How can I tell if a property has a caveat on it?

HI there
sometimes an owner won't even know initially that a Caveat has been lodged - however once it has been registered on title - the owner will be advised - there is then a period of time in which the Caveator has to justify their Caveat - otherwise it is likely to lapse.
As Alex has highlighted - it just needs to be lodged - waiting to go on the title - that is why your solicitor or conveyancer should check search unregistred dealings when they are about to settle a purchase
thanks

Do caveats ever lapse, or are they there forever once introduced to a title. I understand if you want to try and remove one you have to contact the original developer/builder who put it on and get their permission to remove it. Do you know if this is true?

Hi there
Caveats will lapse if there is no court action which supports it.
For example, I saw Caveats lodged on a property in support of a bankruptcy application. The Caveator had approximately one month to get into court and justify the Caveat or it could lapse and the owner of the property could insist it be removed.
IF the Caveat is in support of the incoming purchaser, it will lapse when the transfer is registered.
It really does depend upon the situation - but once the owner is notified they have been lodged, the owner can insist on the removal unless the party gets to court to justify the caveat.
As for the original developer/builder - not quite sure what you mean - if they have put a Caveat on in support of their Development Application - it will lapse once the plan for subdivision is lodged.
thanks

The original builder of a subdivision put a caveat on (probably at least 20 years ago) that there could only be one residence per block and of course I would like to put another in the back yard. I believe you have to get all neighbours which ajoin the block, and over the road because it is on a side street, to agree to lift the caveat. Do you know if this is so, or do they lapse with time.

HI there
I think it is not a caveat but a covenant - i.e. a promise that certain buildings only will be built in the area.
These do not lapse with time - you will have to approach all the people who benefit from the covenant - to see whether they are prepared to have it lifted. Many would have bought properties knowing that covenant existed - and knowing that a denser form of building would not be possible.
thanks

Back