How best to donate?

I will donate to the current disaster appeal but I have no idea how to get the biggest bang for the buck.

Red Cross did not come out of the Timor affair too well and as an athiest I am concerned that church based charities can attach strings. CARE seems bureaucratic, so what to do?

Thommo

ps. I'm thinking of the locals who have lost absolutely everything and who may be forgotten after the fore-shores have been fixed.

BT

pps. Ignore the "athiest" bit. Concentrate on the aid, not the religious comment.

Thommo

I just went straight through to the World Vision website and donated through the nominated channel.

World Vision have lost some of their own personnel to the wave and I felt deeply that they are in the area and will be doing all they can to help the people most affected.

It's true, it could be us. I can't imagine what people will be feeling and how they will be coping. At least 12,000 dead, this is just beyond comprehension.

Kristine

Hiya,

Well done on volunteering to financially help out Thommo, such a good cause.

Kristine, sadly, the tally is over double that now :(

Just shows how grateful we should be for what we have.

I was wondering the same thing Thommo.

The last time there was a disaster in India I donated through Care Australia. Intrepid Travel matched donations (that time) dollar for dollar, so to me, that added some legitimacy.

World Vision have a huge flashy office right near my home. I called them once about it. They told me it was cheaper to own that building than to rent their current building (this was some years ago now). Perhaps true, but I have since stopped donating through them.

Who knows. I always think, even if only some of the money "gets there", some is better than nothing.

Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) have people on the ground in most of the worst affected areas - they are very strongly non-political and their main aim is medical and sanitation aid.

From their website:
Malaria and dengue fever are anticipated to be serious problems. The desalination of water supplies will have to be a priority because salt water is contaminating fresh water supplies. Plans to provide psychological support for survivors.

"There will, of course, be wounded and sick people. Any functioning hospital will likely be inundated with people looking for treatment. We shall have to pick up contact with local authorities and assist the local hospitals. If we have more teams available, then the teams will be able to go out to the more remote health structures and supply them. From there, we will head further and look for areas where displaced people are gathering and then try and supply drinkable water to them."

You can donate over the web using a credit card.

Hi Sim,

thanks for the link to MSF. I have just donated $400.00. I only hope it will be of some benefit!!

Regards,
Helen :)

It's great to hear some people on this forum are donating as EVERY dollar helps. I also made a donation today to the international Red Cross/Crescent at http://www.ifrc.org and i urge others to do the same (to whoever you think can help best).

You may also transfer your donations to:

Siam Commercial Bank
Thai Red Cross Society Branch
current account
acc no. 045-2-88000-6
acc name: Thai Red Cross Society for helping Southern provinces

Once you have transferred your money, just fax your details and confirmation to 02-2527976, if you wish a receipt.

I'm going to the Land Of Smiles in a few weeks and i reckon Thailand will need every Baht they can get. The last thing the Thais need right now is a mass and sudden pull out of tourism like in Bali. Unfortunately, many holidaymakers are screaming to get back home as soon as possible. In one way i can understand it if they've lost everything. But people who are already there travelling and were not directly affected (and those who were intending to come to Thailand soon), would do well to support Thailand by their continued prescence. Of the areas not affected, your visit will mean continued income for people who might otherwise have their livelihood trashed 'indirectly' by the disaster.

The wall of water has now killed more than 37,000 people and estimates are the toll will exceed 75,000. This disaster couldn't have happened to a worse part of the world.

It was the biggest in 40 years, made the earth wobble on it's axis and took 17 hours to reach New Zealand, more than 8,000 kilometers away. It also raised sea levels in Western Australia and then sneaked around the south of Australia and onto New Zealand where sea levels on the South island of NZ rose between 10 - 30 cm.

Have a look at this thread which has some pictures of the devastation in Phuket.

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS!!​
As well as considering the best organisation, it is very important that you consider the best TIME to donate.

Right now, the world's attention is focused on this terrible tragedy. On the BBC at the moment, it dominates almost the entire news.

In a few weeks from now, it will have slipped into the background. Like 911, it is too large to ever disappear from our news; but, still, it cannot ever have the same attention in the future that it is getting now.

The millions of affected people know that now they have our attention, our sympathy and our assistance. But give it a month and these people will start to feel so terribly alone. In six months, they will feel almost forgotten, perhaps even abandoned - and that is when they will most need support.

If you are going to donate (and who, other than the cads, would not?) then give a small percentage now and a BIG percentage in a few weeks from now.

Just don't forget to do it, because the victims will never forget.

Love

Jane

Researcher,

That's a great idea, and I think it is definitely worth considering; after all once this settles down people will not be as inclined to give as much as it won't be fresh in their minds. So yes, I have donated once, but will take up your suggestion and do so again once it is out of the news.

Sim,

Thanks for the MSF link, I feel better about donating through organisations that (although well meaning) are not church based.

Cheers,

Jo

Please keep the donations coming... more than 70,000 dead [sad].

As Harpic mentioned, it's all tax deductable for those that need further encouragement.

Thommo said:
Red Cross did not come out of the Timor affair too well ...

Are you perhaps referring to the Bali affair when they where accused of not passing the donations on right away?

The full story on that is, they DID infact hold funds back, and with good reason.

A lot of the Aussies were burns victims and Red Cross held funds back for ongoing expenses (ie plastic surgery), making sure they had enough money to see the job through.

Once again the media were quick to put a negative slant on it.

I'm not endorsing the Red Cross but thought I'd mention it for what its worth.

Sultan of Swing said:
Are you perhaps referring to the Bali affair when they where accused of not passing the donations on right away?
Yes, I was referring to Bali. I was a little upset at the time and would now write the post differently.

I am aware that the Red Cross could (did) justify their actions but I think many Aus donors expected the money would be spent in Bali helping everyone. There must have been millions of Aussies holiday there over the years, and who like the locals.

It is not my intention to bag anybody. I was thinking aloud about how best to target funds in a personally satisfying way.

As has been mentioned above, CASH is the most pressing need. Later on communities may donate in kind. Such aid is slow to arrive but still important.

CNN has a poll which asks Americans if they intend to contribute to charities. Only 11% have already done so (not too bad) but 55% have no intention of doing so. (that is bad)

Thommo

Thommo said:
CNN has a poll which asks Americans if they intend to contribute to charities. Only 11% have already done so (not too bad) but 55% have no intention of doing so. (that is bad)
Thommo

Yes, that is bad. I'm not sure of the latest figures but as of yesterday (29/12) the USA had only pledged $A19.6m compared to our $A10m - which has now grown to $A35m.

This was taken from The Age:

Rich nations have been tight-fisted and too slow in offering help to devastated communities in southern Asia, Australian aid agencies said yesterday.

The United Nations says it will take "many billions of dollars" and many years for countries to recover from Sunday's earthquake and tsunamis.

Australia has already donated $10 million to the relief effort, with more help to come.

But many of the world's wealthiest countries have pledged less than $40 million between them so far. Britain has chipped in only $A1.7 million, barely topping the $1.5 million that Victoria pledged yesterday.

Canada has promised $A2.5 million, Germany and Spain $A1.77 million each and France $A177,000, while Japan has offered an emergency medical team to Sri Lanka and a damage assessment group to Indonesia. The United States has given $A19.6 million.

"Clearly the international community has not responded to the challenge yet," Oxfam Community Aid Abroad executive director Andrew Hewett said.

"Rich countries need to recognise the scale of this disaster and respond accordingly and respond quickly, and that means more money and more supplies are required."

Oxfam and aid groups have praised the Australian Government's lead in the relief effort.

"The US have given twice as much as Australia in dollar terms, but given their population is about 13 times our size, Australia has probably been the most generous, most responsive donor so far," Mr Hewett said.

The Australian Council for International Development said it was disappointed by how little foreign governments had given.

"The levels of international aid at the moment are . . . probably the minutiae of an adequate response," said Jack de Groot, who heads the Catholic aid agency Caritas Australia.

Australian appeal hotlines have been swamped with calls, raising nearly $3 million by last night.

"It's been really hectic. You put down the phone and it rings again . . . people are being very generous," Red Cross volunteer Jenny Patterson said.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said he was developing a second and "considerably larger" aid package, to be announced today. "It may be that we can help a little in Sri Lanka and India as well, but the real focus of our effort will be on Indonesia and Thailand," he said.

Labor foreign affairs spokesman Kevin Rudd said a larger donation was warranted.

"We are now looking at a war zone spread across two continents and 10 countries," he said.

I'm going to make a new year's resolution to think more carefully before I post in future.

As the scale of the tsunami disaster unfolds it is obvious that ALL relief organizations are needed and that they must all be funded. If one is less efficient than some others, so be it!

Thommo

Sim said:
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) have people on the ground in most of the worst affected areas - they are very strongly non-political and their main aim is medical and sanitation aid.

From their website:

You can donate over the web using a credit card.

Thanks for the link Sim.

My wife and I gave $100 today via secure Credit Card.

I dont remember asking much of many here but if, like us, you have been wishing to donate but concerned about how the money is used, may I suggest Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors without Boundaries).

From the website cut below, they Medecins Sans Frontieres using thier links to put those who can save lifes now and in the future with infrastructure on the ground right now.

Last updated 1.30pm Dec 30 2004

Medecins Sans Frontieres Begins Aid Operation In Aceh, Northern Sumatra

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) today began providing medical aid to people in Aceh, Indonesia – the first international organisation to start work in the area, devastated by last weekend’s earthquake. A team of eight MSF field volunteers, including three nurses and two doctors, arrived in Banda Aceh on Tuesday, 28 December and set up a clinic in a camp for displaced people.

“When we arrived in Banda Aceh we found the town half destroyed” says Sabine Rens, Head of Mission for MSF in Indonesia. “Three camps for displaced people have been set up in the town. As well as running a clinic, we are also providing medical support to one of the hospitals.”

The population of Aceh has received no international humanitarian aid at all since the disaster struck four days ago. “Aceh is undoubtedly one of the regions most severely affected by the earthquake,” says Jan Weuts, coordinator of Médecins Sans Frontières emergency response in Brussels. “The epicentre of the earthquake occurred less than 250 km away from the town of Banda Aceh, and a series of aftershocks hit less than 100 km away. It is extremely important that we get aid to affected people as quickly as possible, which means bringing in medical materials, drugs and supplies to improve water and sanitation.”

The Médecins Sans Frontières team carried with them six tonnes of medical material on board their plane to Banda Aceh. Another plane chartered by MSF left Ostend, Belgium on 29 December with 32 tonnes of medical and sanitation materials, heading for Medan in north Sumatra, close to Aceh. A third plane, provided by the Belgian government, will carry another 22 tonnes of equipment and supplies for improving water and sanitation.

As well as providing medical assistance, Médecins Sans Frontières staff will make an air assessment of the northeast part of Aceh, using a helicopter to survey the 400km stretch of land between Medan and Banda Aceh. More international staff arrived in Jakarta this morning and will travel to Aceh shortly.

In the meantime, four Australians are leaving today [Thursday 30 Dec] for Sri Lanka to join other MSF teams already in place, setting up medical and water sanitation facilities:

Dr Tonia Marquardt an emergency department doctor in Cairns Hospital, who most recently worked in Darfur, Sudan

Chris Daley a logistician from Yepoon, who most recently worked in Tanzania

Jodie Robb a Sydney nurse, trained in tropical nursing, recently in Afghanistan

Geoff Smith a Sydney logistican, recently in Afghanistan

New Zealander, Michael Bates a logistician from Auckland, recently in South Sudan, leaves on 31 December to join the team.

Soon to leave for Indonesia will be Dr Michael Janssens a GP from Brisbane, last mission in Indonesia and Kate Ferguson a water sanitation engineer from Melbourne, most recently in Nigeria.

Over 20 other Australian MSF field volunteers are on stand-by to go to disaster struck areas.

Médecins Sans Frontières is also working in other countries hit by the Indian Ocean tsunami. In India, an assessment team has arrived in Nagapattinam in Tamil Nadu, south of Chennai, worst hit by the disaster and authorisation has been given to assess needs in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Exploratory teams are en route or in place in Thailand, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Myanmar (Burma) and Somalia, in Africa.

An MSF chartered plane will shortly arrive in Colombo, Sri Lanka carrying 40 tonnes of supplies including water sanitation, medical and surgical material as well as three kits to set up hospitals to care for 30,000 people over three months. MSF teams are in place or en route to Sri Lanka and directing efforts at the Eastern side of the island including Batticaloa, where vulnerable fishing communities are located.

In addition to treating the injured and counselling the trauma victims, MSF’s biggest challenge is to provide clean drinking water and contain the disease and epidemics which inevitably result from a catastrophe of these proportions. The spread of waterborne diseases (eg cholera and diarrhoea), mosquito borne diseases (eg malaria and dengue fever) as well as respiratory infections threaten those who have survived the earthquake and floods. “Malaria and dengue fever will be major concerns in this current situation,” warns Philippe Couturier, chief executive of MSF Australia. “Treated water supplies will be a priority to prevent the spread of disease.”

Back