How many have written goals for your IP's?

Do you have written goals for the attainment of IP's?

• No - I don't believe in goal setting

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • No - I know I should but haven't got around to it yet.

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • Yes - I have written goals for the next year

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Yes - I have written goals for the next 5 - 10 years

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Because my passion in life is spreading the magic in goal setting, I am always curious as to how many people in forums like this have written goals for the success they are pursuing.

Thought it might be fun to run a quick poll to see how many of us have written goals / plans for the attainment of financial independence through IP's.

Also interested to read your comments / feedback on the subject as well.

Regards
Rod

I'll admit to being one who doesn't believe in goal setting.

I don't know why, but i've always gone along with whatever happens, just happens.

Sometimes that has been a problem, like when the Bank Manager wanted a written business plan, and I gave him a quick verbal plan :eek: But it still worked !. Maybe i'm just lucky :)

But for those just starting out, DON'T do it my way ! If I had done things properly I would probably have been a millionaire by 30 !!

I've typically got plans for what I'd like to do to the place - landscaping, reno's etc.

When I buy a place, I always know what I want to do straight away, and what I'll do later when I can afford it, or when tenants change.

GoalsMagic,

See my thread: http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13062&highlight=goals

I have no goals specifically pertaining to IPs. They are a means, not an end & as such appear only in my strategies to achieve my goals.

I believe that 'setting goals for IPs' as your poll question was phrased is useless, if not distracting.

The real goals have to do with personal fulfilment in one way or another. Property is usually a tool or method of keeping score, not an end goal, except in the case of home ownership - where the real underlying goal is actually the attainment of some level of public prestige or private comfort :)

The phrasing you used in your post was much more appropriate (but is not likely to be the question people answer in the poll).

What are your goals GoalsMagic?

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi,

I believe goal setting can make one's journey a bit easier. Yet I still havent got a Plan in writing because to be honest im not terribly sure how.

Btw, Acey, stop being pedantic :p

-Regards

Dave

Hi Dave - my approach to planning has been:

1. Work out what I want (eg financial independence by XX)
2. Devise strategies to achieve this (eg own X properties by X by buying a property every X years)
3. Work out what you must do in the next year to move towards 2 above
4. Review progress every 6 months using measures like:

a. Proportion of total income derived from passive sources
b. Passive income as proportion of annual expenditure
c. Net wealth and change over last year
d. Debt to equity ratio
e. Proportion of income saved/reinvested

Regards, Peter

Originally posted by dtraeger2k
Btw, Acey, stop being pedantic :p

Dave, it's the marketer in me :)

The problem with many surveys is that the questions on paper are not the ones that people actually wanted to ask.

I'm concerned that people may answer the poll Q rather than GoalsMagic's real question - and i'd still like to know his goals!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Thanks everyone for your responses to date. Interesting that of those who do set written goals, only one person is focused on one year goals as opposed to those focused on 5 - 10 year goals.

AceyDucey ... when you ask what are my goals ... are you referring to my goals in general or with regards to Investment properties? And why would that be of interest to you? :)

Regards
Rod

Originally posted by GoalsMagic
AceyDucey ... when you ask what are my goals ... are you referring to my goals in general or with regards to Investment properties? And why would that be of interest to you? :)

Rod,

Whatever goals you're comfortable sharing.

I'm interested in your goals for three reasons, firstly curiosity, secondly along the lines of put your money where your mouth is...I posted my goals (in brief) in my goals thread, and would expect to see yours in a similar way - why not add them to my thread, may be more appropriate there :)

Finally, and most importantly, because seeing how someone who has done a lot of work in the goal setting area structures their own goals is useful for all of us in how we formulate our goals.

By adding your goals to the forum you will be adding value for all forumites who read them, rather than simply asking a question that provides you with useful information, but doesn't advance the learning of other forumites.

BTW - referring people to a pay-for-use goals program isn't adding value, it's advertising :)

Interesting that of those who do set written goals, only one person is focused on one year goals as opposed to those focused on 5 - 10 year goals.

Rod, I don't think this is a valid assumption on your part.

The relative focus of the goals was not asked, just if people had them. There is no way to guage from the answers the relative focus or importance of different term goals to people.

I have goals set a long way out, however my number one focus is achieving my goals for today. Based on the poll question you asked, I answered 5-10 years because that is the most correct response.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

AceyDuecy .... Thanks for your interest in my personal goals. I have a fairly comprehensive life design for the next five years and work on my goals program weekly.

As my goals are personal I feel no need to share them in a public forum at all ... sorry I am not able to satisfy your curiosity there :)

secondly along the lines of put your money where your mouth is...I posted my goals (in brief) in my goals thread, and would expect to see yours in a similar way -

I also feel no need to "put my money where my mouth is" and im not sure why you would expect to see my goals posted in a similar way as yours ??? Im happy that you choose to post your goals ... but unsure as to why you would expect me to do the same???

Finally, and most importantly, because seeing how someone who has done a lot of work in the goal setting area structures their own goals is useful for all of us in how we formulate our goals.

The structure of goals I am more than happy to discuss if its of interest here. Basically I developed a system for personal life design based on what I have learnt from studying the goal setting process over 10 years.

BTW - referring people to a pay-for-use goals program isn't adding value, it's advertising

Firstly ... the Goals Magic System is completely free ... yes there are additional products at my web site which are pay for, but my goals program is entirely free to use.

Secondly ... I was under the impression (correct me if im wrong) that using a sig file is an acceptable practice in discussion forums. If there is a policy against this practice here and one of the moderators informs me of such then I will happily remove the sig file :)

Goals Magic

I find the fact that you are unwilling to share your goals quite hypocritical. On the one hand you are asking everyone if they have goals and then when challenged by Acey you say its personal.

It seems to me that the only reason you are participating in this forum is to sell your goods, since I don't recall any posts from you at all related to property investment, only goals.

If this is the case, go crawl back under the rock you came out of.

Hi All
Let's lighten up a little.
Ask anyone and you will find that most people feel uneasy about goal setting. I know that when I was introduced to the idea I wanted to run and hide because it would involve a considerable effort and focus on my part (I was a go with the flow kind of guy).
Now though, I am a strong advocate of the process.

Let me put forward some positive benefits to goal setting.

It works if you work at it.
It works much better if you are a part of a team.(eg. Couples and partners.)
The more you practice the more powerful the outcome.
It brings the dream into a reality

Thanks to goal setting, we have been out of the RAT RACE for over two years now and we are not going back.
I believe that we don't need polls, but we do need goals!
Kind regards
Simon

Hi all

The most powerful and simple goal setting exercise I have come across is in the book "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill.

That little exercise has made me mountains of money and changed my lifestyle unbelievably.

It's a brilliant book and it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Live your dreams!

Julie

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

Originally posted by GoalsMagic
As my goals are personal I feel no need to share them in a public forum at all ... sorry I am not able to satisfy your curiosity there :)

I also feel no need to "put my money where my mouth is" and im not sure why you would expect to see my goals posted in a similar way as yours ??? Im happy that you choose to post your goals ... but unsure as to why you would expect me to do the same???

OK GoalsMagic,

You've shown your true colours here :(

I have written articles about how to market services in forums, and clearly you've read one of them or an article by another person...The tactics you're clearly using fall right into that category - but without a clear understanding of the give & take rule.

Your sig is clearly an advert for a seminar and all your 'contributions' to this forum have involved you promoting your business in goal setting. You have not, in any post to this forum, provided useful information of value to other forumites (IMHO of course).

I'm sorry for your sake that you do not understand that this forum is about sharing information and are only willing to take, not to give.

However, you have the honour of being only the second person I've put on my ignore list.

All the best for your business success - you might find a better audience for your advertising elsewhere.

Enjoy the forum & I hope you learn to contribute as well as advertise.

EDIT: Made a few changes to the wording below as I realised I didn't phrase myself well & the comment could be seen as libelous :) This wasn't my intent. I also note that GoalsMagic has now removed the seminar promo from his sig....hmm I guess that confirms it WAS advertising & his intentions in posting on this forum. GoalsMagic, learn from the efforts of the Rolfs & Dale - they are highly respected & get the business of a lot of forumites because they ADD VALUE to the forum. They are professionals who give freely, and receive rewards in turn....

BTW - i've downloaded & read your 'free goal setting system'. It appeared to me to be a rehash of several other free eBooks on the topic that I've read - but I concede that they could be a rehash of your book.

Note that this doesn't detract from the value - I think that it, like many other systems, can work for people who need this help. however an EXAMPLE of goal setting from the author is much more valuable.....money where your mouth is :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Last edited:
Skater .... thanks for the feedback.

Im sorry but I dont find Acey's curiosity or challenge, or the fact that he has posted his goals in this forum to be compelling enough reasons for me to share my goals which are personal.

Again ... if there is a policy against the use of sig files then I will happily remove it!

AceyDucey... with regards to your post:

The reason the info about the seminar was removed from my sig file is becuase it was fully booked. It was a free seminar being run in Melbourne based on Goals Magic. Why was it free? Because I believe it will be a valuable learning exercise for me to conduct the seminar / workshop (not having done them before) and get feedback from people whilst developing presenting skills. Had you taken a moment to make enquiries as to what the seminar was about you may have discoverd this, rather than concluding it was blatant advertising.

Again I repeat that even though my posts do not sit well with you, they are not against the posting rules to have a link in a sig file for the forum (as a huge number of members here do) and no moderator has contacted me about this.

I agree with you I contribute little in value in regards to IP as it has not been an area of focus for me in the past. My investment philosophy has always been to take a contrarion view so I am now looking to improve my knowledge for when highly geared inexperienced investors are forced to sell as interest rates creep up (as I note you are also eagerly awaiting in one of your posts). Previously i have been focused on business building having built two international businesses and goal setting (which is a passion). Hence my lack of contributions in the forum in the IP arena.

I feel that your efforts to highlight to everyone the fact that you feel I am a scammer is quite sad on your behalf, yet I respect the fact that you are entitled to your opinion. Many thousands of people around the world have benefited from my FREE goal setting system and newsletters. Its a shame that you are of a cynical nature and look for the negatives in people rather than the positives.

I have joined these forums only with good intentions and have never intended to offend anyone here. I have a great deal of respect for the knowledge and experience and wisdom here and have an open mind to learn. In time hopefully my knowledge will improve and I will have more to contribute. Until then I will refrain from any more posts about goal setting (even thought it is relevant here) so as not to offend yourself and the other few people who have made negative comments.

Thanks for your input though ... there is always something to be learnt from everyone.

Regards
Rod

Last edited:
Rod,

Another forumite notified my of your reply, so I felt it appropriate that as you decided to comment publicly I would respond accordingly.

However you are welcome to pm or email me if you have any issues such that they can be resolved in a professional and private manner.

Remember, I'm not 'out to get you' I simply want you to put your money where your mouth is and provide some value to the forum in your area of expertise!

That's hardly a libelous request :)

The reason the info about the seminar was removed from my sig file is becuase it was fully booked. It was a free seminar being run in Melbourne based on Goals Magic.
My apologies for mistaking your seminar announcement as not being free - but speaking frankly, why should I assume that it was?

It isn't common practice to expect people to email you to discover how much a seminar costs. On balance I feel my caution and concern was warranted - given the number of revenue streams you push in your website.

Speaking with a marketer hat on, if you had mentioned in your Sig that this was a free seminar the reception would have been different. One single word can make a great deal of difference to implication!

I am scared (yup too scared) to email you re seminar information as there was no information in your sig as to how my information would be used.

The Privacy Act in Australia requires that you provide appropriate undertakings that information will only be used for the purpose specified at the point where the information is collected (ie where an email address is provided or clearly linked from that same location). It would be better if you have had a link to a webpage which could provide more information on your free seminar and adhere to the Privacy Act.

The fact that you have edited your posts does not detract from (an in fact confirms) that you have made defamitry comments against me, and libelous claims about me and my business activities. I have copied your public post prior to your editing it and it is now in the hands of my solicitor being reviewed.
Rod, I suggest you also send your solicitor a copy of the edited post & brush up on your own knowledge of Australian libel laws. Having edited publications & worked in the marketing area for many years I've come into contact with and made decisions with reference to this area of law many times.

Firstly, intent has to be proven. you'll note that I was very clearly supportive of your business in my initial email (and the edited one) and indeed gave it a recommendation. Secondly you'll note that in my edits I did state 'I realised I didn't phrase myself well & the comment could be seen as libelous This wasn't my intent'

That deals with the libel question. No defamation or libel was intended & any comment that could be interpreted as such I removed as quickly as I could - not because of any fear or concern over any attempt by you to initiate legal proceedings, but because it wasn't my intention to libel you, but simply comment on the similarities between your work & those of others :)

If you still do not believe me, contact me directly rather than via a public forum!

My investment philosophy has always been to take a contrarion view so I am now looking to improve my knowledge for when highly geared inexperienced investors are forced to sell as interest rates creep up (as I note you are also eagerly awaiting in one of your posts).
It's an interesting approach. Note I'm not and never have sought to take advantage of inexperienced investors forced to sell-up, and are disappointed you might read some of my comments - possibly tongue-in-cheek - that way. i am interested in buying properties for which I can add value where others cannot, due to inclination or ability.

I feel that your efforts to highlight to everyone the fact that you feel I am a scammer is quite sad on your behalf, yet I respect the fact that you are entitled to your opinion. Many thousands of people around the world have benefited from my FREE goal setting system and newsletters. Its a shame that you are of a cynical nature and look for the negatives in people rather than the positives.
I'm glad you feel sad on my behalf :)

I have crusaded over many years to close down scammers. I also note that I have never called you one - so your comments are really a bit of a reach :)

Good for you if you've helped thousands of people around the world. I look forward to reading more of their endorsements of your system.

I feel it sad, however, that you do not deign to share any of this FREE support or advice in the area you claim as your expertise with this forum.

As to looking at the negatives not the positives, I don't think many people see me this way! Normally I get pulled up for being overly positive :)

Again I encourage you to share your views on goal setting with this forum. I want you to become a contributing forumite - your resistence to this I find remarkable & rings warning bells in my humble opinion :)

I have joined these forums only with good intentions and have never intended to offend anyone here.
You have not offended me either - just disappointed me.

I have a great deal of respect for the knowledge and experience and wisdom here and have an open mind to learn. In time hopefully my knowledge will improve and I will have more to contribute. Until then I will refrain from any more posts about goal setting (even thought it is relevant here) so as not to offend yourself and the other few people who have made negative comments.
You reading my comments as negative rather than constructive is an issue that you have to deal with internally.

And to finally clarify that I want your contributions in your area of expertise on this forum - I quote myself to you:
I'm sorry for your sake that you do not understand that this forum is about sharing information and are only willing to take, not to give....

GoalsMagic, learn from the efforts of the Rolfs & Dale - they are highly respected & get the business of a lot of forumites because they ADD VALUE to the forum. They are professionals who give freely, and receive rewards in turn....

Enjoy the forum & I hope you learn to contribute as well as advertise
and prior to this:

By adding your goals to the forum you will be adding value for all forumites who read them, rather than simply asking a question that provides you with useful information, but doesn't advance the learning of other forumites.

Finally,

Enjoy the forum Rod, but try not to reflect your issues onto others.

All I have asked from you is more of a contribution in the area in which you claim expertise - it will benefit you as well as the rest of us.

The negative slant you have placed on this is YOUR interpretation, not the intention.

And good luck with your first seminar! I hope you have a wonderful time :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

AceyDuecy ... thanks for your post. I did actually pm you but received no response. Perhaps because im on your ignore list ;) I'll try again!

Remember, I'm not 'out to get you' I simply want you to put your money where your mouth is and provide some value to the forum in your area of expertise!

Lets put the issue of me not being prepared to provide an example of goal setting to rest (and put my money where my mouth is) .... as I have in fact done this previously in these forums and refer you to:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10076

At the time this discussion did not go anywhere.

Now im happy to expand on this as it is a brief overview so if anyone wishes to discuss goal setting in more detail then happy to do so. My personal goals are not up for discussion, but more than happy to work through an example of goal setting.

Regards
Rod

Last edited:
Back