How many cars do we need?

How many vehicles does your family pay for?

• Zero, or not paid for (at all) by us.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • One

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Two

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • More than two

Votes: 19 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Probably belongs in Coffee Lounge, but polls not available there?

I was going through some Melb data the other night and noticed (in passing) that there are quite a few suburbs where the number of two-vehicle abodes is either equal to, or exceeds those of single-vehicle families. This was not only in the outer (vehicle dependent suburbs). Now thinking about it, many of the families I know also have at least 2 vehicles.

Now I love a nice car, but our single conformadore does us quite nicely. There's the odd ocassion when a 'needs' mixup happens, but my partner and I both understand that they're a money pit, and a single pit is quite enough. I'm quite certain there are many reasons, but...

I wondered what the percentages were for forumites vehicles? Who pays for it? How many? To keep it realistic, if you pay FBT, sacrifice, or make a company contribution include this in the number.

Programmer said:
Probably belongs in Coffee Lounge, but polls not available there?

I was going through some Melb data the other night and noticed (in passing) that there are quite a few suburbs where the number of two-vehicle abodes is either equal to, or exceeds those of single-vehicle families. This was not only in the outer (vehicle dependent suburbs). Now thinking about it, many of the families I know also have at least 2 vehicles.

Now I love a nice car, but our single conformadore does us quite nicely. There's the odd ocassion when a 'needs' mixup happens, but my partner and I both understand that they're a money pit, and a single pit is quite enough. I'm quite certain there are many reasons, but...

I wondered what percentage of forumites have two vehicles?
Two and a Trumpy but most bought s/hand and kept av 8yrs after that.

None :) I'm 21 without my license- Heaps of people are bugging me to get it, and I know I should- but I'm pretty sure as soon as I get it I'm going to want a car- and I don't want the expense that comes along with it.

Public transport is the way to go for me, the longer I can bear it the better.. maybe after I have a few IPs i'll consider getting a car.. otherwise its not neccessary..

Good on you Shonnie, and at 21 I'm impressed. Don't let 'em get to you.

My 20 y/o niece just came back from the USA, and while driving out to the airport gave her the speel on car costs and how she really did not need one.

She bought one the following wend...

i didnt get my license till i was 21.
i very much value my licence and my car now though.
working where I work and the hours i work, i need a car due to the shitty (or, non existant) public transport out here.
(who can say YAY for brindabella business park ?)

yes, my cars a money pit of sorts, and bad debt, but at the same time, I know i'm deducting it casue of my second job, so its not SO bad.
Its also cheap to run. I only have one car. And I hope to get antoher 8 years out of it. (had it for 2, its 6 years old)

Shonnie

Well done for avoiding the purchase of a car when you don't need one. I think it is very prudent.

Avoiding getting a driver's licence is not nearly as prudent.

What if you're in a situation where you have to drive? (it might be the difference between someone else's life or death)

I'm not saying you don't know how to drive, but you would still be in breach of the law if you did.

Having an unlicensed driver at the wheel (even one obeying the road rules) would void most (all?) insurance policies in the event that a claim had to be made.

Your patient might get to the hospital and make a full recovery, but either one of you could be crippled (financially) by the costs of any accident that occurs while you are driving.

Even you've admitted that you should get a licence. It really isn't an extravagance. As an adult, it is both individually and socially responsible to have a valid D/L.

M

Last edited:
I fully acknowledge that cars are money pits...but not as much as boats.

Family dynamics, lifestyle choices and convenience dictate the requirement (at least for me) I applaud people's ability to make do without however, having grown up with nothing and many first hand experiences with troubles, I choose new or near new cars now and get rid of them after about 5-6 yrs depending on the odometer...

Car manufacturers only plan vehicle support based upon:
a. 5yrs ~ 130,000 kms
b. 2 owners

After this, there is no direct influence on car sales from the owner or from reliability concerns. As I have many years Maintenance Engineering experience, I know the real costs of new vs used..... new is not as comparably expensive as some ppl believe ;)

cars - are they worth it

I will have to admit I strongly belive in living life in the present rather than in the future (might get hit by a bus and not enjoy)

another admission is that I like cars and own and have owned a range of sports cars which I race in weekends as well whenever possible

Money pit is a understatement for my case but thats what I wanna do

We have two cars now but only out of necessity. We have a Corolla Hatch which we bought new in 1990. Hubby does a lot of km's in his job and the economy on petrol has been great.

But we have 2 boys who are now into teenage years and we don't all fit into the hatch when we want to travel as a family. Knowing they will grow up in a few years and get their own lives and transport, we didn't buy a new family car, just a second hander with low kms. Has worked well.

Now the original car is getting mighty old but we are holding off on getting another as it will only accrue heaps of km's for the sake of work. Just hang on a few more years, and we can trade both the family car and the old hatch and get a nice new one to last at least another decade. :)

I voted 2 but 1 is a work van and the other is a ford.

The work van is a 93 vw transporter, the ford is a 98 au fairmont, both second hand and good value for money.

Was dreaming about nice cars and you can save a lot buying second hand, a XKR jag is around the $130k for a 2001 model while new they are $260k nice savings and most will have only done 20k.

cheers
quoll

quoll said:
a XKR jag is around the $130k for a 2001 model while new they are $260k nice savings and most will have only done 20k.

cheers
quoll
They would have done more than that if they could keep them out of the garage. LOL Sorry. I just hate poorly made cars and Jag's reputation is bad. Been so for 50yrs.

Two cars here. Both four wheel drives, but one is my work ute. Both Toyotas.

I'm running six tractors! can anyone beat that? Only two modern ones. The other 4 are old run abouts. But then the old man has got 3 antiques. Plus a stationary steam engine. Two trucks, a header, sprayer, two quads. Oh dear!!!

Also, for a family of 5, we have 6 dirtbikes. One each, but I have a work bike. Me and the older two kids are racing once a month. All my kids are girls.

See ya's.

Last edited:
topcropper said:
I'm running six tractors! can anyone beat that?
Bet at least one of them is a grey Fergie with a Vangard motor. Odd, but we talk about Vangards having tractor motors LOL. I think you also have a F35. At least someone on SS has. I was at Gatton College when they rolled out the 35. WOW what a big step forward.

Agricultural machinery was primative in those days. I was too young to observe it, but Friday night at the pub must have been odd. So many guys drinking left handed. (No fingers on the right. Chopped of in the chaff cutter) How many farmers died when their tractors climbed their crown-wheel and crushed them? A simple roll-cage took many years to become mandatory.:( :(

Thommo

topcropper said:
I'm running six tractors! can anyone beat that? Only two modern ones. The other 4 are old run abouts. But then the old man has got 3 antiques. Plus a stationary steam engine. Two trucks, a header, sprayer, two quads. Oh dear!!!See ya's.

My realestate agent has himself a couple of Clydesdales and a Percheron. He is learning to plow his vege garden with the horses in harness and uses the manure as a fertilizer. Reckons the vege's are the best he's ever tasted.

Topcropper, maybe you need to trade a tractor or two for a horse and plow?

RichardC said:
Bet at least one of them is a grey Fergie with a Vangard motor. Odd, but we talk about Vangards having tractor motors LOL. I think you also have a F35. At least someone on SS has.

Thommo

No we don't have a grey fergie. What a classic! Nor an F35. Must be someone else.

Our main tractors are a John Deere 8300 with auto steer. Plus a John Deere 6400 with front end loader. The old run abouts are 3 ford 5000s that run driers, post hole diggers, bins, augers, what ever. Plus the big old John Deere articulated 8650 that used to be our main cultivation tractor back when land was cultivated. All it does now is pull a thirty five tonne chaser bin at harvest.

The old mans antiques are a John Deere model B and a John Deere model H, and a farmall. About late 40's vintage. He's done them up. Yes, we have green blood. Still have all my fingers too!

Brenda! A horse and plough!

I'll buy it if you come and walk behind it all day for 2 acres. The old rule of thumb was that a draught horse ate a quarter of all the grain that was grown as fuel. LOL. I'll stick with a tractor thanks.

See ya's.

Last edited:
topcropper said:
The old rule of thumb was that a draught horse ate a quarter of all the grain that was grown as fuel. LOL.
I know you can't afford Solly, but maybe "Chainsaw" Dunlap (a has-been) would take a contract to come to the Antipodes and get that lazy horse's productivity up to 90%. That's what AWAs are for, ain't they?

In Sydney, I went for many years without a vehicle. I bougfht my first vehicle as a result of getting transferred to Canberra.

Canberra still ain't public transport friendly. You can tolerate the buses, but if you aren't simply going from a suburb into one of the closer hubs, it's a pain. (And I tolerated the almost intolerable Queanbeyan/ACT bus system for a few years).

And if you have teenagers in Canberra- especially teenagers with an interest in sports- a car for each teenager is usually an essential. 150km on a weekend day for each car is not unusual- much more is possible.

(Edit: Actually, not a car for each teenager- a car in the family for each teenager is what I meant. And three teenagers would require three parents).

Last edited:
topcropper said:
Our main tractors are a John Deere 8300 with auto steer. Plus a John Deere 6400 with front end loader. <snip> .

OK, I'm a city lad. What's auto steer? It can't mean what it literally says can it? :eek:

Regards,

Kenny

We have 1 car. I hate driving and prefer my hubby to drive anyway. Though I still live at home and we have access to 2 other cars if we need it.

Back