House not rented yet - 5 weeks with no tenant!

Absolutely terrible job from your pm. The only photo is one advertising their services. Agreed get photos of the property up there and grill your agent why they havent done so already. What the heck are you paying your agent a managing fee for if they cant even get that right. Imagine if you had a bad tenant ? What are they going to do ?

Oh dear...what an idiot. You should fire them. Honestly speaking the ad could be for a murder-house and you would have no idea.

I agree with the others. When I see a property advertised with no or limited photos, it makes me immediately think there's something wrong with it and the REA is trying to hide it

I agree with the others. When I see a property advertised with no or limited photos, it makes me immediately think there's something wrong with it and the REA is trying to hide it

i think the same, unless it's for sale then i consider it might be rented and the tenants won't allow inside photos.

no photos = no hope of renting it.

Not having photos is pretty pathetic.

At the least they could drive past and take a photo from the front to show that it's a modern house, not a 60 year old shack. Or even Google Street View is better than nothing, and would be ok until they can get in and get better photos. But it's empty as you've said, so no excuse for no photos.

I'd ring and demand photos be uploaded by close of business today otherwise you'll give the management to someone else.

I'd also demand they change the ad to reflect the double garage!

I know when we were recently looking to move, we would search not only by price, but by bedrooms, bathrooms and garage spaces.

There were a few properties I found after which were advertised as no parking, when in fact they'd just forgotten to put that the property had a double garage, which meant they didn't show up at all.

The also should advise that the property is less than a year old, along with photos - If the property is vacant there is never an excuse to have no photographs.

Oh, and if you do consider to allow pets - ensure they advertise "Pet Friendly" in the header of the ad and there's another section on realestate.com that agents can tick specific features of the property, including "Pet Friendly" as tenants can also search this as a part of their criteria.

Do not even consider wasting more of your time in contacting your current agent and giving them the opportunity in fixing this mess. This is disgusting conduct!

Find another agent now and take the management from this useless agency. Then send a letter to the director advising them that their service is byond substandard. Given that the only photo they have used is of a sign of their agency leaning up against a wall and that they are too lazy to drive out to the property and take a few photos, what evidence do you have they wont be too lazy to manage the hard stuff or the day to day tasks.

They have already cost you 5 weeks rent. Tenants wont bother even inspecting your property without a photo, no wonder it hasnt leased, that is the main reason not the price.

Agents like this make me so angry, they give the rest of us who actually work a bad name!

What a cr*p ad :eek:

No photos, no mention of how new the house is, wrong number of garages..............

they are not interested in your house, they just want to list and collect, no professional polish at all.

Bye bye, new PM please ASAP

Well to update everyone, I've emailed them and advised them that if the advertisement is not changed by Monday to suit my standards, then I will change to a different agency and property manager.

Her excuse for not having photos was that the weather hadn't been fine. I replied with the fact that they've had the past 5-6 weeks now to get them. Surely not everyday has there been rain? Have also told her to reduce the rent by $10 a week so that I can hopefully find a tenant.

I will keep everyone updated. :)

i really think you need to be more proactive here. you are giving them far too much time to fix their stuffups. from the first time you brought it up with them on wednesday til your new deadline of monday is 10 days. that is far too long and with the new deadline being monday you will miss this weekend. i think you should give them til friday, if at all.

i would consider them to be incompetent at best and downright lazy at worst, either way they have not done themselves any favours.

also, i am personally shocked it took you 4 weeks to get on top of things here

I also would not be wasting the weekend. I would be getting another agent TODAY so they have time to get photos on for tonight to catch those people looking for inspect on Saturday (preferably at an "open house").

Kael,

I know this is sort of like comparing apples with oranges (well, they're both fruit aren't they) - our 1BR apartment in Prahran took about a month to rent out earlier in the year. Our 1BR apartment in North Melbourne might be getting it's first applicant in 3 months of vacancy.... hang in there.

The Y-man

Y-man.. i'm shocked that it took 1 month to tenant - was the tenant only wanting to move in after a few weeks rather than straight away?
And North Melbourne 3 months vacant?

Is this the effect of lower numbers of international students coming to Melbourne I wonder.

I think this is being reflected in various areas.

I have a house vacant in Montmorency, that I refurbished in a big way. I put it back on the market 5 weeks ago and although the PM has been advertising it well and had it open for inspection, there have only been 2families through. One did apply but did not pass the reference checks.

I have now dropped the rent, so we will see whether this helps.

I had one townhouse vacant in Cairns for 15 weeks and that was after dropping the rent by $70.

The market will recover, its just a matter of waiting. I have been through all this many times before.

Chris

That's strange to hear Y-Man, in Feb this year we rented out of Prahran house with no trouble. Advertised 3 weeks before old tenants moved out, had 2 inspections and 3 applicants and the new tenant moved in on same day old tenant moved out.

^^ might be a winter thing. I always see a lot of For Lease signs at this time of the year compared to any other.
As others have told me before, try to avoid having your IP vacated at this time.

i really think you need to be more proactive here. you are giving them far too much time to fix their stuffups. from the first time you brought it up with them on wednesday til your new deadline of monday is 10 days. that is far too long and with the new deadline being monday you will miss this weekend. i think you should give them til friday, if at all.

i would consider them to be incompetent at best and downright lazy at worst, either way they have not done themselves any favours.

also, i am personally shocked it took you 4 weeks to get on top of things here
While the 10 days is true, I'd still like to give them until then - and you're right about how it's taken me a while to get this fixed up. I've made quite a few mistakes with this rental property since it became vacant, and I accept that. It being my first IP, I've definitely learnt a lot of lessons from it, and won't let this happen next time or to another investment, when I go down that track.

Her excuse is she is waiting for the weather to be fine to take photos - I can definitely say, I'll be checking the weather daily for the Melton area.

Kael,

I know this is sort of like comparing apples with oranges (well, they're both fruit aren't they) - our 1BR apartment in Prahran took about a month to rent out earlier in the year. Our 1BR apartment in North Melbourne might be getting it's first applicant in 3 months of vacancy.... hang in there.

The Y-man
Thanks for your message Y-man - I understand that vacant periods is a part of owning an investment property. Just need to try and reduce it as much as possible ;) So much competition in the area at the moment aswell though - I just saw 3 new homes come on the rental market today for the same area! Definitely need to reduce my rent now.

Back