how much does a deck add

hi, recently built a 30sqm deck which is running off the main living room of my ppor.
its merbau with all merbau posts, looks very professional
what sort of value would this add do you think?
median for the suburb is about 450k, if that matters

You can't work it out like you are asking. For example if you own a $900k property in a $450k suburb, then it is a $0 value add. If you own a $450k property and most have decks, then you are just making yours like all the others and again it would add $0.
You need to gather some comparable sales for similar houses with and without decks.

It might be worth $4.5k more but the reality is that this represents only 1% of the median price of $450k. Dunno if a valuer would put an extra $4.5k on the property or not.

yeah good point
like Propertunity has said it depends on a lot of criteria
some things add lots of value other add little
you need to work it out, some thing wont increase rent but will help attract tenants

also why do you need to know the value are you requiring a valuation to get some equity?

yeah good point
like Propertunity has said it depends on a lot of criteria
some things add lots of value other add little
you need to work it out, some thing wont increase rent but will help attract tenants

also why do you need to know the value are you requiring a valuation to get some equity?

not too many properties have decks, most are alfresco areas under roofline in my area.

reason im wanting to know is 1) curiosity, 2) yes could require equity but im sure theres enough there, and 3) may be rented soonish <6 months

it was hard yakka, one of me good mates designed and built most of it, but i labored for him and let me tell you that my desk hands havent done too much laboring in the past so its really just a pride thing as well

It really is an impossible question to answer without having a prior valuation and a post valuation ... it could have added $0 or it could have added $10,000.

As far as livablity? IMO substantial decks, ie absolute minimum of 3x4m+, add a lot to desirability.

I know what you mean about the work ... on my last reno my builder suggested I dig the foundation holes to save money. About a dozen holes, 600x600x500deep later ... thank goodness it was sand-based soil.

We once asked the floor sander if we would save money by punching the nails ourselves. Saving was about $20 (from memory). We didn't bother (and he probably didn't want us to do it anyway in case we missed some and stuffed his machine :D).

Where we did save money was in removing the thousands of staples that the installer had used to hold the masonite base for the vinyl that we ripped up. Vinyl came up in an hour, staples took us days to remove, calling the person who had put them in years ago and who had gone "slightly" overboard a bad name with every one that we had to lever up with a screwdriver before pulling them out with pinchers, one by one by one by one..... :(

Additions of bedrooms, bathrooms and fully enclosed garages add value in my opinion. As Lizzie said, your deck could very well add to the 'desirablity' of your property, but probably not much else.

It might be a $450k suburb, but what amount of the $450k is land value and what is improvement value?

Basically it adds about 10-15% of the house rate on a per sqm of floor area basis.

So if you are in an area where land values are $370k, the property is worth $450k thus the 130sqm house adds say $500/sqm then the deck may add $50-$75 per sqm if you are lucky.

Cost does not equal value especially in perepherial items such as decks. Many people/purchasers hardly venture outside, so if they are the purchasers they will not add much if anything to an offer price, thus it may not add much value in the eyes of purchasers or valuers.

Just because you like something does not mean that everyone likes it.

Decks, like pergolas and pools, wlil only in rare exceptions come close to adding value similar to cost. In your case, given the no paid labour component it might just add cost in terms of value.

Mind you if the rest of your rear yard is a tip...

Decks, like pergolas and pools, wlil only in rare exceptions come close to adding value similar to cost. In your case, given the no paid labour component it might just add cost in terms of value.

But if it adds another "living" space and improves indoor/outdoor flow, then it may have added a good bit to the value.

A piddling little 1m wide deck shoved on the back door is, IMO, useless ... but a good slab of deck can enhance. I personally like being outdoors and a decent sized decked area is essential in my books.

But if it adds another "living" space and improves indoor/outdoor flow, then it may have added a good bit to the value.

A piddling little 1m wide deck shoved on the back door is, IMO, useless ... but a good slab of deck can enhance. I personally like being outdoors and a decent sized decked area is essential in my books.

Exactly,

so you will pay more for them.

Me, I live in Melbourne and well for most of the year an open deck will not be used, so I am not interested in paying much more for one.

That said, I am thinking of ripping up a foot deep of concrete and building a covered deck off the rear, but first I need to finish the internal renovation, the new kitchen, repoint and paint the roof and paint the outside of the house, each one will cost about he same as a deck and all will add more value. So the deck is looking like 2015 at this rate.

... paint the outside of the house, each one will cost about he same as a deck and all will add more value. So the deck is looking like 2015 at this rate.

I'm curious about what sort of difference painting a house would make to the valuation.

Pa1nter said to me recently that a new paint job (a good one) will add substantial value to a house. It is something I've never really thought about, because we've always kept our houses painted nicely, or if a new purchase, it is one of the things we do to get it up to scratch to rent, or live in. We never just paint and primp the inside, but the outside too.

So I'm curious to know what sort of value add a fresh paint job could make, or would it only make a big difference if the house was going from a "pig's ear" state to a "silk purse" state via a great paint job (assuming that the inside is nicely done and it is only the kerb appeal you are changing with an external paint job).

not too many properties have decks, most are alfresco areas under roofline in my area.

reason im wanting to know is 1) curiosity, 2) yes could require equity but im sure theres enough there, and 3) may be rented soonish <6 months

it was hard yakka, one of me good mates designed and built most of it, but i labored for him and let me tell you that my desk hands havent done too much laboring in the past so its really just a pride thing as well

so is your deck undercover?
id prefer an alfresco area or undercovered deck so if its undercover it would be alright if its not i wouldnt really use it
too cold in winter too hot in summer

It really is an impossible question to answer without having a prior valuation and a post valuation ... it could have added $0 or it could have added $10,000.

As far as livablity? IMO substantial decks, ie absolute minimum of 3x4m+, add a lot to desirability.

I know what you mean about the work ... on my last reno my builder suggested I dig the foundation holes to save money. About a dozen holes, 600x600x500deep later ... thank goodness it was sand-based soil.

i had to dig 6 fence post holes 300x300x900deep, i thought sweet sandy soil will be done in no time.... gave the area a good sprinkler the day before so the hole didnt collapse on itself then attempted to dig the next day
the soil was easy but the tree roots werent i had to get my chainsaw in and cut some of them they were huge!
and then some areas were full of rocks, and one already had a post in it and snapped off at ground level so dug half out before having to move it across a foot

indoor/outdoor flow is very good as i have 2metre wide doors flowing onto it.

Just because you like something does not mean that everyone likes it.

Mind you if the rest of your rear yard is a tip...

2 metre drop from the house to the back fence, i had no choice but a deck.

nope not a tip, best front yard on the street, dont know about back but certainly good

Back