House prices may be flat but you can bet on rent rises

1) Increased FHOG fueling the market.
2) Record low interest rates

You must mean the "fundamentals of supply and demand". The same fundamentals that saw the peak in Jul/Aug 2010, and will now see prices fall moving forward.

You and I both know it's not as simple as A or B. There are several factors at play at once which are supporting the current prices. But bottom line is extra FHOG was ended 12 months ago. Record low interest rates are a history and there has been eight 0.25% increases. Yet, I can't seem to buy property in most capital cities at 60% of their 2009 values. Shall we just put an end to the argument about whether or not current prices are sustainable or not for the time being. What happens in 2011 is if unemployment rate and interest rates are not extremely high we should be able to sustain current values no problems.

Greece and Ireland were also smaller. But slowly it's dominoing to the bigger and bigger countries - Portugal and Spain. Even to the point where not only the ECB will try and keep these countries afloat, but now China is starting to signal that they will get involved to keep Portugal (maybe), by buying debt next year as bond markets target Portugal next.

China Is `Available' to Support Portugal Through Financial Crisis
Portugal May Get Frozen Out by Bond-Sale `Avalanche' in 2011

The world stockmarkets definitely doesnot share the same concerns that you do.

The US in entering a double dip. Your just to busy listening to all the BS news about how the US is on the way to recovery.

But those that are watching what is happening, know that 2011/2012 will see a lot of problems.
US GDP grew at 2.6% in the third quarter 2010 against a forecast 2.5%. 2011 forecast is it will grow at 2.7%. A lot of people have been watching since Sept. 2007 when Lehman brothers collapsed and have been advising people to stop investing as the world we know is about to end.

Anyway oracle, keep thinking that Australia is immune. I'm counting on it, along with all the other over extended sheep who will get crunched (my LVR now down to 27.9%). PPOR payed off, and positively geared on 2 investments.
Maybe Labor will give out more billions to the lemmings to stay in power.

I never said Australia is immune. No country is immune. We have boom and bust cycles because of the inherent nature of fear and greed among humans. As long as we cannot overcome our own fear and greed we will continue to have boom and bust cycles. It's just shame that whenever we have bust cycle a lot of people start thinking it's going to be the end of the world.

Bluestorm, I have been around for close to 4 years now on Somersoft. I hope you stick around for another 12-18months and we can see how close we get to your predictions. Especially the one about US entering double dip recession ;)

Cheers,
Oracle.

But bottom line is extra FHOG was ended 12 months ago. Record low interest rates are a history and there has been eight 0.25% increases. Yet, I can't seem to buy property in most capital cities at 60% of their 2009 values.

FHOG ended 6mths ago, coinciding with the peak of the market Jul/Aug 2010.
Have patience oracle. The property market does not react as quickly as the stock market.

US GDP grew at 2.6% in the third quarter 2010 against a forecast 2.5%. 2011 forecast is it will grow at 2.7%.

China grew at 9%. US has been printing money. We've raised this in other thread, that the increase in money supply and government spending and stimulus helps increase GDP. The US can't keep printing for ever. Their current printing will hit with a rise in inflation eventually.

The world stock markets definitely does not share the same concerns that you do.

We've all made money on the rally oracle. I've had some 100% gains (eg, CDU from $2.10 to $4.40).
But those who watch also know that the rally will not sustain past Q1/Q2 2011 (with a big correction in Sep/Oct). The equity markets (DOW) are also sustained by the Fed injection of money, and some "creative" accounting by companies to make the figures look better than they actually are.
A lot of money is also coming out of the bond market (and likely fueling some of the rally). Longer term, this could push up US interest rates and funding costs, creating a double dip in the US. And push up Australia interest rates, as funding costs increase, and the $AUD falls as safety flees to the $USD again.
Surge of money from bonds could stifle lending
"U.S. investors pulled $8.6 billion out of bond funds in the week ended Dec. 15, the largest withdrawal since October 2008 when financial markets were in free-fall."

What oracle, you really think the US is in good shape, and that is why the DOW is up, haha.

Bluestorm, I have been around for close to 4 years now on Somersoft. I hope you stick around for another 12-18months and we can see how close we get to your predictions. Especially the one about US entering double dip recession ;)

Oh, don't worry. I'll be around. It kind of feels like Peter Schiff on here being ridiculed by the property "experts". Fun :) But reading the signs on the world, 2011/2012 ain't going to be pretty.

Last edited:
This is where the investor's skill in selecting the right properties becomes a crucial factor.

But it's not that hard; good locations, decent houses with decent floorplans, decent condition are about all is needed.

I agree. It's time like this we will see, as Warren Buffet puts it, who is swimming naked. Or at least who is unlucky!

However, if this truly is a debt driven bubble which bursts then all bets are off.

Last edited:
I agree. It's time like this we will see, as Warren Buffet puts it, who is swimming naked. Or at least who is unlucky!

However, if this truly is a debt driven bubble which bursts then all bets are off.

Tehanu, I notice you have only a few posts so far, and when I see such a neg attitude from a newbie, I immediately think; TROLL.

Your message is starting to sound a bit like yet another example of Trolling.

I hope this is the case, because I love going to war with you guys.

But if not; then what I can say is that any investor, in any investment vehicle will do their nuts if they do little research and don't gain any knowledge about investing.

Too bad; life is not fair - read my sig.

So, what I'm saying is opposite to you; you say "don't invest; you'll get creamed'.

That's cr@p; a good investor will keep on investing through all climates - because they know what they are doing and can manage risk.

Don't come on here and keep bleating "the sky is falling" because plenty of others have been there and done it before you, and they are all gone. Some try to re-invent themselves with other names occasionally, but eventually they bugger off.

You're not Beebop are you? :rolleyes:

Tehanu, I notice you have only a few posts so far, and when I see such a neg attitude from a newbie, I immediately think; TROLL.

Your message is starting to sound a bit like yet another example of Trolling.

I hope this is the case, because I love going to war with you guys.

But if not; then what I can say is that any investor, in any investment vehicle will do their nuts if they do little research and don't gain any knowledge about investing.

Too bad; life is not fair - read my sig.

So, what I'm saying is opposite to you; you say "don't invest; you'll get creamed'.

That's cr@p; a good investor will keep on investing through all climates - because they know what they are doing and can manage risk.

Don't come on here and keep bleating "the sky is falling" because plenty of others have been there and done it before you, and they are all gone. Some try to re-invent themselves with other names occasionally, but eventually they bugger off.

You're not Beebop are you? :rolleyes:

If you want to think I am a troll then so be it. I think someone like you who personally attacks people without provocation rather than trying to attack their argument fits the definition of a troll better than anything else. Don't you agree?

If having opinions which do not necessarily fit in with everyone else, but argued civilly and without being insulting is trolling, well I plead guilty. But if you are someone who just wants to hear things which support what they personally think and anyone else who says otherwise regardless of how civil or polite they are is an enemy and deserves to be attacked and destroyed. Well I think that says a lot more about you than me.

I'm not saying I am definitely right. I could be wrong. But I have no intention of calling names just because they disagree with me. Unlike some other people around here. So I have no intention of 'doing battle' with you. If you want to fight, you are free to fight. I don't have to respond. If however you want to discuss things civilly I am all ears.

And no I am not Beebop.

As for your argument that it is always a good time to invest - I don't think that is true. It is not always true that you need to do something. Doing nothing is sometimes the best choice. The frantic need to do something can make middlemen happy because they pocket fees each time. It doesn't necessarily benefit the person with the capital. Do you know why Sun Tzu recommended against seiges? Because people are impatient in sieges. They take risks and make moves which are unwise because they feel they need to do well, something. Not making a move is sometimes the best move and sometimes the hardest. Of course everyone makes their own investment decisions. I'm just presenting my point of view.

Last edited:
It is why I prefer the types of properties Skater has chosen to invest. The costs of running those sorts of properties are lower and tenants are usually high in demand.

I agree. I aim to have properties (either through straight purchase or purchase then reno) that are simple but clean, comfortable and well maintained in great locations. There will always be demand for these types of property. Will my properties increase lots in value over the next few years? Maybe. But I've factored this into my long term plans, and can accept many years of zero growth on the way to a future where I have lots of equity and lots of rent.

As for your argument that it is always a good time to invest - I don't think that is true. It is not always true that you need to do something. Doing nothing is sometimes the best choice. The frantic need to do something can make middlemen happy because they pocket fees each time. It doesn't necessarily benefit the person with the capital. Do you know why Sun Tzu recommended against seiges? Because people are impatient in sieges. They take risks and make moves which are unwise because they feel they need to do well, something. Not making a move is sometimes the best move and sometimes the hardest. Of course everyone makes their own investment decisions. I'm just presenting my point of view.

A timely comment. For me, I'm planning only on buying another IP in the next year or two if I stumble across a seriously cheap bargain. Other than that, my plan is to let it all ride for a bit, do some light renos, slowly raise rents, gradually pay down debt. Of course, there are some who will continue to buy, and some will probably do well (because they are seeing things I'm not).

A timely comment. For me, I'm planning only on buying another IP in the next year or two if I stumble across a seriously cheap bargain. Other than that, my plan is to let it all ride for a bit, do some light renos, slowly raise rents, gradually pay down debt. Of course, there are some who will continue to buy, and some will probably do well (because they are seeing things I'm not).

I wish you well.

And I think your last line applies to me too. It is entirely possible other people are seeing things that I am not and it is possible they will end up correct not me. In fact sometimes I wonder - I did see the GFC coming and the Eurozone problems at the right time. I'm good with political predictions too. However if I had been interested in investing in the early 2000s would I have actually seen the global financial conditions that helped support an extended housing boom? I would like to think I would have, but I can't really be sure of that, especially since I will admit I missed the extent of the effect of global government intervention. My failure in that regard means now I am sure that you have to consider the political response in predictions as well as well as economic ones. The main difference I have with other people though is I think there are limitations to what governments can actually do. Still the question of whether I am too negatively focused has arisen in my mind. I can't be sure that I am not.

Well, all I can say is the future, good or bad, will play out as it will play out regardless of what arguments we have here about the general future of the Australian property market.

If you want to think I am a troll then so be it. I think someone like you who personally attacks people without provocation rather than trying to attack their argument fits the definition of a troll better than anything else. Don't you agree?

If having opinions which do not necessarily fit in with everyone else, but argued civilly and without being insulting is trolling, well I plead guilty. But if you are someone who just wants to hear things which support what they personally think and anyone else who says otherwise regardless of how civil or polite they are is an enemy and deserves to be attacked and destroyed. Well I think that says a lot more about you than me.

I'm not saying I am definitely right. I could be wrong. But I have no intention of calling names just because they disagree with me. Unlike some other people around here. So I have no intention of 'doing battle' with you. If you want to fight, you are free to fight. I don't have to respond. If however you want to discuss things civilly I am all ears.

And no I am not Beebop.

Didn't say you were a Troll; just asking the question that plenty of others here would be thinking, given your volume of posts so far.

Continue on then. Give us yer best.

But, my argument is this; rather than say "don't invest" - anyone can do that, and most people do....

How about coming up with a few strategies for investing during the not-so-good-times?

This is what the forum is for; discussing ways to get wealthy from property; not "do nothing".

Didn't say you were a Troll; just asking the question that plenty of others here would be thinking, given your volume of posts so far.

Continue on then. Give us yer best.

But, my argument is this; rather than say "don't invest" - anyone can do that, and most people do....

How about coming up with a few strategies for investing during the not-so-good-times?

This is what the forum is for; discussing ways to get wealthy from property; not "do nothing".

Actually I think that doing nothing is sometimes the hardest thing to do if there is a lot of pressure to do something. And yes I think buying a house to live in is investing.

As for my volume of posts, I just find the conversation here interesting that's all.

Personally I would say if you are investing in the long long term and really don't care about losses for quite a number of years, Brisbane and Perth will be the best. This is despite the fact they are having the worse price declines now. I actually agree in the long-term resource constraints will be massive. Also I believe, following what is happening in the EU and the US, government spending will be cut. That and they seem to have the least pension liabilities of all the states (see last bit below).

The main reason why I'm not buying property in Brisbane or Perth now is because why buy now, when I can buy cheaper later? The thing is think a lot of the commodity prices right now include too much of a china boom which is not permanent and also more importantly, massive speculation due to QE. If the Fed looks like it is going to be muzzled by the GOP, sell mining stocks. Also, even if Brisbane and Perth survive better, the seize up in the financial system from the other parts of Australia going down will still affect house prices in those areas. Also the risks and instability in the Qld banking system at least (BoQ and Suncorp) still haven't played out. I think Qld and WA will seem to be the worse performers in the short term then good in the medium term then crash seriously and then do the best in the long long term. I'm not desperate to buy and I can afford to wait.

Also there is the possibility I could be really wrong, and I might need to change my investment strategy quickly. Once you've committed it in housing, you've lost a lot of flexibility and it's not like I think the big boom will happen any time soon. For example may be I'm wrong and the big employment and growth will happen in Sydney.

I can only say what I would personally do if I had to buy right now. There are the usual things (buy within your means etc. etc.) However other things is I would buy the least risky house. That is the property with the largest available potential buyer's market - an established average house close to good transport links.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2010/1028/1224282135011.html

The subject of property values these days is a tricky one, to put it mildly. The truth is that none of us can value property now with any degree of confidence. Estate agents will admit (off the record and after a few drinks) that some properties are actually impossible to value because there just isn’t a market for them at the moment. Regardless of the asking price, they will not sell.

The adage that “everything has a price”, does not necessarily apply to property, as lending institutions are just not lending people money to buy property they consider to be in any way suspect. In other words, if you’re planning on buying pretty much anything other than a well-located three-bed semi, then your chances of getting a mortgage are slim to none.

Few have sufficient cash to buy a property outright, without some sort of loan, however small. Most require loan approval in order to facilitate their purchase and if their bank doesn’t approve of the proposed purchase, then they will not be lent any money to buy it.

If people are not lent money to buy certain properties, then these properties can’t sell. And if they can’t sell, then they have no value.

So, as you sit reading this property supplement at your breakfast table, you might guess that your home is now worth 50 per cent of its boom-time value, but think again.

If you are living in anything other than a well located three-bed semi-detached urban house near good transport links, your property may be considered suspect and be of no value whatsoever. How’s that for a cheery thought to start the day?

If those Irish banks are still giving out mortgages to an average 3-bed established house with good transport in Ireland right now, I imagine that sort of property has a decent chance of surviving the best in any downturn in Australia too. Yes, all that will do is minimise your losses during a downturn, but hey, preserving capital is very important.

I think the other advice would be to consider the neighbourhood the property is in. A lesson learnt from the US is that in a downturn, while you personally may have been prudent and wise your neighbours may not have been. And forced selling in your neighbourhood will drag down *your* property price as well. Are they serious, fiscally conservative people who bought at low leverage (or ages ago) and are unlikely to get into negative equity or lose their jobs? This is not about whether they are "rich" or not (they may just have a lot of credit card debt). It is about how likely they will be forced to sell or go into negative equity.

The actual economic treatment of this, as applied to an entire economy, is in Minsky's financial instability theory in which there are three types of borrowers: ponzi, speculators and the most conservation or hedge borrowers and in which in a debt driven downturn the other more risky borrowers can bring down the more prudent borrowers by causing the financial system to seize up.

Make sure you don't rely on credit too much. In any sort of downturn the banks will likely start shutting off credit. This may force you to sell.

If there is any downturn, it is likely there will be a dead cat bounce at some point. Even if you miss selling at the top you can sell at the dead cat bounce (if the market is slow cut by 10% below similar houses and make them think they are getting a bargain). And make sure to sell to someone who doesn't need to sell their own house first - a big problem in Brisbane.

A thing to remember about apartment blocks in a downturn is that if lots of other people start bailing out you may have to cover more of the common fees, eventually causing you enormous pain. This is a problem in the US with condos. Actually I think this is a variation of it doesn't necessarily matter how prudent you are, your neighbours can still bring you down.

The next bits may be a bit long shots as it will only happen in Australia reaches the same depths as Ireland but if you have an interest only loan, make sure that the bank can't force you to pony up extra cash if prices drop. Or (with X days written notification) force you to pay the principal as well. Also as people are learning in the US, with the debts of local and state governments and their reliant on property related taxes and/or sales taxes during the boom, what will happen in a serious downturn is services will be cut, local and state taxes raised and this can't have good effects on employment and property prices. Also in a downturn pension liabilites to public servants become more of a burden because investments go sour. Also don't forget the rapidly aging population. The questions are: how reliant on they are on property related taxes? How big are their pension/superannuation liabilities to the public servants? Have they invested the money wisely (e.g. not in commercial property). If things go sour how much extra money do they have to put in. Do they have reputation for corruption? How overpaid are the public servants?

For example here:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...liability-crisis/story-fn59niix-1225958841611

The state government share of the net liability is $82.6bn -- nearly double the $45bn it was in 2005.

Without any savings plan, the liabilities of the states are skyrocketing as many of them increase public servant numbers, pay and benefits.

Queensland is the only state that has no liability, whereas generous benefit schemes have been retained in other states and their liability is increasing. Most alarming is NSW, which has the biggest liability of $34.4bn -- almost three times the level five years ago.

The government had sold assets such as the state lottery to fund the liability, but it had still increased by 10 per cent on last year.

He said a Future Fund model, with dedicated budget allocations, was needed to arrest the alarming increase.

The policy paralysis of NSW is despite the state having benefited from rising mineral royalties, because most of this windfall has been blown on populist spending.

Yesterday, a spokesman for Treasurer Eric Roozendaal said an independent review, released earlier this year, confirmed the government was on track to fully fund its liabilities by 2020.

The spokesman said $510 million from the sale of NSW Lotteries was poured into its superannuation liabilities.

Victoria has the second-highest liability of $22.5bn, but its increase has been at a slower, although still disturbing rate of about 50 per cent since 2005.

Western Australia's former Liberal government reformed its public service scheme about a decade ago and its increase is less dramatic, up $2bn to $7.4bn over the past five years.

West Australian Premier Colin Barnett said last night superannuation entitlements of the vast majority of state government employees have been fully funded since 1998-99 through a decision of the Court Liberal government.

Well, I guess that rules out Sydney as a good safe investment decision. NSW fits the over categories too actually, e.g. corruption. Yes, definitely not Sydney.

The total NSW government revenue for 2008-9 was about $48 billion. Let's say the third of their revenue that comes from direct taxation goes down.

For example of how this can affect the government take this from 2008:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...-deficit-blowout/story-e6frg90f-1111118304707

The blowout in the super deficits at a state and corporate level is the direct result of plunging equity markets. Latest figures - calculated for The Weekend Australian by financial services research group Rainmaker - reveal the total value of Australia's superannuation pool fell $72billion between June 30 and November 30 to $1.1trillion.

There are warnings that the situation could be far worse, with a further $160billion-plus worth of unlisted investments held by funds expected to be devalued at the end of the month to reflect the economic crunch.

The collective deficit in state super funds will put pressure on state governments to consider new taxes to plug the holes in the retirement savings, according to Alex Dunnin at Rainmaker.

"Share markets diving 40 per cent in a year for the unfunded liability is like pouring petrol on a bushfire. It only makes their lack of a plan more problematic," Mr Dunnin said.

He said what caused the unfunded state government super unfunded liabilities was a naive hope that they would somehow go away.

"In Latvia it is illegal to mention the global financial crisis. In state treasuries, the same stupid rule almost seems to apply to unfunded super. The ballooning NSW unfunded liability just reflects what's wrong with NSW across the board," he said.

Of course the recovery have enabled them to paper things over again but if there is a big housing or other downturn, this problem will emerge again in a bigger way.

If things are still rosy in the future NSW may be OK. However if there is a serious downturn, NSW is at serious risk of having the downturn caused by housing further compounding the downturn.

Last edited:
Tehanu's cited a lot of Irish forums and newspapers, so I'm guessing that he or she (A Le Guin reference? ;)) has connections up there.

But, like Tehanu, I've heard exactly the same arguments why Australia won't suffer a property crash in the UK, Ireland, the US, etc.

As for rents, I'm not convinced that they can be cranked up by 10% per annum to make up for a lack of capital gains. Demand tends to be elastic, and many renters will reduce their consumption of housing if prices get too high. For example, moving back in with their parents, shares, sleeping on couches, etc.

Back