How much do you spend on food a day?

I really don't want to have to think about this one... the answer is *a lot*.

My average work weekday would be
Breakfast - Cereal and Milk - $0.50
Morning coffee - $2.80
Lunch - Cafe near work - $6-11 - average $7.50
Dinner - Cafe/Restaurant near home - $7-14 - average $9

Weekends... :eek:
Breakfasty/Lunch - Cafe - $11
Coffee - $2.80
Lunchy snack - Bakery - $6
Dinner - Restaurant - $15-20

And I'll still spend about $50 at Coles each week (for those 2 odd dinners I'll cook, toiletries, etc...)

Far out... that's $178.60 eating out each week for one person! (before my Coles shop). The joys of living alone in St Kilda! (housemate is working in Holland for a few months).

Last edited:
Not really sure what we spend for food. Probably about $10-12 a day (for a family of 5).
We buy "specials". We stock up. Hardly ever just go grocery shopping.

We did splurge this week at the restaurant. It was our 4th wedding anniversary. Went to a dinner theatre.Altogether it came to $100 plus tip. Included our drinks in this also.

Normally,at restaurants, because I eat small amounts (but often) , Rob and I will share a meal. Ask for a separate plate. This way I can enjoy dessert too.

Kathryn, I am not surprised you guys can share a main course in Canada....your servings are almost as big as the USA's.

Nevertheless, as Jane and I are in our 40s and reasonably sedentary, we also often share 1 main, or an entree and main...though rarely do desert...

And how about this for cheapskating, if we are really hungry, we might share a sanger at home before going out...just so we aren't enticed into 2xentrees, mains, and desert :rolleyes:.

We reason that doing so allows us to eat out twice as often for the same cost :)

My wife informs me that we spend $500+ for 4 people + 1 dog. This is not just food. On top of this is still some eating out and take aways, although of late the takeaways have decreased.

We also eat out at least ones a week with an average spend of $100 for 2. I have no idea how much more my boys spend on food when then are not home, but no doubt a lot.

Cheers

The last 12 months for my family of 4 was $12.21 each

Oct 04 to oct 05 $11.20, Oct 03 to Oct 04 $9.01

My kids are 9 & 12 so their appetites are growing plus i have a golden retriever who if given the chance would eat more than all of us combined:D

I am getting less certain of the actual cost of food in our household - especially when some of it come from the garden :confused: I guess you'd have to factor in the dynamic lifter, seeds, potting mix etc :p

The stuff we buy is not particularly cheap - mostly organic (or biodynamic if available), or at very least GMO free.....

Cheers,

The Y-man

My guess is about $100 a week for 3 people. Lots of fruits and veges with my own concoction of mixed berries and cereals for breakfast and home cooked food or packed sandwich for lunch.

That is the grand amount of $5 per person per day, not including preparation, procurement, etc. My monthly outgoing is about $4-5k a month, including property expenses, schooling and home maintenance needs.

The budget's out the window when relatives are in town!

:)

I spend about $15 a day, unless I go to a sushi bar, then its about $50. My wife and I managed to knock of about 35 plates at a sushi bar one night.:eek:

We would spend probably close to 250 a week for all shopping needs during the week (family of four) I recently started buying nearly all organic so I have lost track a little of the exact figure as I am now doing smaller shops during the week at different places. But surprisingly I don't think it has risen significantly as you are more aware of only buying what you need - not wasting and very little junk food as I aviod additives. I have been meaning to add it all up (as I usually have a budget) so I will have to do it to compare.

We used our last pkg of hamburg ...er mince...last week.
Was really happy to see it go on sale for 99c per lb (half price).
Rob bought 40 lbs today and before the week is over, will probably get another 60lb.That should last a year till the next sale.

$200 p/w

this is for 2 adults, 2 very young kids and one cat. Includes some gifts and clothes. We eat reasonably healthy - so not a lot of pre-processed stuff. Not a lot of red meat - chicken and fish and some mince, and quite often vegetarian.

Back