How do I tell the boundary?

This may seem a silly question for the experts BUT I am wondering how I tell on my survey where the boundary of the property is? I am looking to build a fence so want to ensure it is inside the boundary. It is from 1971 and has stuff on there I have no idea about??? :eek:

Any help greatly appreciated, could also PM a copy??

The plans are as good as useless. They don't always match up to what is actually there. You can't assume anything is in the right place.

You, as rugrat so helpfully pointed out, hire a surveyor and get them to peg the boundary.

Then you put your hands over your ears and go 'LALALALALA" when they tell you 20cm of your house is in your neighbour's yard and 20cm of the neighbour's yard on the other side is in your yard.

Worked for me :cool:

My entire block is 20cm out so they noted this on the form when we subdivided, since it is a bit impractical to ask all the people on our block to move their fences down 20cm.

Thanks everyone for your comments... Any ideas on how much this would then cost and furthermore, anyone know of anyone in Brisbane they have used, southern suburbs?

Thanks again!

Dos

Make sure you get a quote for pegging out your boundary, most surveyors can do this over the phone and fax quote when you choose which one you want.

Cheers
Sheryn

Good question, mate got 2 quotes both around $ 800.00 :eek: to do a boundry fence. I'm hoping thats an overkill as I have to get it done also on the southside.

If you get a price Doc let me know thanks will do the same.

Brian

Well I can get a full feature survey done by my surveyor for under 1k. That includes contours, location of services, boundaries and neighbouring house locations. He charged me $660 for pegging out for my site cut and then returning after the cut was done to peg out the crucial corners - around 7 pegs. :)

Yep that can be a *****, you can hope you get the place built before they think its funny to take the pegs.

I had all my under slab pipes filled with bedding sand and rocks once, I could have lived with it before the slab was poured :eek::mad: Now I glue caps on.

Brian

So what happens when some lil brat down the street thinks its funny to move (or remove) the pegs?

Hasn't happened to me yet - you need to be quick to avoid any of these mishaps. Same with the profiles. You need to remove the pegs to bore or dig the footings. You depend on the profiles to set up your external perimeter so any bumps can throw out the whole line of the house. :eek: It is a sensitive time but I guess the surveyor can be called back for a fee to correct the problem if it occurs.

never happened to us

if you live in an area where the pegs are likely to disappear, then i would suggest installing a second set yourselves, hammer them all the way home and then whak your nail into the top, and don't mark them with flouro paint.
That way they will never actually know the pegs are there!

Any ideas on how much this would then cost

Can't help for Brissy Dos, but we just went through this exercise requesting a boundary repeg and a full contour survey.

Just for a laugh, decided to get 20 quotes. Took exactly 90 minutes to shoot off the requests. It's amazing what a standard format email and a bunch of email addresses can do straight out of the yellow pages. This is one competitive industry !!

Timeframe for responses varied between 30 mins, and 3 weeks for a reply. most replied with a fixed quote within 3 days.

Quotes varied between $ 650 and $ 1700 for about 15 of them. One page, signed with a fixed price.

A few were in the low 2's, with one flash one all done up all pretty and professional.....the quote was $ 3,300 and they wouldn't negotiate cos they were the best apparently. Five times the price, but you know, what's a little profit between friends right.

One outlier came in at $ 4,150 and 3 weeks late, one week after the survey was already completed. They didn't get the job.....but I had an amusing chat with their Ops Manager responsible for quoting.

It was the best 90 minute process I'd spent in ages in being able to efficiently and honestly being able to sort the wheat from the chaff.....without all of their fluff and gumpf. Give it a crack, you might enjoy the process to.

Just saw this thread, and if you have not had the survey done yet, give Peter Leite a call. He can quote you on the phone.

Leite Surveys
(07) 3856 4017
Alderley QLD 4051

We have used Peter on numerous occasions, and back when we first got quotes, he was cheaper than any other quote, and came highly recommended by an architect friend whose firm used him for all their work.

He is a very nice chap too :).

Back