How Close are you to being able to Throw in the Job?!!

I'm not good with polls etc, so this is a very simple thread!

If you are anything like me you will have worked out how close you are to being able to throw in the job and live off your investments. Many on here will already have thrown in the job which is great, and I'd love to read your stories as well.

I'm not wanting people to publish their numbers, $ or amount of properties held or anything like that. Generic answers and illustrations will suffice! I find reading other people's investment stories interesting and inspiring and it motivates me to continue on my own journey towards financial independence!

In my case, if I were to contemplate this, right now I would have a number of options:

1) Keep the existing IP portfolio and set the loans to gradually pay down the debt - working part time in the interim. Buy an IP which supports itself in a SMSF and sell this down upon retirement, or use the income to supplement existing investments. This would be a longer term strategy.

I could go part time today if wanting to implement this, but the strategy above would be 20 yrs or so. This would see all debt retired and a fairly substantial income stream in retirement. I would think I'd be able to scale down to minimal work (2 days per week) after 7 yrs or so. (Approx).

2) Keep the existing IP portfolio, buy a com prop, work part time and sell down one or two in the future to retire investment debt - working part time in the interim. Also would be able to buy an IP in a SMSF and either sell this on retirement, or use the income to supplement existing investment income.

Similar time frame to the above, although I could go part time immediately after purchasing the com property, scaling down work to minimal hrs after 7 yrs or so.

3) Sell all resi IP's, retire investment debt and pay dues (CGT, selling costs etc etc) invest the difference in higher yielding investments such as shares or com property or a combination of both. Have enough income from the investments to be able to chuck in the job, but would need to be certain/confident that the underlying investments would continue to provide income that grows with inflation over many, many yrs.

If followed this strategy, I could throw in the job immediately as the income generated would be more than my current full time salary, and my expenses are less than this. I would need to be confident that the income generated from the investments would rise above inflation over the long term.

4) Sell some IP's, making the rest of the portfolio +ve, pay down remaining debt gradually while working part time.

Could go part time immediately after selling (or even before). Would probably take 7 yrs or so (approx) to retire the remaining debt on the portfolio.

Obviously stage of life is a significant factor to consider. For myself, I'd be wary of throwing in the towel too early on and running out of money at a later stage in life!

LOE (Live off equity) doesn't sit well with me, (although it may with others) so my strategy is basically a LOR (Live off rent) or LOD (Live off dividends)

Over to you!

Regards Jason.

Last edited:
I read your post, but you didnt answer your question. I'm very far i'd say. Perhaps 15+ years

Thanks Edmond. Yes, you are right, I didn't answer my own question. I've amended my initial post which gives a rough answer to this according to the strategy that I choose to follow. (Still deciding on this).

Regards Jason.

Able to throw in the business yesterday and live a VERY comfortable life (no having to reuse toilet paper!) off my investments. My business and shares have made me financially wealthy, not property. I barely do any work as it is, so it wouldn't be much different, but I would be down a couple of hundred thou a year.

What's the obsession with 'retiring'?

I guess I could if I sold my PPOR and put the $ in term dep and or high yielding share and then maintained my slightly neg geared ip's. Problem is I like my own house and I don't mind my job.

It depends on how aggressive or conservative I want to be! One minute I want to be aggressive the next more conservative with my investing lol. Perhaps I can find a happy medium!

I was planning on retiring in 27 years time when I'm 67 but now I'm thinking I'm better off being a bit more aggressive (especially early on) and aim to retire at 55 and that way if I dont quite achieve the goal by age 55 then it wont take too much longer! I need to live through 2 property cycles to get there so it might take 20 years to achieve. I'll be happy to live off the rent of 5 fully paid off IPS and live in my debt free ppor.

I'm currently working on a ten year plan.

2012-2015

Working approx 4 days a week, wife at home looking after kids
Pay off remaining PPOR debt
Expand resi property portfolio (to get to 2-3 million in equity, cash flow neutral or +)
Expand direct share portfolio to 500-750k (cash flow neutral secured against resi ip)

2015-2020

Pay down loans for shares
Resi ip and share yields grow with inflation
Possible commercial ip for additional cash flow
Work approx 3-4 days a week, wife possible work part time

2021-2022

Live exclusively off passive income (trial period)
Work 2-3 days a week (and 100% income goes into buffers/additional investments)

Regards,

Jason

My business and shares have made me financially wealthy, not property. I barely do any work as it is, so it wouldn't be much different

Completely understandable when it is YOUR business, YOU are calling the shots, YOU do bugger all work and YOU get paid oodles to do bugger all.

Hopefully you're not that blinkered that you can't see a lot of folk out their working in someone else's business, they do exactly as they are told, sometimes their boss is an absolutely raving lunatic, they do mountains of work with bucket loads of integrity and get paid bugger all.

From your comfy chair, I can see why you'd ask this silly question.

What's the obsession with 'retiring'?

Hopefully, you aren't that silly that you can't answer your own question....

i enjoy my job, and I'm happy with my salary.. it allows me to live comfortably, to invest, to be generous, to travel etc.
I struggled to do any of those when I had my own business.
I have no plans to retire.... maybe part time work would be good in a few years.

We're not going to sell properties. And if I'm going to stop working it will be when the net passive income from the portfolio exceeds my current salary. With a bit of a buffer to allow for the choice of sending three kids to private school, for example (a $500k proposition around here these days... then there's Uni!).

And it will probably be after we've done some extension / detonate and rebuild work on our PPOR. It's getting a bit cramped...

Dunno when we will be able to achieve all this. If certain tenants take up certain options and the market rent reviews go well it could be reasonably soon as this would allow us to harvest equity and go shopping for some more +ve property. The extra income will then help with paying down debt faster on top of my salary for as long as we have it.

If they don't take up those options and we can't re-lease the place then I'll just keep working for the next couple of decades! :eek:

Having said all that, I haven't worked for four months now and we certainly haven't gone backwards financially so I'm probably being conservative.

I'm guessing at least five years before everything will be bolted down enough within our comfort zone... and we have the financial options we want. If I leave paid employment for any real length of time I need to be very sure I won't have to go back again, or it would probably be at less than half the salary!

The only snag with all this is the kids will have grown up a fair bit by then and being with them full time at this age is just soooo much better than being in full time work, for everyone involved.

Part time isn't a real option either as we will need the salary to show the Banks when we go shopping! Decisions, decisions... but I'm pretty sure our need for financial security will win at the end of the day - and I'll keep working for longer! Sure is nice to have the option though - particularly when the brown stuff hits the rotating ventilator...

Yep if it's your own business and it is doing well then no need to 'retire' . For those working for the man I can totally understand the obsession with getting out. Crappy pay, long hours, no autonomy, late hours with no appreciation, managers who dont know how to manage, working hard in the business but don't see the rewards, boss driving a Ferrari and getting in at 10 while they have to work back till 10 pm and might get a company mug as a bonus. Yeah I'd be all for that.

I may be close enough, but we live in very interesting times. Assets all around me (Europe and US) are dirt cheap, Australia dollar super strong against the euro and US$, and my industry and my JOB and my income and my bonus' are going gang busters here in Ireland. I am earning heaps of cash and I can buy assets cheap. This is a window of opportunity I want to take full advantage of. Once I get a few more high yielding assets under my belt..........I'll probably want to keep working and get some more..... I don't think anyone really retires from anything...

When the sale of the businesses is finalised, we could have a modest retirement if we wanted. But I'd like to get back into IT if it is at all possible. I consider myself too young to be put to pasture and I used to enjoy IT.

Any job where I could have weekends, days off, or even a day without the real possibility of phone calls 24/7 would be nice.

, boss driving a Ferrari and getting in at 10 while they have to work back till 10 pm and might get a company mug as a bonus. Yeah I'd be all for that.

hahah: )

Im sure they are out there.

thats seriously funny, but probably not for those employees where this is perceived reality.

ta
rolf

Considering we sold the second house 4 months ago and started a new line of work 6 months ago and so not only do we have no investment properties but are locked out of buying any more for about 1.5 years, I'm as far off retiring from property investment as it gets ;)

Now, my parents ... my mother had a 'moment' at work the other day (she has a stressful job), realised she has enough super and investments to live off very, very comfortably once she turns 60 and can access them, then realised her 60th birthday is a few days hence, and is now busy drafting letters of resignation and planning new and interesting hobbies. She stepped down to a 4 day working week about a year ago.

All their money is from spending the last 20 years putting wads of cash into shares and super. No property. They paid their house off in the '70s.

We're 5 years away from financial freedom and are on track to reach that goal at age 36. Been working on it for the past 6 years and earn $60,000p/a at present. By far the highest wage I've had.

2 years.

Could do it right now theoretically, but would like to build some buffer(as recently brought home to us with some empty IP's

The Y-man

We did a practice run first.
The year before I quit my job, we lived on what we had determined our monthly budget would be. It worked well for us.

We have more money available to us, but we use this for debt repayment, employees that work for us while we travel 8 months of the year, and for any additional IPs we decide to buy.

Back