How much for personal bookeeping

I have been running my own accounts in myob business basics for the past 18 months or so and have realised this is probably not an effective use of my time.

Does anyone use a personal bookkeeper (other than your partners :D) to track all and i mean all personal income and expenditure.

I am not self employed (work as an employee for the govt), tho have been looking into a personal business, have 5 IP's, varied holding of shares to and trade options occassionally.

Can anyone here provide a recommendation for someone or advise how much they are paying for a similar service.

Cheers

Scott

I used to use a guy for $33/hr 2 years back but he then put up the fee alot so now just started with a new lady who charges $44/hr.

I give all my reciepts in a folder plus bank/credit card statements, etc and they put them into MYOB for my quarterly Bas. Shes going to have a years worth but wasn't worried (Yes I'm behind again!), so I'll see how it all works out.

At financial year I take the files to my accountant who juggles the figures depending on whats business or private. (eg the bookkeeper will put in all reciepts for fuel, the accountant will adjust the % claimable for business).

I decided many years ago that I couldn't be bothered entering all that stuff and doing bank recs,etc. I'd rather enjoy other things.

Chris

book keeper

I have a very good friend in Brisbane who does book keeping.

She has a lot of clients who are self employed running small businesses such as landscapers, earth movers etc.

If you would like her details drop me a PM.

She is based in Crestmead.

I have a book keeper who charges $50 ph for regular work- but if he was just doing quarterly BASs would be charging $100ph.

A part of the cost if the responsibility.

An employee who is familiar with MYOB would be able to do payroll, accounts, and the regular BAS.

But it would have to be my signature on the BAS, not the employee who has prepared it.

The bookkeeper picks up accounts each week, and tells me what accounts have to be paid by what date. Everything is kept up to date weekly- including things like reconciliation of bank statements.

We prepare our own payroll. Because every employee is working on a casual basis, with six different penalty rates applicable, we feel that we can see much more easily when a timesheet is not correct. And besides- the last time the bookkeeper did the payroll, one employee was accidentally overpaid $800.

OSS, there might be some ideas below. I have been improving a spreadsheet system for several years now and it really saves a lot of time. I used to use a book keeper ($35/hr) but I was spending a lot of time keeping the records arranged so she could understand, answering questions, then having to meet her every quarter for 1-2 hours to sort out BAS.

I reckon it is better value to use an accountant to do the tax return if things are tricky. Less chance of an audit and you get more time before having to pay tax, at least with an ABN. Plus they factor in an hour or so a year for a yack, and they can generally give you a few ideas that save you money, or help your investment strategy.

if your excel skills are ok, consider automating spreadsheets. If you are always going to be PAYG, then they'll last you a lifetime with minimal revision every year.

It seems Quicken and MYOB are getting greedier as they gain market share. Some microbusinesses are paying $600+ for compulsory annual upgrades. It is becoming a rort. Self employment is one of the fastest growing trends around.

Personally, I am self employed and also consult. My accounting is uncomplicated. I have evolved a spreadsheet set up as a cash book, with a chart of accounts (categories) that pulls out claimable GST and splits the rest into deductible and non ded chart of account categories.

I have separate cash flow and PnL summaries and graphs for:
share trades/investing
property
business
personal use

So basically, each investment or life endeavour is set up as a profit centre.

This has taken several years to evolve, but it gives me a very clear picture of what is happening in my life. Since improving my excel skills, I have alls sorts of silly ideas about working the data to establish net profit per hour spent on each endeavour.

The spreadsheets became a lot more efficient and informative when I got on top of using macros to clean the exported bank account data and do database manipulation using sumproduct and transpose functions.

THis might seem like a lot of micromanagement, but it has got more time efficient every year, and has disciplined me to stay conscious of where the money is coming from and going. I am not likely to be caught out with cash flow shortfalls.

I have 5 accounts (2 credit cards, 2 bank accts, and a Comsec acct) that I export. These are pasted onto a data cleaner worksheet, and it is a one click macro operation to clean, then manually paste into either payments or receipts of the master cash book.

Then I go through each entry in the cash book and click on a drop down list of accounts (categories). A lot of stuff happens automatically after that- qtrly bas, cash flow graphs, profit centre PnLs, asset register, and tax return estimate.

All this used to take 30 hours a qtr, but I have it down to less than an hour a month.

I give the spreadsheet to the accountant to do the tax return.

I have also dumbed down any handling of paper. I try and always pay electronically, therefore receipts and invoices are just dumped into one of 12 monthly folders and I never look at them again.

Regular mthly, qtrly, annual bills are paid automatically out of credit card, and irregulars sit in an intray until end of month.

WW, don't you think thats slight overkill? Is all that really necessary?

Scott,

You should be able to get an ok bookkeeper to prepare and enter your financials for your accountant for $30/hour.

It sounds like you have very simple requirements so you will need only the basic MYOB at about $100. The upgrades are mostly for changing PAYG tax rates. You shouldnt need to worry about that so dont worry about the upgrades.

Definately $30-$35ph, I had a book keeper for my business 3-4hrs per month at $25ph, 2 years ago. My wife now does my book keeping, she is a accountant and trying to get her to do my books was like getting blood from a stone. I spose it was the last thing she wanted to do after getting home from work.

If book keepers are getting $100/h I'm going to tell her to pack in her job when she gets back from maternity leave and start a book keeping business. For that money I'll sell my business and start book keeping too.

WW, don't you think thats slight overkill? Is all that really necessary?

It depends how important financial clarity, flexibility, foresight, and time efficiency are to you........as I said, I spend less time now than before.

I realized some time ago a lot of people would benefit from the use of a similar spreadsheet and 2 friends now use it for personal finances, and I am continuing to evolve it for ease of use by others. It is modular, easily customized, and tax rates are easily updated by the user, things MYOB and Quicken deliberately impede as part of their business models.

I looked at a lot of systems and realised many commercial software packages are overkill, and 6 accountants I have discussed it with prefer to get an excel cash book for micro business.

Back