How do I deal with my finance structure stuffup

My sorry tale is the result of not knowing better when I bought my first two investment properties. I paid off chunks off the principal as follows:

IP #1
Original loan: $216000
Paid down to: $210700
Reval to: $239000 (To purchase IP #3)

IP #2
Original loan: $224000
Paid down to: $171100
Reval to: $233600

So the affected funds = (239000-210700) + (233600-171100) = $90800

IP #3/PPoR
Loan: $319360

Now I am intending to rent out the other rooms of IP #3/PPoR for the immediate future. The bedroom I occupy is 10% of the liveable floor space.

So of the $90800 of the affected funds, and assuming I am in the 30% tax bracket, and at a average interest rate of 8%, am I correct in understanding that the loss of claimable funds is:

10% x 30% x 8% $90800 = $217.90

Obviously this is very less than ideal, as if I ever decided to stop renting out the other rooms I would be up for the full amount of:

30% x 8% x $90800 = $2179.20

Is this correct?

What can I do to unravel this? The only thing I can think of at this moment is to make IP#3 purely for investment purposes only, and not my PPoR. At this stage in life, this really is not ideal for me.

Are there any other possibilities that I'm unaware of? :(

Wow, messy.

It looks like you mean you borrowed more money when you say reval. And this money was used to purchase IP 3.

If you can claim 90% of the costs for IP 3 then you should be able to claim 90% of this loan too.

To unravel all this you need a bit of equity and a patient broker to go through it all in detail.

None of the loans are cross collateralised. All the loans are with ANZ.

I am also looking at buying IP#4.

Post-settlement of IP#3 in December 2011, I was left with some $45K in my bank account. At the moment I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure what to attribute the source of this money to.

In this case however I don't think it's critical - the place I'm looking at buying with 100% definitely always remain as a pure IP.

None of the loans are cross collateralised. All the loans are with ANZ.

I am also looking at buying IP#4.

Post-settlement of IP#3 in December 2011, I was left with some $45K in my bank account. At the moment I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure what to attribute the source of this money to.

In this case however I don't think it's critical - the place I'm looking at buying with 100% definitely always remain as a pure IP.

You can'it just borrow money and have it sitting in a savings account and have the loan deductible. Its a small amount and the interest is negligible, but it is still an issue. Best to set things up to avoid potential issues I think.

With tax stuff, a hunch isnt good enough : (

I believe it would be well worth ur while to sit down with an accountant and a broker an clean it up NOW.

By moving fwd without a proper assessment and fix, you arent adding to the issues you already have, you could be multiplying them

t
arolf

You are lucky they aren't cross collateralised. So at least you can start to repair the potential damage that will be caused.

I'll make an appointment to see my accountant for sure. I guess I'd like to get some warning as to how much I should brace myself. :p

I'll ask how to treat the $45K in offset as well. :(

Back