How does one choose a town/city to invest in?

I understand some people look for the type property first then the location second but what if you wanted to locate a suitable town/city to purchase investments in. I was wondering what methods people choose.

Do they have guidlines.....
For example:

-Min 10k population
-Close to major cities
-CG prospects.
etc etc

Do people create templates of things to tick off when deciding if a town is suitable or not.

Or am I concentrating too much on location rather than just finding any old property that is a good buy regardless of location.

This is my strategy. I take a long term view, I'm not interested in finding 'hot spots' as I'll be buying and holding these for many years to come and probably not selling. I'm a very passive investor.

I look at the land value first. As we know, land appreciates... etc.

There must be demand for this land. Demand from owner-occupiers is what I'm really interested in, as they drive values up with their emotional purchasing decisions. Demand from tenants is secondary but also important.

Land is made desirable by its use and location. It needs to be a nice spot on which to support a dwelling that is desirable to live in. Desirability is different for everyone, however for most, this means good access to amenity, employment, schools, transport, shops, lifestyle and peace and quiet. A strong history of growth is another good indicator.

For me, this means inner suburbs of capital cities. In the past however, I have used the same principles in outer areas with good success.

Then I look for the type of property that will best provide income whilst I hold onto this land and wait for it to grow in value. This will suit the demographic of the area. I’m really enjoying the depreciation benefits and low maintenance my newer properties, so while I recommend a bit of a mix I’m going to lean more towards something newish in the future (perhaps 1-3 years old to avoid paying the developers premium).

SS,

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve from investing in property in the first instance.

Once you know what it is you are wanting to achieve, then you decide on a strategy/s (ie capital growth and/or cashflow) that will do it for you.

Once you have your strategy/s you then piece together a plan working backwards from where you ultimately want to end up through to where you are right now.

The plan you put together must be measurable along the way and have time frames attached. This is so you can review where you are, what you have achieved, are you still on track, and what you need to do next.

The plan must include the type of property you need to buy and location.

By type of property I'm referring to - Houses, Townhouses, Villas, Units, Age of property, condition of property, land size etc etc.

By Location I'm referring City or Regional to determine capital growth/cashflow levels at a macro viewpoint, and from a micro viewpoint im referring to all the usuals that people desire ie good infrastructures, close to transport, high employment areas, schools, shopping centres, medical, lifestyle & recreational facilities etc.

Do you have a Strategy with a plan attached? Ultimately that is what dictates what to look for & where to look for it.

You can then draft your own checklist to use towards analysing and identifying areas & properties that fit your purchasing criteria.

Hope this helps

You can also do a search on the forum for 'checklists' if you'd like to get a few ideas of what to look for.

Type in 'checklists' and there's a heap of info and links.

If you really want to get a heap of checklists of what to look for - google search 'property invest checklists' (or a similar word combination) - there's stacks.

But remember that these are written by single companies or investors so, what I'm currently doing, is picking through what I think is relevant to me (the best pieces of info from each) and compiling my own.

You learn heaps as you read and the end document is more comprehensive as it doesn't really on just one investors/individuals/companies view.

Pick and piece the best of what you find and use it as a start once your strategy has been devised.

We look for suburbs in out own city (closer to get to etc).

We select primarily looking at their historic growth over 10-15 years, and the relative volatility experienced in that time.

We also look at the current median price for that suburb to see if it is in our "affordable" range.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Personally, I'm only interested in the capital cities at the moment. I would say find the city that is the least loved, which will probably mean it has been flat or falling for a few years. Combine this with rental yield analysis. Then buy propeties below the median and old for the long term.

On that basis, Perth and Darwin would be too hot. Sydney is unloved but yields are low. Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide would be the best picks.
Alex

Margaret Lomas

Hi Silly Sausage

I think you have a good point and maybe this is similar to what Margaret Lomas' advocates.

There was an article in API mag a couple of months back on her guidelines and future picks (Resi Oz Property) for strong yields, future CG.

I thought it was amazing that years ago she was able to identify and purchase in areas in WA that locals would not touch, like Bunbury, Geraldton which at the time provided positive cash flow and also achieved great CG.

From memory she looked at:
. Population 10,000+
. Vacancy rates Commerical/industrial properties (identify if the town is prospering?)
. What and how many industries support area
. Big business in town, banks etc.
. Surrounding areas, population etc.

I am hoping someone can add to this list as i cant locate the API mag, anyway something to consider.

Last edited:
BOO said:
I thought it was amazing that years ago she was able to identify and purchase in areas in WA that locals would not touch, like Bunbury, Geraldton which at the time provided positive cash flow and also achieved great CG.

I think sometimes she's been a bit creative in her definition of positive cashflow.

Even in 2003, a yield of 7% would have been difficult (not impossible) to obtain in Bunbury and 9% in Geraldton. Those who succeeded (eg Karina) bought in the ex-commission areas. Karina avoided these, but many ex-commission houses are asbestos.

Given council rates and WA PM costs, these are unlikely to be positive cashflow (at least initially), especially with the odd repair thrown in.

Since these houses were built in the 1950s-70s they would not have got building depreciation which is a key plank of Lomas' approach. The same could be said for maisonettes and houses around Elizabeth (Which Lomas has also been promoting).

These places were all good buys, but they require one to break Lomas' rules and accept something that wasn't quite positive cashflow. Or you could have got a newer place, and had just 5% yield (even in 2003) but claimed depreciation. But this is no different to the outer suburbs of most of the capitals so going interstate to get this doesn't make sense either.

If you were as uncompromising for yield as Lomas (and particularly) McKnight Mk 1 were, you would have just sat on the sidelines and waited forlornly for the magic CF+ to come along.

But you wouldn't have bought anything. And the $100 000 in foregone capital gain (from a single IP) would have hurt much more than the paltry $2000 pa after tax cashflow loss that a slightly -ve geared Geraldton IP would have typically incurred.

I decided Geraldton was good buying about 3 years ago. But I considered that a property in a quality suburb there was a capital gain game, not a cashflow game (as Geraldton was being promoted). That its yield (originally 8.3%, now 8.7%) was similar to what many 'cashflow' buyers would be happy with was a bonus that made it much more attractive and a low risk hold for me.

My method was as follows:

1. Look at the areas with the highest yields
2. Remove all the small towns (pop <20 000) from the list

After that, there's wasn't much left.

You've got a mining town (with the highest yield) and then the coastal towns.

After being satisfied that the mining town was safe enough, one can buy something there.

But it's better not to have everything there, so you look at the next town on the list, even if its yield is nearer to 8% rather than 10%.

Then you get places like Bunbury and Geraldton. At the time Bunbury was cheaper than Busselton or Margaret River, so it seemed due for a rise. But average yields there were still only 5-6% so its holding costs would have been three times that of a Geraldton property yielding 8% (as Bunbury prices were higher than Geraldton's).

Also Geraldton was the cheapest of any coastal city in Australia and there were huge projects being built. The apparently declining population that would have dissuaded some investors was due to a urban boundary anomaly that not many grasped. In fact the whole region was actually growing steadily, had been doing so for 100+ years, so in my view was a safe place to invest.

All the above was plainly apparent in 2003 to anyone who cared to do the research.

Peter

Do you think its naiive of me suss out striclty CF+ properties and purchase only CF+. I realise that its rare (not impossible) to find straight up CF+ therefore will look to create CF+ quickly rather than wait for a a gradual increase in rent.

Does anyone else here buy only CF+? I know this will sacrifice CG to an extent but I also realise that it will go a long way towards replacing my salary (if I buy enough of).

Hi Rixter,

I came up with a rough idea or a plan. Is this what you mean by plan and strategy?

Goal: Is to replace our Salary with creating CF+ property only.

How: Need to make approx $70k per year (pre tax) from rental Large Resi and/or Commercial properties.

Already have $20k in positive earnings pre tax at the moment.

$70k - $20k = $50k further.

Therefore need about $1k per week from rentals to acheive this.

Buy 5 CF+ properties grossing $200/week. (dont laugh i dont know how possible this is). Or is 10 @ $100/week more realistic ?

Would be over a 24 month period. (buy one every 2-3months)

I have $$equity$$ so not a prob purchasing @ 20% down 80% loan for properties (30% for Commercial).

Would review every 6 months to see how I am coming along.

PART II - Now all I have to do is work out a where, what and why....

But is that the drift of things?

Hi SS,

Yep thats exactly the idea.

Your reviews could tie in with your planned purchasing frequency.

Ok so you know what you want to do and a strategy for achieving it.

PART II

Now you need to research for areas from a Macro Level where properties are providing the type of returns you are looking for to reach your ulitmate goal.

Once you have identified areas you then need to research from a micro level what type of properties within those areas provides the best returns thus maximising your income.

Does this make sense?

Hope this helps.

Back