House settles soon..need advice

I have a deceased estate settling soon, I am the purchaser.

The benneficaries are from what I can tell, money hungry pigs who don't support the poor old mother in law who has loved in the property for 60 years.

The challenge I have is the elderly lady has only had two weeks notice to move from the property. They did not communicate with her and now she is struggling to cope with the move. I am unable to delay settlement as the beneficiaries won't approve (because it doesn't help them).

She has asked if she can rent the property back, which is no problem....except that there is no safety switches in the property and there are a number of areas where the house would not pass on safety as a landlord. I have spoken to reiq who have informed me that I need to comply by all legislation. Fair enough.

I would like to assist this lady, but can't delay settlement and can't rent it back to her.

Does anyone have any creative but legal ways around this?

The benneficaries are from what I can tell, money hungry pigs who don't support the poor old mother in law who has loved in the property for 60 years.

The challenge I have is the elderly lady has only had two weeks notice to move from the property. They did not communicate with her and now she is struggling to cope with the move. I am unable to delay settlement as the beneficiaries won't approve (because it doesn't help them).

She has asked if she can rent the property back, which is no problem....except that there is no safety switches in the property and there are a number of areas where the house would not pass on safety as a landlord. I have spoken to reiq who have informed me that I need to comply by all legislation. Fair enough.

I would like to assist this lady, but can't delay settlement and can't rent it back to her.

In Perth you cannot settle on a property without the vendor confirming that RCDs and smoke detectors are installed, im sure there is something similar in brisbane. You could ensure this is done prior to settlement and then rent it back to her, if the beneficiaries are in such a rush to get their money they will put the RCDs in.

What was your plan for after purchase - were you going to live in it or rent it out?
With either option presumably you would need to make it to code unless it was a 3rd option of demolition.
As Sanj says in Perth a house must have RCD and smoke alarms to be sold
So your house might comply and you can rent it to her for awhile

What was your plan for after purchase - were you going to live in it or rent it out?
With either option presumably you would need to make it to code unless it was a 3rd option of demolition.
As Sanj says in Perth a house must have RCD and smoke alarms to be sold
So your house might comply and you can rent it to her for awhile

I will be moving in and the property renovated.

They ticked on the contract that the property had a safety switch, although it doesn't. My solicitor has sent them a letter asking them to rectify this. They sent a letter back basically saying NO. My position is I'm told that I can get it fitted post settlement at my cost then try to charge them. Which I basically won't get paid for. There is also other rubbish at the property that essentially won't be removed as she is to old and the kids (in there 60's I'm told) are assh*les.

It's funny that these basic things are law, but it's such a low dollar value that it ends up costing more to chase them and cheaper to just deal with it.

Back