How many markets moving

Not sure why or what is happening and whether we have seen so many markets going gangbusters at the same time, we have Sydney, Perth, Brissy and Melb markets moving. Of course there is growth and there is growth, some doing better than others, none the less there is so much optimism in the market.

My top pick would be Sydney for growth 2014, followed closely by Perth.

Why is there so much optimism, is it the historically low interest rates???

What are your thoughts for 2014, do you see continued growth. I am very bullish for the next 6 months

MTR:)

Not sure why or what is happening and whether we have seen so many markets going gangbusters at the same time, we have Sydney, Perth, Brissy and Melb markets moving. Of course there is growth and there is growth, some doing better than others, none the less there is so much optimism in the market.

What are your thoughts for 2014, do you see continued growth. I am very bullish for the next 6 months

Maybe it's just the old adage,,"You cannot go broke taking a profit"..

Why Sydney when Brisbane appears to be the consensus?

Its only an opinion, we all have one.... and time will tell. :)

Sydney is currently experiencing double digit growth in many areas at the moment and I believe this is just the start and it still has some way to go.
I have experienced 40% growth on my property in Sydney (west). There are plenty of areas that will follow.

Generally speaking in the past it has been inner Syd that moves first and then the ripple effect starts, totally different this time. I believe many factors driving Syd West, including immigration, many professionals from India moved to the West as it was affordable etc which pushed prices north.

I think Brisbane is very low base and investors will find this very attractive which will also start the ball rolling.

Perth is currently a rising market and with shortage of stock and land prices are continuing to rise. We still have some steam left.

I very closely follow the pocket of land near the Perth airport which is red hot right now and has seen massive price growth over the past 3 years. I know that over the last 2 years, growth in prices has been fuelled by: changes to zonings of many lots from R20 to R20/40, effectively doubling the development potential for may lots, WAPC changes to the R-Codes reducing the minimum lot size for R20/R30/R40 and the changes to the multi-unit code which now allows 8-12 apartments to be built on these development sites. Suitable blocks that were selling in the $500-$550k range are now selling for $699k. I don't see this cooling off any time soon. So, for the rest of 2014 at least, I can see growth in this market. I would love to pick up an R20 development site and build a house to live in at the back but my locational criteria means that all the suitable sites are a minimum of R20/40 and too expensive for such a project. I would love to see prices ease over the next 12-24 months but I can't see this happening. IMO, prices won't drop until interest rates hit 8% to 8.5% and who knows when that will happen.

- People have not invested much for a few years and are cashed up
- Cheap debt, easy credit processes
- Yields are actually decent
- Lower AUD has stimulated some sectors (tourism, education, agriculture and even mining)
- While there have been some manufacturing head winds, anyone with half a brain knew his would happen one day, and generally Australians feel still 'within their depth' and masters of their own destiny
- In general the overall feeling is positive and all the doomsday theories and Dr. Dooms have not acutally occured

Seems like a great time for a newbie like me to get started :) not rushing in without dd but reading stuff like this is reinforcing it's the right time

Seems like a great time for a newbie like me to get started :) not rushing in without dd but reading stuff like this is reinforcing it's the right time

Investing is like surfing: you need to start paddling BEFORE the wave gets to you. By the time the wave gets to you, it's too late.

Sydney, Newcastle are past my buy-in point, but it's a great time to sell if you bought at the bottom. I'm looking around for somewhere that the tide hasn't lifted yet (to mix my metaphors) and regionals are looking good. I never thought I'd buy in regionals, ever. Just missed out on a property in Maitland: bottom of the market, needed a lot of work, mixed-use zoning... been turned in at auction. I dilly-dallied around and got beaten by 2 other interested parties. It turned into another auction!

I dunno about Melbourne as an investment, love the place though. The NSW Central Coast might be OK but it's getting hot too.

Adelaide would be interesting. Need to learn more.

Hobart in particular and Tasmania in general never seems to rate a mention anywhere. I imagine there might be some opportunities if you know how to spot a diamond in the rough, negotiate well and can add a lot of value cheaply. Might be a good +cf play to allow a long hold.

Investing is like surfing: you need to start paddling BEFORE the wave gets to you. By the time the wave gets to you, it's too late.

Sydney, Newcastle are past my buy-in point, but it's a great time to sell if you bought at the bottom. I'm looking around for somewhere that the tide hasn't lifted yet (to mix my metaphors) and regionals are looking good. I never thought I'd buy in regionals, ever. Just missed out on a property in Maitland: bottom of the market, needed a lot of work, mixed-use zoning... been turned in at auction. I dilly-dallied around and got beaten by 2 other interested parties. It turned into another auction!

I dunno about Melbourne as an investment, love the place though. The NSW Central Coast might be OK but it's getting hot too.

Hobart in particular and Tasmania in general never seems to rate a mention anywhere. I imagine there might be some opportunities if you know how to spot a diamond in the rough, negotiate well and can add a lot of value cheaply. Might be a good +cf play to allow a long hold.

Yeah there are heaps of cash flow opportunities in Hobart. I guess the thing that sometimes has to be remembered though is how small Hobart actually is. Might as well invest in Wollongong, Geelong , Townsville , cairns

There have been some great opportunities to buy in a low and sell on a high, Perth has been great over the last 2 years. Development properties are still hot and rising, I would only jump in if it makes sense, many do not.

Melb, I think its a very strange market, with some inner city stuff soaring while other areas not doing too much at all.

However, the development sites around 15-17km from Melb representing great value IMO. My last 4 unit site I purchased for $428K, that is as cheap as chips, in Perth we are paying anywhere from $600K-1m+ depending on size of land, generally this would be for a 3 unit site.

I think Delta hit the nail on the head, optimism in the air, low interest rates, reasonable yields, makes it a very comfortable investment for the average person who buys and holds

I'd disagree there . Last Cycle we didn't start investing untill after Sydney had moved and after good central places in Brisbane had moved .

We did well in Logan , Rocky , Townsville and Hobart as did many other people on the forum .

Obviously the earlier you get in the better and as a result of what we learnt here we picked up bargins in good central locations this cycle and at the moment we're not buying , but if we weren't fully committed I'd be happy to buy and I think there will be places that are worthwhile buying in for a while.

Cliff

I agree SC, obviously if you get in earlier improves the outcome, but it is very surprising how many like to jump in when the market has peaked.

I agree SC, obviously if you get in earlier improves the outcome, but it is very surprising how many like to jump in when the market has peaked.

Not really, in any market, it's always the johnny-came-late investors who jump in towards the end of a bullmarket based on euphoria and fear of missing out the boom. For that matter, I think sharemarket is probably one of the best training grounds to test out how one can handle the battle of greed and fear within oneself.

I have seen 25-50k moves in the 350k range (moving it to 400) in most Redlands suburbs (east coast brisbane)...

lots of optimism...

Back