How dumb can you be and still breathe (and not be institutionalised)????

Up rent by $50-80pw

win win, if she stuff it more u getting paid 4 it.

+ when she leaves claim tenant insurance.

If she moves out you got your desired result.

LOL! That was my first reaction, before speaking to the insurance company.

I'm kinda keen to get it gutted & new kitchen installed. This home was purchased several years ago & we have been waiting for her to move so we can reno it. Looks like we'll be able to do that now with the help of insurance. This makes it a win for me.:D

Of course, after the requried reno, it will get a better class of tenant and an increase in rents. Another win!:D

How dumb can you be and still breathe (and not be institutionalised)????

Maybe asking a bunch of blokes about fancy skin care where the odds on anyone caring are slim to zero rates?

Time for an update.

We had to go to tribunal to get rid of the tenant. She would not budge and finally only left a day before the Sheriff was to come to change the locks. That was not a surprise to us at all. Surprisingly she could not find anywhere else to live despite applying for multiple properties at multiple agencies.:rolleyes:

She paid no rent at all from the moment she got the first letter from the PM and when the PM spoke to her about it the response was "I can't afford to pay rent because I have to save for my bond for the next place":eek: Just gotta love them don't you.

Once out, we were presented with a house that had a disgusting smell and was completely filthy. Rubbish everywhere. The toilet from another thread was the one from this property. Lawns overgrown, the garden a huge mess, rats, mice, cockroaches.

Behind the shed was a dumping ground for a lot of the stuff that the tenants didn't want together with lawn clippings. Hubby was busy cleaning this up and he discovered, under a bed frame, a litter of kittens. They must have been only about a week old. Still had their cords attached. I spoke to the neighbour, who is a vet nurse, and she took them in. The mother lives next door to her on the other side. Apparently the mother is in the habbit of having kittens in strange places and this lady frequently houses them then finds homes for them.

The smell, we discovered, was not from a mouldy kitchen, but from grease, of the cooking variety. It was everywhere. Once all the rubbish was removed, the smell got less intense. Removed the carpet and the big black grease spot in the loungeroom had penetrated through the underlay to the floorboards below.:eek: This I was removing with a chisel yesterday.

The walls were covered in it too. Not just the kitchen, but the dining, lounge and some of the bedrooms.

So now the walls have been cleaned, some of them painted. A new wall put in to change it from a three bed to a four bed house and it is starting to look a lot better. To do a complete reno on this house would take forever as it has nasty wood panelling that has been glued to a lot of the walls and some fake bricks on some of the others, so they have been left. The priority is to get it back to tenantable condition, not to a condition that we would want to live there.

We were going to pull the kitchen out, but have decided to do a patchup this time around. The insurance payout was dismal to say the least, so we have done what they suggested, despite the fact that a whole lot more should have been done. A new kitchen will probably go in at the next vacancy.

It is not the daggy masonite wood panelling. It is sheets of pine, toungue & groove, like they make pine furniture out of. It would have cost a fortune to put it up in the first place.

It is not the daggy masonite wood panelling. It is sheets of pine, toungue & groove, like they make pine furniture out of. It would have cost a fortune to put it up in the first place.

Skater I have just spent a full week ripping this stuff out and now left with a
mess of timber to get rid of.
You think it is going to come off easy but it doesn't, I tried being gentle to
preserve the timber for other projects but still damaged the stuff.
Ended up just ripping it out with the claw of the hammer which it just splinters
into hundreds of pieces.

Skater I have just spent a full week ripping this stuff out and now left with a
mess of timber to get rid of.
You think it is going to come off easy but it doesn't, I tried being gentle to
preserve the timber for other projects but still damaged the stuff.
Ended up just ripping it out with the claw of the hammer which it just splinters
into hundreds of pieces.

Hence the reason it is staying put for the moment.:D

Good that you are getting it all sorted out.

We have a tenant who wants a new kitchen window really bad. We said no.She put in an a/c into a livingroom window, where it didn't fit. Cracked the adjoining window, and they filled in the gap with cardboard, but it still didn't keep out the rain very well.
Move ahead 6 months and they are complaining about mold on the carpet. Rob told them to clean it up and we want written invoice from a reputable cleaner it has been done. She gets angry and complains about mold in her bathroom and kitchen window.
Next thing we know we have a letter from County informing us we have a complaint against that property.The officer states on a scale from 1-10, it is a one.He wants the smoke alarm battery replaced and bathroom fan working.

The tenant never bothered to inform us that neither of the 2 weren't working.We will dump the mold problem back onto her again, and gear up for a Tenancy Hearing if need be. She has been a pain since the day she moved in. So bad so, we even offered her the option to break her lease without penalty, a couple of months after she moved in.

Problem tenants , stay problem.
Of course we will let her stay...but she might not like the rent increase :)

Hence the reason it is staying put for the moment.:D

Hi Skater,
Perhaps you could direct stick gyprock sheeting staight over the existing pannelling? When you are ready to do so, of course. Would be much cheaper and easier. Just a thought.

Boods

Hi Skater,
Perhaps you could direct stick gyprock sheeting staight over the existing pannelling? When you are ready to do so, of course. Would be much cheaper and easier. Just a thought.

Boods

Yeah, I thought of that, however the sheeting is so thick that it is already flush with the door frame. To do that, then new frames need to be created, so there is still a lot of work to get it to look good.

No matter, tenants are currently trolling through it now (with a PM, of course) so it will be retenanted soon.:D

We were going to pull the kitchen out, but have decided to do a patchup this time around. The insurance payout was dismal to say the least, so we have done what they suggested, despite the fact that a whole lot more should have been done. A new kitchen will probably go in at the next vacancy.

Are you talking about the landlord insurance?

How did they manage to pay so little?

Does that mean that landlord insurance can provide a false sense of security?

Are you talking about the landlord insurance?

How did they manage to pay so little?

Does that mean that landlord insurance can provide a false sense of security?

No! There are two claims. The first was under buildings insurance. I've got another going through for landlords on the same property.

I am a little dissappointed with the insurance.

Which company?

I'm with AAMI and Allianz. I had a small payout from Allianz, it was OK.

You never know who is good until you have to claim. This lack of information hampers the free market in the insurance industry.

Back