How does it work?

Hi,

Im after some basic guidelines for when tenants make requests. I have a property manager who has told me my tenants have asked about a bunch of stuff to be done, however when they signed the lease there was no mention of anything. So how does it work? Am I obligated to add things such as locks on windows when their werent any when I was living their or do they have the right to make such requests?

Appeciate any help on this one?

Can almost guarantee that the window lock request came after they rang around for contents insurance. Some insurance companies won't insure you for contents if the property does not have window locks.

You aren't obligated however, all tenants might have the same issue with the window locks re insurance. What are the other requests?

Last edited:
We don't have window locks on our windows, and have never had a problem with insurance. We no doubt pay extra but no way am I going to go around and lock and unlock the windows every time I leave the house.

If it is locks, as opposed to actually being able to properly close the window, then I would not bother.

It would be good to see what else is on the list.

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Other requests are: windows won't open as some were painted shut, front door can't be deadlocked and back can only be locked from the inside. Also, mentioned there is no ariel connection for television reception, internet or telephone connection; which weren't a problem whilst we were living their.

Am I obligated to add things such as locks on windows when their werent any when I was living their or do they have the right to make such requests?

If the property is in your home state of Vic, then I'm afraid that you do have an obligation on that one;

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/rta1997207/s70.html

Residential Tenancies Act 1997 - SECT 70 said:
(1) A landlord must provide locks to secure all external doors and windows of the rented premises.

Other requests, though, are likely to be at your discretion. When in doubt, check the Act.

In Vic

There is no obligation for TV aerial or point for internet connection but I believe there is for a phone point. Of course with ADSL, it is one and the same.

You can say to the tenant they can put an aerial in, but will need to take when they leave. Dealocking front door is the same issue as the windows.

If the windows are painted shut, not much you can do, unless you want to rectify. Up to you.

Of course, you can say to them, I will do all that you have mentioned and we will increase the rent by 'x' amount. Even if they have an existing lease, agree on new rent, and keep the end date of the original lease the same.

Thanks for that. A few of these windows have been painted shut, how would I find somone who can open these so locks can be put on?

Thanks

What sort of windows? How handy/time do you have?

Alternatively, your PM can arrange one of their general maintenance guys to have a look and quote you.

Tenants that ask for things like these are bad tenants.

Do ONLY what you need to do. Get rid of them at the end of the lease (even if you never hear a peep from them after you've fulfilled their requests). You can be guaranteed you will hear complaints from them if they find someone else to complain about.

As a tenant and property owner, the only things I've made a fuss about as a tenant when moving in was the details on the condition report. Just pointed out things that were damaged so I wouldnt be hit up for costs later. I didnt actually request that they be fixed.

Really???? :confused:
See I thought 'bad' tenants were those who didn't pay rent and completely trashed the place. :rolleyes:

Tenants who ask for things are fine in my book - so long as they don't mind hearing the word 'no'. If they get narky when told get a bit narky or persist in harrashing you after you say 'no', then they are certainly annoying and I would probably be looking at moving on. But I still wouldn't class them as 'bad' tenants, just not ideal ones. ;)

I hardly consider wanting to open the window or plug in a TV aerial or telephone as a bad tenant. Most of the requests mentioned I feel would be beneficial to do as they are things not only this tenant would want but the majority of tenants(such as being able to open the windows, TV and Telephone connections, deadlockable front door) so would make it easier to find tenants in the future

There is a degree of communication/requests that I believe are worthwhile especially if you have an older property. An issue picked up early may well be cheaper and less instrusive to address if left for months or even years on end.

Because only bad tenants open windows, watch TV and use telephones?

Tbh even if you are not required by the letter of the law to do all those things they are the kind of simple things that tenants take for granted that they will be there in a property so it is no surprise they are asking for them.

Regarding the window locks as a landlord you are required to supply a property that is 'reasonably secure' for insurance to cover you they require you to keep your premises 'reasonably secure'. So if there insurance is refusing coverage without window locks then they may argue it is a requirement, but then if it is simply a matter of insurance covering them but costing more without the locks then it becomes a business decision.

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Other requests are: windows won't open as some were painted shut, front door can't be deadlocked and back can only be locked from the inside. Also, mentioned there is no ariel connection for television reception, internet or telephone connection; which weren't a problem whilst we were living their.

Well seeing these were not a problem for Goldigger while they were living there and its a "problem" for the tenants I'd say they are problem tenants.

Granted I don't have the full story, but from what Goldigger has said, it seems more like the issue

1. The tenants dont want to use rabbit ears as an aerial or the tenants want to put a TV in a location where there isnt an aerial.

Solution - Buy an antenna. If it worked for Goldigger it can work for them

2. Internet or telephone connection - I doubt there isn't one available, i think its more the case there isn't where the tenants want one. Again, not the landlord's problem. There are always work arounds.

For example, put the modem next to the telephone socket and then buy a Ethernet over power adaptor so that you can have internet next to the PC or simply put a cable to where you want.

With the deadlocks, the place I rent doesnt have a deadlock. However its a "secure" apartment. If I want a deadlock I can put one in at my own cost. However this should have been evident at time of inspection and something the tenants should have asked for when lodging in their application. The same deal applies for window locks.

I dont even have flyscreens on my windows, but thats just the way it is. I noticed these things when i checked out property, I applied for the property knowing these weren't there.

So yes, I do think these requests are unreasonable. If they were such an issue to begin with, then the tenant shouldnt have rented it out.

For my own IP, the tenants asked UPFRONT if I could put in a garden shed so they could have somewhere to store the lawnmower, this was mentioned at time of application, not after they signed the lease, so I accepted this and im currently in the process of putting one in.

Obviously is there is no phone socket in the property at all then one needs to put in, the landlord should cover the $200 cost Telstra will charge for setting one up.

As for the window locks, im sure the windows have locks on them, just not deadlocks. However if the windows cannot be locked in anyway, then yes the landlord should have them put in.

However I am yet to see a property that doesnt have some form of lock mechanism, even ones from the 1930's have them.

neK

Have you actually lived in more than 1 house ?

I have. Beign able to popent e4ha dman windows ins considered normal for me, don;t know aobut you.

The original poste has said that their is no pho / internet socket - why woudl you think he is also lying as well as his tenants ?

Not all houses have window locks, I live in one wher eI had to put them in myslef, and in a rental I asked the landlord if she woudl consider putting them in as RAC would not give me contetns inusrance otherwise

Jesus, working doors / windows ./ electircity etc you'd think would be normal standard stuff

No wonder some tenants whinge aobut landlods being greedy, even when something is wrong some landlords blame the tenant

Yes, I've lived in more than one property, old and new ones.

From what Goldigger has said, the windows do open, however there are some that a painted shut. That said I agree that all the windows should open.

However, say there are 2 windows in one room, if one is painted shut, the other opens, then its good enough. If neither window opens, then the landlord should fix it so it opens.

The original poste has said that their is no pho / internet socket - why woudl you think he is also lying as well as his tenants ?
Like i said in my previous post, if there is NO phone socket, then the tenant should call up telstra and have one installed. The landlord should then cover the $200 cost telstra charge for sending out a technician.

However if there is one, but its not in the location they want it (which is how i interpretted the post - because I am making an assumption everyone would have a phone line especially when the OP has lived in that house in the past - however something the OP will need to clarify), then I dont see why the owner should pay to install a phone socket when there is one already working.

I too get angered when I see comments from are landlords who refuse to fix things that should be fixed, but at the same, I also get angry where tenants think they have an absolute right of way.

When stuff is broken I go out within the week and get it fixed. If its beyond my capabilities, I send in a tradie to fix it.

If something isnt broken, but the tenants want it fixed to suit them as opposed to making do then thats where I draw the line.

Yes, I've lived in more than one property, old and new ones.

From what Goldigger has said, the windows do open, however there are some that a painted shut. That said I agree that all the windows should open.
Which is the siutation
However, say there are 2 windows in one room, if one is painted shut, the other opens, then its good enough. If neither window opens, then the landlord should fix it so it opens.And since the owners hasn't suggested this is the case, what do you really honsetly think the likelyhood of there being more than 1 window per room is ?

Like i said in my previous post, if there is NO phone socket, then the tenant should call up telstra and have one installed. The landlord should then cover the $200 cost telstra charge for sending out a technician.
And again, as the owenr has siaid theere is no socket........
However if there is one, but its not in the location they want it (which is how i interpretted the post - because I am making an assumption everyone would have a phone line especially when the OP has lived in that house in the past - however something the OP will need to clarify), then I dont see why the owner should pay to install a phone socket when there is one already working.

I too get angered when I see comments from are landlords who refuse to fix things that should be fixed, but at the same, I also get angry where tenants think they have an absolute right of way.
Perhaps take a breath to determine who is wrong in a case before answering it for them ?
When stuff is broken I go out within the week and get it fixed. If its beyond my capabilities, I send in a tradie to fix it.

If something isnt broken, but the tenants want it fixed to suit them as opposed to making do then thats where I draw the line.

Nothing reqeusted by the tenant seems to be "to suit them" according to you they need to be fixed, what are you arguinig about ?

We've just had this request from new tenants too.

The're demanding a deadlock for the front door, as their insurance co. won't cover them without it.
Have threatened to take it to tribunal if we don't provide, saying that the property is not secure as their insurer won't cover them.

However, just called an insurance co. and they said they are one of the more strict companies regarding deadlocks.
They will provide insurance without a deadlock, provided no more than 100k contents.
I have no idea if they want more than 100k cover, but am sure other insurance companies will cover without a deadlock.

The problem is, if we go to tribunal, even when we win, we still lose in the end.

Any proposals on what to do?

Thanks

Back