How much do you spend on petrol each week? How much do you spend on phone/ internet?

I still remember when all I paid was 18/mth for a landline. Man they were the days. Before yuppy phones and internet. The highest my coms bill ever got was $800/mth (Sydney).
The old girl and I spend 19/mth each now and fuels about 30/wk between us on average.

If I was to suggest where to save it would be 'time'. You simply can't get time back. Dollars are recoverable but many a commute on public transport (in AU) taught me that time is priceless.

40PM Petrol (motorbike) drive the car couple times a month.
00PM Parking at work
30PM Mobile (IINET/Optus)
60PM Naked ADSL (IINET)

I think I have you all beat

- $2.50 a month for the phone ($15, 6 month pre-paid paperweight phone)
- $12.50 a month for broadband (wireless USB stick pre-paid $149 for the year)
- $4 a week for petrol (I've only filled up the tank 4 times in the past 12 months for a total of $200. Get the train to work and only drive minimally on the weekends)

Total about $32 a month all up for the 3 items.

If you don't really use it, why pay for it lol. One of my staff members at work fell off his chair when I said I forgot to charge my phone this morning. I said I only had to do it once a month or so!

Last edited:
I'm lucky enough to be able to walk to work, so petrol/travel is usually about $50/month for my motorbike/train for odd trips or fun rides.

Partner drives 20km round trip to work each day and that costs him $80 a week in petrol (free parking).

No house phone, and we pay $60/month ($14/week) for the internet, and $49/month ($11/week) each for our mobile phones.

Partner drives 20km round trip to work each day and that costs him $80 a week in petrol (free parking).
Wow - I just read through this thread and realised that the 27year old Honda Prelude is costing as much as some self-proclaimed 'petrol guzzlers'. Yikes!

petrol = ~$50 per week (drive a Hyundai Getz and commute 70k per day round trip to and from work)
internet/phone = ~$28 per week
consists of $80 per month Telstra 1.5gb mobile plan with iPhone 5S
plus $60 per month iinet naked broadband connection with 100MB of data. This is split with a house mate

Does iiNet drop out every time there is a storm? We decided many years ago to stick to Telstra because at the time, the other companies we had used were always repaired long after Telstra customers were reinstalled. Am I stuck in a time warp and things have improved?

telstra internet - $20/w - inc phone line rental ($88/m 200gb) the best deal i can get, cant wait for nbn
Phone - $7/w - telstra prepaid ($30/m cap encore)
Fuel - $23/w - ($100/m) varies depending what i do

How much do you spend on fuel ?? Depend how far you drive. Distance etc How many cars etc. I switched my former car for a small engine new car and spend little a week..$20 ?? I travel 1K a month. My son has a older Ford AU2 and could spend $20 driving 20km. (Not quite but you know what I mean)

I know someone who spends $300 a month on tolls. That's insane. Its his son visiting the GF who lives across city through three tolls each way. I would throw it away and make him drive the long way around.

I'm a tight **** accountant :eek:

I think I have you all beat

- $2.50 a month for the phone ($15, 6 month pre-paid paperweight phone)
- $12.50 a month for broadband (wireless USB stick pre-paid $149 for the year)
- $4 a week for petrol (I've only filled up the tank 4 times in the past 12 months for a total of $200. Get the train to work and only drive minimally on the weekends)

Total about $32 a month all up for the 3 items.

If you don't really use it, why pay for it lol. One of my staff members at work fell off his chair when I said I forgot to charge my phone this morning. I said I only had to do it once a month or so!
I've cancelled my broadband/ homeline plan. Where I'll be living for the next few months I can only get dial up. I chucked all my dial up accessories two moves ago! I thought it was close to extinct! Would something like this be best for me? I most likely won't need until kids go back to school next year. Mainly for assignments, printing, etc. Can access a bit if internet on the three mobile phones for now. Good excuse to keep kids off games over school holidays. Well, maybe for at least the first half!
How much do you spend on fuel ?? Depend how far you drive. Distance etc How many cars etc. I switched my former car for a small engine new car and spend little a week..$20 ?? I travel 1K a month. My son has a older Ford AU2 and could spend $20 driving 20km. (Not quite but you know what I mean)

I'm a tight **** accountant :eek:
Yeah, me and hubby both have ford fairmonts. It was about half the price of a smaller car ($2000-3000), with better accessories, but I guess you pay for it when travelling heaps.

2x mobiles and unlimited internet is about $30p/w
(we bought our phones outright as it was cheaper for us to do that and bring them onto a cheap plan rather than paying and being locked in for 24months)

hubby's motorbike petrol is about $15p/w and this is his main mode of transport. My car is about $30 p/w in petrol (LPG gas really).

Back