..that sounds like what I need...

The "house" I am planning to build is 6m by 6m by 5metres high....I have labeled the project "The Cube". What I am wondering is will a house like this be allowed on a "block". I'd say no problems on a rural property, but what about in the city??? The idea is that it would be set at the back of the property and later on a "proper" house can be put at the front....:)

Sounds very interesting, HA888.

First port of call would be discussing your idea with a Council Planner. I assume you could download your Council's development guidelines (called Development Control Plans DCP and Local Environment Plans LEP here). This will prescribe what is and isn't permissible on your site.

If this is all a little confusing, talk to a local architect or building designer who are familiar with your area, and in particular, dealing with your Council.

Klip-Lok is great. It is predominantly used for large commercial/industrial sheds, however, I recently specified it for a house in Newcastle and it looks pretty cool. Have used it as wall cladding in the past as well which looks great in the right location.

Hope that this helps you a little.

Cheers,

JJ

Sounds very interesting, HA888.

First port of call would be discussing your idea with a Council Planner. I assume you could download your Council's development guidelines (called Development Control Plans DCP and Local Environment Plans LEP here). This will prescribe what is and isn't permissible on your site.

If this is all a little confusing, talk to a local architect or building designer who are familiar with your area, and in particular, dealing with your Council.

Klip-Lok is great. It is predominantly used for large commercial/industrial sheds, however, I recently specified it for a house in Newcastle and it looks pretty cool. Have used it as wall cladding in the past as well which looks great in the right location.

Hope that this helps you a little.

Cheers,

JJ

Thanks for the positive input...I am searching for the development guidelines...:):):)

your hight may be an issue depending on how close to each boundary you are.
you will find that you DCP will have a building envelope which you can not build out side of. so tech. speaking you down own all the space above your land :)

If you want a house 5m high there are also different setbacks requirements - although a 6x6 block i know exactly what you are trying to do.

i have a 3x1 in a 7.2mx7.2m framed block - real compact and innovative design utilising roof space. have you been reading the "beach houses" book?

If you want a house 5m high there are also different setbacks requirements - although a 6x6 block i know exactly what you are trying to do.

i have a 3x1 in a 7.2mx7.2m framed block - real compact and innovative design utilising roof space. have you been reading the "beach houses" book?

No, but maybe I should...is it a good read?

Yes, it is a compact studio/1 bedroom place, but I've tried to create it so that it would be cheap to build and make use of the space, kind of like what IKEA try to do...

If you're interested I can email you a rough design I made with Google Sketch-up. You'd have to download the program and then open the file...:)

Back