How do you calculate profit when you make a sell

what are the things you consider when you check if the sell has made you a profit or loss?
e.g. (PPOR sell after 2 years, following are hypothetical figures if they dont make sense pls ignore)
Property cost - 290k
other costs - 10k
purchase cost - 300k

sell - 420k
agent fees - 10k
other sell expn. - 10k
in pocket 400k

(A) difference 400k-300k = 100k

other expenses during 2 years
mortgage - 35k x 2years = 70k
strata, council, etc - 5k x 2years = 10k
renovations = 10k
total = 70+10+10 = 90k

purchase costs + other expenses in 2 years 300k+90k = 390k

(B) difference 400k-390k = 10k

If you are renting during those 2 years instead of leaving in the ppor
saved on rent 10k x 2 years = 20k
(C) difference 400k-390k+20k = 30k

What is the profit amount you consider? A,B or C? or something else?

If its your PPOR, then you also need to remove the rental cost over the same period of ownership. You may have paid $70k in mortgage but to rent would have cost, say, $50k. So your net cost of owning is $20k not $70k.

Imo I'll pick C. To calculate Roi, I'll base my return on the capital I put in (i.e. not borrowed money). This is for my own workings only.

Profit for CGT purposes is a whole different story.

Also, what would you rent for $10K pa?
1 single room?
A Property with that $ value would have costed you at least $350/w or $18K to rent per year

Depends if you want accounting profit or economic profit.

Accounting:

Profit = Sale Price - All On paper costs (buying, owning, selling)

E.g.,
$50 Profit = $100 Sale Price - $50 Costs

Economic:

Overall Profit = (Sale Price - All On paper costs) - (profit/cost of next best thing)

$25 = ($100 Sale Price - $50 Costs) - ($25 opportunity cost from having a PPOR instead of renting and having an investment property to sell instead of your PPOR)

=

$25 = $50 - $25

As an investor, economic profit is where your mind should always be focused. I would be doing an economic profit analysis before I buy, and through-out the holding period of an asset. Accounting profit analysis typically is most useful post-hoc and for the tax man.

Back